AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Looks like the confirmed turnstile count on the day was 72,265 rather than the 81,035 AEW quoted as paid attendance. So assuming 10,000 people just didn't bother to show up or resell their tickets, Tony bumped the numbers. 

Which is pro wrestling all over, I couldn't care less, but Will Ospreay got the number tattooed! 

Oof. 

This might be the best thing Ospreay has ever posted.

3 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Looks like the confirmed turnstile count on the day was 72,265 rather than the 81,035 AEW quoted as paid attendance. So assuming 10,000 people just didn't bother to show up or resell their tickets, Tony bumped the numbers. 

Which is pro wrestling all over, I couldn't care less, but Will Ospreay got the number tattooed! 

Oof. 

I don't know why but I have watched that video several times now and keep laughing along with him

53 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

Anyone could see there was well under 80k there if you compare it to other sold out Wembley events. 
That attendance is a brilliant figure, and should be lauded but instead TKs ego and obsession with WWE has made him look an utter tool. Again. 

Every sporting event lists the attendance via tickets sold, including season tickets where the holder doesn’t go to the game. Sniffs dad owns two sports teams who, like every other team, do exactly this. Why should this be any different?

Yeah he is a tool but not for saying 81,035 tickets were sold, because more than likely, they were. 

• Paid Members

So, can we reinstate Mania 3 as the biggest attendance ever now or what? I'm suddenly doubting everything I ever knew about there really only being 78,000 inside the stadium and SummerSlam 92 being bigger, with the official announced attendance being the actual number of bodies inside, and now I don't know anything about anything.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

There was A LOT of tickets on Twickets morning of.

The confirmed number of sold was announced a few days ago at over 83k

@Daddymagic thats bollocks. The capacity could have been 100k if they didn't tarp the hard cam with the floor seats as well. You could see empty seats in most sections but it was pretty full which is why 81k seemed a realistic figure with that factored in and feel is more accurate based on what I saw and the fact turnstiles aren't used for everyone. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

12 minutes ago, air_raid said:

So, can we reinstate Mania 3 as the biggest attendance ever now or what? I'm suddenly doubting everything I ever knew about there really only being 78,000 inside the stadium and SummerSlam 92 being bigger, with the official announced attendance being the actual number of bodies inside, and now I don't know anything about anything.

I bet Hogan's on the phone right now brother.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I bet Hogan's on the phone right now brother.

I saw Lister tweeting about who'd wrestled at MSG, Arena Mexico, Wembley Stadium AND the Tokyo Dome, but all the Hulkamaniacs know that only ONE wrestler sold them all out, brother. Dropped the leg on Musawa to win the IWGP title just a few short weeks before his death, then had every member of AKB48 lining up outside the Hulkster's hotel room door just for a chance of a few minutes hangin' and bangin' with the new champ, wrapped up in the 24 inch pythons, brother. Nobody sold out old Wembley better than the Hulkster, he showed that finish to Davey Boy right before he pinned Bret with it so technically that was his gate too, dude. Then he partied with Wham all night, although George was always a touch jealous of the Hulk because he couldn't sell out old Wembley and new Wembley on the same night like the Immortal Hulk Hogan did, brother.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The confirmed number of sold was announced a few days ago at over 83k

@Daddymagic thats bollocks. The capacity could have been 100k if they didn't tarp the hard cam with the floor seats as well. You could see empty seats in most sections but it was pretty full which is why 81k seemed a realistic figure with that factored in and feel is more accurate based on what I saw and the fact turnstiles aren't used for everyone. 

In fairness, you're both speculating based on your own perceptions, so his point is no more bollocks than your own non-factual "feel" that that the number is more accurate.

There are two numbers, both are quantified and caveated (turnstiles and tickets distributed respectively) and the likelihood is the truth is somewhere in the middle. Frankly, why anyone so passionately gives a flying fuck about the attendance figure is beyond me. It was a massive crowd either way for a very good show, can't we just have nice things for once without arguing about the most tedious of details?

28 minutes ago, mim731 said:

There are two numbers, both are quantified and caveated (turnstiles and tickets distributed respectively) and the likelihood is the truth is somewhere in the middle. Frankly, why anyone so passionately gives a flying fuck about the attendance figure is beyond me. It was a massive crowd either way for a very good show, can't we just have nice things for once without arguing about the most tedious of details?

I know your point is probably more aimed at the tribal obsessives off this place who are using it to gloat whichever way but I think it's interesting from a historical perspective given they were definitely trying - even if they haven't explicitly said so - to set a record.