CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

He is a twat, but he's a fantastic wrestling TV performer and there are much bigger twats than him. Jericho for instance is a Meltzer stooge whose horrible behaviour never gets reported on and is clearly a small cocked weirdo who has a problem with the fact he isnt 25 anymore.

Wrestlings filled with dickheads, and in reality he isnt in the top/bottom 500 of them, considering most of them kayfabe how much of a scumbag they are for profit. And most of them dont  know what good behaviour is considering they only stopped being pals with Marty Scurll and Joey Ryan in public, because it might hurt their pocket. Wrestling is a cunt business. Punk is intolerable, but at least he's not a nonce.

That is all for "Wrestling Is A Low Bar" with me, Ian Clay.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

This thread isn't about whether CM Punk is a wrong'un; it's about whether we think he's a twat. He's a thin-skinned Napoleon who ruined a lot of my enjoyment in my favourite wrestling promotion through his unprofessional, narrow-minded and arrogant behaviour. Yes, his behaviour isn't as bad as the abuse and noncery that goes on elsewhere, but it doesn't belittle that fact to say it isn't relevant here.

16 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

This thread isn't about whether CM Punk is a wrong'un; it's about whether we think he's a twat. He's a thin-skinned Napoleon who ruined a lot of my enjoyment in my favourite wrestling promotion through his unprofessional, narrow-minded and arrogant behaviour. Yes, his behaviour isn't as bad as the abuse and noncery that goes on elsewhere, but it doesn't belittle that fact to say it isn't relevant here.

Indeed. It’s like the so called “Good Tory”. Yeah you might be better than the others but you’re still a Tory!

• Paid Members

I've never been the biggest punk fan for 2 reasons. First his style just wasn't for me, I can appreciate how good he is but in ring and in character delivery it's just not my bag. I got a bit into was his mid card run with his SE lackeys but that brings me to the second issue I had.

Just going with the flow generally got cut off because a section of the audience saw him as so amazing it killed it for me because he could never live up to the hype they constantly created, like constantly being told an alright bit of steak you are eating is the greatest steak ever cooked ruining the meal a little a few mouthfuls in. 

Him and jericho fall in the same bracket for me, good and can be great with the right people but nowhere near as good as they seem to think they are and with a skin so thin it's astounding. Both seem like right cunts too. Everything I've read or heard about him for years makes him sound like an insufferable bellend, and he generally undermines any sensible criticism he makes by being being a bit of a bitch in about 5 ways around it. 

When I used to go to punk and hardcore shows there used to be a bunch of suburban kids who'd do the whole windmill/floorpunch fake tough guy mosh pit bullshit routine. They all used to wear Earth Crisis shirts or hoodies and take themselves Very Seriously. My friend and I used to find them hilarious to the point that 'Fake Tough Guy in an Earth Crisis Hoody' became an in joke.

When I saw Punk at the TWC supershow in Coventry I laughed at loud. He was talking to fans whilst wearing an Earth Crisis hoody. There he was a literal fake tough guy in an Earth Crisis hoody. I've never shaken that. That to me kind of encapsulates who CM Punk is.

Saying that however, Punk is one of my favourite wrestlers partially because I know how I relate to that character and partially because I think he's genuinely a smart wrestler who understands that at heart he's a carny in a carny business. As far back as the Raven feud he's used his real life and the perception of himself as holier than thou as fuel for angles.

I understand the nature of this place and that I'll (probably rightly) get laughed out of town but I fully expect him back. If we know Punk's a thin skinned prick you can bet that he knows we know. Honestly, there was too much in that first run that felt like him and AEW seeding the other shoe dropping that I think Brawl Out was too convenient.

I'll be expecting him around Double or Nothing. I'm also equally prepared to eat shit on that statement.

Punk and wrestling just seem to be a toxic relationship really. It's kinda sad that he'll probably never accept how good of a career he's actually had. 

He does look like a walking talking personification of misery though. 

I've also never been that convinced by him in the ring. I know I'm in the minority on this but he's always felt like a cover band to me. It never felt like he owned what he did. He had a few of those shit "technically good" matches that happened. Obviously had good matches with Cena but that's not exactly hard. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Just going with the flow generally got cut off because a section of the audience saw him as so amazing it killed it for me because he could never live up to the hype they constantly created, like constantly being told an alright bit of steak you are eating is the greatest steak ever cooked ruining the meal a little a few mouthfuls in

Doesn't everyone have a wrestler like that though? There are a couple of wrestlers who 99% of this board think are the bee's knees that I just don't understand the appeal of. 

As for Punk, good wrestler, miserable human. That hardly makes him unique in wrestling, because let's face it wrestling is generally a cavalcade of cunts. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Doesn't everyone have a wrestler like that though? There are a couple of wrestlers who 99% of this board think are the bee's knees that I just don't understand the appeal of

Probably, but I'm not just talking here or on other boards with punk, it seemed to extend to a vocal minority in the stands too. I was much the same with Joe, as great as he was he couldn't live up to the hype but I didn't have people hyping everything he did good or bad like with punk, nor droning on about his "pipe bomb" as the world's greatest promo or chanting his name when he's not about to be cool or dozens of others. 

There are lots of wrestlers like that, as you say, but for all the rhetoric of WWE pushing wrestlers down fans throats if they like it or not punk is the only one I feel has been done to me by the fans. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Completely normal. For those that can’t read such small text

Spoiler

“I met Shawn Michaels at a restaurant once – we’d accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that). 

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says “I’m so sorry, but we’d like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we’ll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you’d like while you’re in town.” My sister and cousin were both like “Yeah that’s cool.” and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t understand. We’ve been here for 15 minutes – we’ve just ordered. Can’t we finish our meal here?”

“Then out of nowhere Shawn Michaels shows up next to the manager and says “Paul, these guys can finish. We’ll be at the bar. I got some time.”

“And I (being a big HBK fan) said “Oh wow, uh… I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table.”

“Shawn was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, Shawn Michaels and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.”

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Completely normal. For those that can’t read such small text

Hide contents

“I met Shawn Michaels at a restaurant once – we’d accidentally been given his table. Apparently he was fond of the restaurant and had a specific table he liked, and the management had messed up and gotten their days wrong, (it was Tuesday and they thought he was coming on Thursday or something like that). 

Anyway, the manager, completely embarrassed (this is a pretty nice restaurant) comes by and says “I’m so sorry, but we’d like to move you to another table if you could be troubled, and we’ll gladly compensate you for the cost of the meal and any other meal you’d like while you’re in town.” My sister and cousin were both like “Yeah that’s cool.” and I kind of played the asshole a bit.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t understand. We’ve been here for 15 minutes – we’ve just ordered. Can’t we finish our meal here?”

“Then out of nowhere Shawn Michaels shows up next to the manager and says “Paul, these guys can finish. We’ll be at the bar. I got some time.”

“And I (being a big HBK fan) said “Oh wow, uh… I had no idea. Please feel free to give them the table.”

“Shawn was grateful, shook my hand and said thanks, then gave me a card with his number on it and told me to give him a call later. After working up the nerve, I gave him a call that night, and to make a long story short, we had a glorious 11 month love affair, man on man, that I shall never forget. Our bodies intertwined as one, and from the beauty of Morocco, to the French Riviera, to the snorkeling in the Galopagos, Shawn Michaels and I made glorious gay love to each other on six of the seven continents.”

Wasn't Punk. His post is now being meme'd to death. As is the way of the internet. Scott Steiner's math promo has been doing the rounds as well.