4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

They did their first proper house show last night. Crowd shots looked pretty full, in a relatively small building that would hold a little over 3,000.

• Ethan Page v. Shawn Dean
  • Ethan Page v. HOOK
  • Jeff Jarrett v. Brian Pillman Jr.
  • Ruby Soho v. Haley J - post-match angle with Skye Blue
  • Darby Allin & Orange Cassidy v. The Butcher & The Blade
  • QT Marshall v. Pat Buck
  • Britt Baker v. Anna Jay
  • Powerhouse Hobbs v. Christopher Daniels
  • Jon Moxley & Claudio v. Big Bill & Lee Moriarty

Mox after missing out on bleeding all over the UK and Ireland this week, couldn't help himself here.

To me that looks a solid enough show and I'm sure I'd have a great time at it. However im surprised at the lack of name power for their first house show. Get the ball rolling as it were. I wouldn't expect all their top stars but it does kind of feel Moxley was the star and it had with Castignoli, Cassidy, Allen and Baker as the next level names. 

I've become the type of loser that finds the house show environment far more enjoyable than modern wrestling TV. Fair to say I'm more excited about scouring twitter/youtube for phone clips of Jarrett vs Pillman Jr than I am to watch Wrestlemania or any actual AEW show. Real wrestling. 

3 hours ago, Nick James said:

As much as it could be said in AEW's earlier days that they just expected you to know who a lot of people are, I genuinely think they have built up enough good will through the multiple one offs that people should just wait and see. I only know of Vikingo from GIFs on Twitter and nothing else, but the guy looks a huge spectacle and why not chuck him in with Kenny while Kenny is fit. If he was chucked in with Kip Sabian the opposite would be said that why is he being wasted? 

The Vikingo thing is a different case but I disagree with this generally. It might be a different experience for people that watch Rampage, but I feel like someone I've never heard of shows up every week on Dynamite with the presumption you know them. This week it was the girl in the QTV skit. It's an annoying trait for me, just like TKs obsession with attaching hot, up and coming acts like Hobbs with heatless scrubs like QT Marshall. 

• Paid Members

I mean, just one quick twitter search of Vikingo brings up this absolute insane video. The guy is a human highlight reel (Sorry, Cole). Im super excited for this match just to actually see one of Vikingos matches.

Edited by Nick James

33 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

It might be a different experience for people that watch Rampage, but I feel like someone I've never heard of shows up every week on Dynamite with the presumption you know them. This week it was the girl in the QTV skit.

Other than Hobbs, QT, and Aaron Solo I don't think you were supposed to know any of the other people. The bit was more about knowing TMZ than the people actually in it.

https://www.tmz.com/watch/0-lnwlxryd/

FTR bald giving it the “we have decided our future” shite on twitter. Now at stage I’m gonna Mute him and hope he takes his winey arse back to wwe 

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Louch said:

Guessing those who need every character explained don’t watch normal tv where character build a journey. 

In some shows chacters are built and foreshadowed on TV and some aren't, and It's the same in wrestling.

Did taker or Brock get big TV build like Razor did? Sometimes the blind suprise is best, sometimes not, but it's picking the best for each character that makes great booking much as it makes good TV writing.

Edited by Tommy!

9 minutes ago, Louch said:

FTR bald giving it the “we have decided our future” shite on twitter. Now at stage I’m gonna Mute him and hope he takes his winey arse back to wwe 

Posting pics with Enzo, too. I don't think I've done a bigger 180 on a team than FTR.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Posting pics with Enzo, too. I don't think I've done a bigger 180 on a team than FTR.

Likewise. All Dax had to do was shut the fuck up on social media and all would be fine. He's best mates with Punk though so it makes sense that he's a whiny annoying bitch. Such a shame because they can be fantastic.

FTR vs Sting/Darby already happened and was tremendous. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Just because it seems to get mentioned quite often on here lately; am I the only person who doesn't give a fuck about Tony Khan's twitter activity?

Speak for yourself, I can't wait to see his reaction to the three red cards today.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Did taker or Brock get big TV build like Razor did? Sometimes the blind suprise is best, sometimes not, but it's picking the best for each character that makes great booking much as it makes good TV writing.

It was Brock's RAW debut twenty years ago yesterday, and when it was getting shared on Twitter last night, a few people were joking about "oh, well, how was anyone expected to understand without weeks of build?", and a couple of people replied saying, "that's different, he was supposed to be a monster that you didn't know anything about".

Except that isn't true, because the moment he appeared, Jim Ross shouted "THAT'S BROCK LESNAR", explained his NCAA record, and called him the hottest free agent in wrestling. I'm assuming the "they haven't done enough to explain who this wrestler is" crowd are expecting the commentators to be completely silent all night?

Or is it going to be like Raj Giri complaining that he didn't understand the significance of CM Punk using his old ROH entrance music, and then when it was explained to him that the commentators gave you all the context you needed, claiming that he'd been watching it on mute so couldn't hear the commentary - but presumably one of those selective mute buttons TVs have these days, where he could still hear the entrance music?

You're right, that what works for one doesn't work for the other. Someone earlier in the thread called Vikingo a human highlight reel, and that's spot on. I'd argue that one way not to build a match featuring a "human highlight reel", is to play endless actual highlight reels of what he can do first. Let his work speak for itself and get the organic reaction on the night. Otherwise it's like putting all the best bits of the film in the trailer.