AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Oh some of that I agree with. But again the difference here is you want to see AEW? Unless you fly to America this is your only chance. Which is the same with the NFL games. You can’t compare Arthur Ashe to Wembley because AEW run various events around the New York area each year. Arthur Ashe also cost much more this year than last year. So if Wembley can keep tickets a similar price, I reckon they could do well. I don’t think they are in a position to top this years All In, but they could definitely do well still.

Of course you can compare Arthur Ashe and Wembley. It's going to be a show at a regular venue each year. The only venue locked shows WWE run are in Saudi, and the Saudis pay a premium for the event. WWE move their other big shows around to generate a site fee and so they don't burn a market out. TK doesn't see that, he pops a big number and then thinks "Let's do it again" forgetting that the novelty factor wears off quickly. There is an old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" and that is what Tony is risking, especially when he has first hand evidence of that already. 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Of course you can compare Arthur Ashe and Wembley. It's going to be a show at a regular venue each year. The only venue locked shows WWE run are in Saudi, and the Saudis pay a premium for the event. WWE move their other big shows around to generate a site fee and so they don't burn a market out. TK doesn't see that, he pops a big number and then thinks "Let's do it again" forgetting that the novelty factor wears off quickly. There is an old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" and that is what Tony is risking, especially when he has first hand evidence of that already. 

People travelled from all over the world for All In. People barely travel from other states to go to Grand Slam. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

People travelled from all over the world for All In. People barely travel from other states to go to Grand Slam. 

It wasn't like that at the first Grand Slam though was it, because it was new and exciting. You seem to be unable to concede that there was any novelty factor in the first Wembley show crowd, or in any crowd that AEW has ever drawn. AEW was built on a novelty factor, getting people to buy in to a new and exciting product was how they sold the first All In in 2018 that lead to the formation of AEW, and a big part of how the first PPV was sold in Vegas. Every first that AEW has done has drawn well, you have to give Tony his flowers for that. 

6 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Really should move Wrestle Kingdom around more.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

Really should move Wrestle Kingdom around more.

Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly Infinitony. Even New Japan that has been going for over 50 years struggles to fill the Tokyo Dome every year. The January 4th Tokyo Dome show that has been called Wrestle Kingdom since 2007 has drawn between 18 and 55 thousand over the years and they started running it as a "Supershow" after they had been in business 20 years, not 4. 

It again emphasises what a remarkable job Tony has done with AEW, but should also act as a cautionary tale, so thanks for pointing it out. 

28 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I think they'll do 70k ish with the longer build and time to show.

I'm for sure going again.

I don't think they will, I think longer build is needed to get 50k. Many went for the novelty, the novelty is instantly lost after the first time of running a stadium. 

I also think that with WWE holding PPVs/ big events in Germany and France then there is less reason for people to come from mainland Europe.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

It wasn't like that at the first Grand Slam though was it, because it was new and exciting. You seem to be unable to concede that there was any novelty factor in the first Wembley show crowd, or in any crowd that AEW has ever drawn. AEW was built on a novelty factor, getting people to buy in to a new and exciting product was how they sold the first All In in 2018 that lead to the formation of AEW, and a big part of how the first PPV was sold in Vegas. Every first that AEW has done has drawn well, you have to give Tony his flowers for that. 

Of course there was a novelty to it. It’s exactly why I said if they get 50k or more  it will be a big success. Because they have a fan base, but it’s tiny compared to WWE. So without them getting more exposure they won’t fill it again. But the last event delivered and if there is a better build up, I’m sure it will still do well.

14 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly Infinitony. Even New Japan that has been going for over 50 years struggles to fill the Tokyo Dome every year. The January 4th Tokyo Dome show that has been called Wrestle Kingdom since 2007 has drawn between 18 and 55 thousand over the years and they started running it as a "Supershow" after they had been in business 20 years, not 4. 

It again emphasises what a remarkable job Tony has done with AEW, but should also act as a cautionary tale, so thanks for pointing it out. 

I don't think I have exactly, because i'm not entirely sure what it is. It's nice in theory to say move it around not to burn out a market. If that was the point, then where? Have no clue where in North America where they'd pull a stadium sized crowd right now. WWE are only doing arenas in Europe. Australia maybe had a shot but has an even worse time difference with the US that would impact PPV sales. 

Then above you were saying Hannibal was unable to concede any novelty factor in the drawing in the crowd. Yet they're predicting 40% drop in ticket sales. Some faults are obviously being acknowledged with that. Go back to when this thread started i'm sure you'll find anything over 40k would probably be the floor for profitability for the promoter, and what people would expect to look good on TV from a fan perspective. That'd be a 50% drop on what AEW did this year. Something even Arthur Ashe hasn't quite seen from its peak.

Until the bubble's proven to burst, running Wembley same time every year to let fans know and plan ahead is better than the speculative alternatives.

By the way during the WK years New Japan has never claimed 55k. When they started the Super No Vacancy Full House There's More People Than Can Actually Fit In The Building era of announced attendances had fallen out of fashion.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

By the way during the WK years New Japan has never claimed 55k. When they started the Super No Vacancy Full House There's More People Than Can Actually Fit In The Building era of announced attendances had fallen out of fashion.

I've just remembered that the only thing worse than ratings chat is speculative attendance chat. I would like to apologise to everyone for getting involved in it. I'd also forgotten that none of it matters. Tony will keep running shows until he has spaffed away his inheritance. For AEW the audience number that is important is really 1. Shad Khan. It only matters if the nepo babies dad has has enough.