CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

I love Punk and his commitment to being an old-school beefer who refuses let anything go and would rather be right than compromise in the slightest. 

Him being in AEW got me much more interested in that company, too, and I thought his run there was pretty fucking great. Showed why he is one of the best of the modern era with his promo, angle and in-ring work. 

I hope they can all sort it out so he can come back, but I'm not exactly holding my breath. 

Also, Jericho is so obviously a stooge and I'm willing to bet (in this most recent case) that Punk genuinely had his health and wellbeing in mind above all else, given his history,

Punks at his best when he’s not hiding he’s a cunt. When he’s at his blaming everyone else for him being a good upper carder and not The Guy that he has delusions of being, then he’s not fun to have in wrestling.

I want wrestlers to take themselves and their careers seriously. To make sure their character is strong and they get what their level deserves. But this public bitchihg and whining puts me off when it’s from guys who preach about taking wrestling seriously and wanting it to be a good place. keep that between you and the boss. Why would you want to work with a guy who’s this torn faced and physically assaults people at work. If this was in any of our jobs you’d be sending them job adverts and saying how good that looks for them to go try, not encouraging them to sit next to you

• Paid Members

To be fair to Punk, it feels like he has been baited and fallen for it hook, line and sinker by Dave and Jericho. Felt a bit weird yesterday reading that comment from Dave about Punk seemingly out of the blue, makes you wonder if Jericho has gotten a sniff of Punk returning and gone running to Meltzer to poke the bear, knowing full well Punk will take the bait. 

I've never liked Punk in all honest, never saw the hype, never saw the outrage, but his AEW run was sublime. Regardless of what you think of Phil Brooks, the AEW version of CM Punk was very good and brought along some very memorable moments and its a shame if its gone the way of his WWE run. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Felt a bit weird yesterday reading that comment from Dave about Punk seemingly out of the blue, makes you wonder if Jericho has gotten a sniff of Punk returning and gone running to Meltzer to poke the bear, knowing full well Punk will take the bait. 

It wasn't out of the blue - Dax Harwood was talking about him on his podcast, and there's been talk that, if he returned to AEW after his injury, that would be coming up very soon. 

I think the great disappointment of CM Punk taking himself - and particularly the whole "punk rock" thing - too seriously is that if he ever went back to WWE or AEW and leaned in to the fact that he'd gone back on his word, I honestly think he could do some of his best work as a smarmy sell-out corporate heel, the wrestling equivalent of an underground band signing to a major label and it changing them overnight. But I don't think he'd ever do it, either because he'd see as undermining his character, or because it might cut a little too close to home. 

• Paid Members

I was surprised that many people thought Punk would come back to AEW. Considering his life philosophy is based around absolutely refusing to forgive anyone for anything ever, I really couldn't see it, especially as the people he has issues with are at the top of the company. It's not like the Colt Cabana thing, he was almost never around and could be avoided.

That being said, considering that forgiveness does not appear to be a word in the CM Punk dictionary, does anyone think that he would make an exception if WWE rang him up and offered him the main event of next year's Wrestlemania? I genuinely have no idea how he'd respond to that.

3 minutes ago, Nick James said:

To be fair to Punk, it feels like he has been baited and fallen for it hook, line and sinker by Dave and Jericho. Felt a bit weird yesterday reading that comment from Dave about Punk seemingly out of the blue, makes you wonder if Jericho has gotten a sniff of Punk returning and gone running to Meltzer to poke the bear, knowing full well Punk will take the bait.

TfH8klW.png

It's not exactly out of the blue as people have been speculating about Punk returning for a while now, and Punk has been doing plenty of wrestling related social media posts to keep himself as a topic of discussion online.

No idea if the "legal letter" is something that has been mentioned or alluded to previously and just been overlooked in Observer updates. Sean Ross Sapp was certainly doing victory laps yesterday over a report he had at the time saying there was no guarantee the Punk would turn up for the match. It appears the gist of it was known in certain circles.

The fact it come out on a forum post rather than some breaking story, makes me think if this was regarded as new news to them it would have been highlighted as a way of selling subs.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think the great disappointment of CM Punk taking himself - and particularly the whole "punk rock" thing - too seriously

I think the punk rock thing is an interesting element of this. Not to sidetrack this with a music discussion but I like some punk rock. However I think the mentality/ethos of the people in the punk rock scene is generally pretty phoney and weak. There's a reason most old punk rockers vote Tory. "Us verses them" and "we don't give a fuck" is the predominant thing Punk seems to have taken from the punk scene. I saw an interview where he was talking about how he didn't care about the Wrestlemania match with Undertaker and how "punk rock" that was. Imagine being put in a significant position on a show that millions of people are watching and you're getting paid millions of dollars to perform on and thinking that not caring about it at all is a good thing (and even worse, admitting it like it's something admirable)! He's always talking about how much he doesn't care, how he does/says whatever he wants and doing things "punk rock". The thing is most people grow out of that type of thinking once they move out their parents house. 

Edited by LaGoosh