CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

There was a lot of bollocks chit-chat in the early AEW days.  How they would have health insurance, all the wrestlers would be employees, how the product would be "sports presentation" and all that.

In the end, it's really a very similar organisation to WWF/E - a billionaire's plaything that is mainly controlled by its top stars' egos.

• LaGoosh changed the title to CM Punk chat
On 3/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, Loki said:

In the end, it's really a very similar organisation to WWF/E - a billionaire's plaything that is mainly controlled by its top stars' egos.

I'd say in some regards it's even worse. At least in WWE everyone knew the boss was the boss, and what he said goes. In AEW there's what appears to be a relatively weak leader, which is probably why we're seeing these factions popping up and dudes thinking they can just do and say whatever the fuck they want. 

Like most people, I'm not privy to the backstage dealings in AEW, but you get a bit of a whiff that there's talent in there who think they're basically doing the company a favour by hanging around when they could be doing something better. And I don't just mean CM Punk.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Once the 'names' finally leave AEW/go back to WWE/ retire they're going to be in a worse spot. The shine is off and below the current main eventers it's a sea of meh. 

Hardly. AEW has buckets of underutilised talent.

And couldn't your point be applied to pretty much every roster in history?

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Hardly. AEW has buckets of underutilised talent.

And couldn't your point be applied to pretty much every roster in history?

Buckets of them? Sure thing.

And yes it could be applied but AEW doesn't have much going on storyline-wise in my opinion outside of said top stars which, combined with the amount of backstage nonsense and chuntering doesn't bode well. 

But I await all these under utilised talents breaking through. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

And yes it could be applied but WWE doesn't have much going on storyline-wise in my opinion outside of said top stars 

Anyway, Starks, Rush, OC, Lucha Bros, OC, Silver, Reynolds, Bandido, Top Flight, Private Party, Hobbs, Hook, Keith Lee, Takeshita, Pac, Preston Vance, Swerve, Wardlow and I’m not even counting some of the injured or absent stars. They have a stacked roster which for a start up and relatively new company, has been there issue with not enough TV time. 

The randomness of AEW's booking has probably been a secret strength, in that the ratings have never dropped off a cliff when the casual name stars have been gone. The names might help with licencing and merch. It's TV rights fees that drive revenue though. As long as ratings hold up it doesn't matter if you've got CM Punk v. Moxley or Hobbs v. Wardlow.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Anyway, Starks, Rush, OC, Lucha Bros, OC, Silver, Reynolds, Bandido, Top Flight, Private Party, Hobbs, Hook, Keith Lee, Takeshita, Pac, Preston Vance, Swerve, Wardlow and I’m not even counting some of the injured or absent stars. They have a stacked roster which for a start up and relatively new company, has been there issue with not enough TV time. 

What about OC?