• Paid Members

When's Adam Cole back? Could we have him throw his lot in with the rest of the Elite and we get a blood and guts against the BCC, or would we need a extra man for them as well? If that does turn out to be the case who would fit that role? 

22 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

When's Adam Cole back? Could we have him throw his lot in with the rest of the Elite and we get a blood and guts against the BCC, or would we need a extra man for them as well? If that does turn out to be the case who would fit that role? 

29th March is his first match back to coincide with the debut of All Access. I'd expect him on next week to set something up.

They did their first proper house show last night. Crowd shots looked pretty full, in a relatively small building that would hold a little over 3,000.

• Ethan Page v. Shawn Dean
  • Ethan Page v. HOOK
  • Jeff Jarrett v. Brian Pillman Jr.
  • Ruby Soho v. Haley J - post-match angle with Skye Blue
  • Darby Allin & Orange Cassidy v. The Butcher & The Blade
  • QT Marshall v. Pat Buck
  • Britt Baker v. Anna Jay
  • Powerhouse Hobbs v. Christopher Daniels
  • Jon Moxley & Claudio v. Big Bill & Lee Moriarty

Mox after missing out on bleeding all over the UK and Ireland this week, couldn't help himself here.

• Paid Members

Tony has really taken offence to people saying they don't know who Vikingo is. He's been very active on twitter all weekend, accusing people of being bots etc. I've seen more people calling out people saying they don't know who Vikingo is, than actual people saying it. 

Will Washington hit the nail on the head with this tweet.

As much as it could be said in AEW's earlier days that they just expected you to know who a lot of people are, I genuinely think they have built up enough good will through the multiple one offs that people should just wait and see. I only know of Vikingo from GIFs on Twitter and nothing else, but the guy looks a huge spectacle and why not chuck him in with Kenny while Kenny is fit. If he was chucked in with Kip Sabian the opposite would be said that why is he being wasted? 

• Awards Moderator

I’ve never heard of Vikingo but the way they talked about him on Rampage was more than enough for me to understand 

1) He’s a big deal

2) Him having a match with Kenny is a big deal

3) That match shouldn’t be anything less than spectacular.

I don’t think I need any more and I quite like the sense of not knowing too much. Thinking back, I’d never seen Rey Mysterio before he debuted in WWE so his first night on SmackDown completely amazed me. It’d have been totally different if I’d watched him for years in WCW.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've never bought into this whole "Fans don't know who they are so they don't care" thing. As a fan I've always been interested in seeing new wrestlers especially when they have buzz/hype around them. 

I've never seen Vikingo before but all the intrigue has me very excited to see it. Fans don't need any more reason than that. The people complaining about a lack of build are the types who will complain regardless so fuck them.

Also there's few things cooler in wrestling than when some dude you've never heard of turns up out of nowhere and just blows you away. Why would you want a bunch of nonsense beforehand to take that unique moment away?

Edited by LaGoosh

Sometimes I actually prefer going in blind and not having seen a bazillion clips or GIFs of someone doing their thing. Can make things more exciting as you don't know what's coming. You definitely don't need to know the ins and outs of everyone to enjoy them. A little hype can go a long way but it doesn't need to be overdone every time.

• Paid Members

Just because it seems to get mentioned quite often on here lately; am I the only person who doesn't give a fuck about Tony Khan's twitter activity? I don't follow him, I don't follow any wrestling-related accounts for that matter, so when I'm watching shows as good as Dynamite was this week Khan arguing with bots is the last thing on my mind.

He's just a wrestling nerd. A nerd with a lot of money and a lot of time on his hands, but still a nerd. If people want to let a nerd's twitter account detract from the shows, that probably says more about them than it does about him. 

I hope they do the 'North Carolina' entrance for him. It's one of those weird things in wrestling I like...along with Joooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Mooxxxxlleeeeeeeeeeeeey!

Just my guilty pleasure 

• Paid Members

I think announcing Vikingo vs. Omega and it building up a ton of hype and excitement on social media is far more effective than anything else they could have done. Seeing a genuine buzz around a wrestler and a match will work wonders compared to "here's a three minute video package" and a month of him beating jobbers. He's a generational talent that is as close as we'll likely ever get to seeing Rey on WCW TV for the first time and realising there's a whole world of possibilities for what wrestling could be - when he's only available for a limited amount of time, maybe just this one match, why would you waste him on nothing matches when you could get the best out of him?

It's just people online - and the worst wrestling journalists - exposing their own ignorance, and worse, their own incuriosity, about wrestling they haven't seen before, plus critics of AEW arguing in bad faith, and people inventing a "casual fan" archetype to get mad on behalf of. Anyone watching AEW is likely at least tangentially aware of chat about it on social media, because that's how media works now. You'll get more out of seeing other people hyped up for this match than any build they can manage (given there's no TV between now and the match) would achieve.

Imagine this attitude towards any other media - everyone's raving about a new movie, but you tell everyone it can't be that good because you haven't seen the trailer, and somehow it's the director's fault that you haven't. I can't understand why people who don't understand "there's a wrestler you haven't seen before, he's awesome and everyone loves him" even watch wrestling in the first place.