Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Ricky Starks randomly liking photos of MVP today, you say?

IMG_7415.thumb.jpeg.22085e8fc904872fcf812c37c9af922a.jpeg

There is nothing more certain than the fact that - upon hearing this story - Ricky Starks has since bought MVP a pint. Forget Randy Orton’s sulky face whenever he has to do a job. It pales in comparison to Ricky Starks’ face whenever he has to work Chris Jericho. Pure hatred.

This has reminded me how fucking cool I thought Starks looked at Revolution 2023 by blocking the Judas Effect with his POSE and by the end of the year he was being pinned in an eight man with 'Hide your midlife crisis Bon Jovi wives' Jericho by World's End.

Edited by Chili

• 3 weeks later...

Eddie Izzard's latest tour looks rubbish.

In all seriousness though, I don't get Jericho.  Throughout his career he's shown a high level of self-awareness, and been smart to his place in wrestling and his career trajectory.  And yet in the last 2 or 3 years he seems to have in reality become a parody of himself.  He throws out utterly lunatic alt-right views, has morphed into the bloated ageing rockstar character he was riffing off a few years ago, and it sounds like he's been decidedly non-PC in the back.

For many years he was one of my favourite wrestlers, now I can't stand him.  The idea of being stuck... on a ship.. with him or dem wans, sounds like a literal interpretation of hell.

Maybe he's the same and I've changed as I grew older.  But yeah.... wtf.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Maybe he's just at the age where he doesn't give a shit anymore and he's just doing whatever he wants? I don't know. But yeah, totally agree. He's a mess these days.

That would be fine, but he's utterly ludicrous now. I don't actually care about his political views or anything as who cares really, but Jericho was always clever enough to reinvent himself and adapt to business. Now he's just bloated and seems to take himself way too seriously, which he never seemed to before. He's morphed into the character he was first doing on AEW

8 minutes ago, Factotum said:

That would be fine, but he's utterly ludicrous now. I don't actually care about his political views or anything as who cares really, but Jericho was always clever enough to reinvent himself and adapt to business. Now he's just bloated and seems to take himself way too seriously, which he never seemed to before. He's morphed into the character he was first doing on AEW

Oh I'd much rather he wasn't. but the whole reinvention and stuff like that over the years was to try and keep his spot at the top. Perhaps now he knows he's not getting anywhere near that now, so he might as well just fuck around.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Oh I'd much rather he wasn't. but the whole reinvention and stuff like that over the years was to try and keep his spot at the top. 

I think there's an element of that, in that the longer he stuck around the WWE the more likely he was to end up in midcard feuds, so by taking those leaves of absence and coming back "reinvented" there was more chance of him getting at least a cup of coffee in the main event picture again.

But I think his capacity for reinvention was somewhat overstated, and actually what kept him fresh was that - before the days of part-timers being the biggest stars in WWE - he was the only person who took extended periods of time off, so there was always a sense of absence making the heart grow fonder, and of not burning through every available match. Now, he seems to have given up on his ambitions to be an actor or broader pop culture figure, and AEW having a much less intensive touring schedule and generally allowing their wrestlers more freedom around outside bookings means that touring with Fozzy, doing the Jericho Cruise, popping up in DDT or PWG, none of that stuff is preventing him from also being a TV regular, so he's not needed to take the time off. 

What's odd is that, regardless of the reasons, he always seemed like he recognised the value of those periods of time off, yet he's not really taken any in AEW, and is absolutely stinking up the show. He can't be completely oblivious to that, surely?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

But I think his capacity for reinvention was somewhat overstated,

I agree. I think his "Nick Bockwinkel but not as good" spell is rated so highly because so few WWE fans from 2008 onwards are aware of Bockwinkel's act, and the "You just made the list" era, while rewarding, was still Jericho just being his old dork character, except wearing a scarf and using different words, yet people considered it a reinvention. He was never Brodus Clay storming out as the Funkasaurus, was he?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

He can't be completely oblivious to that, surely?

He's definitely aware of the growing fan resentment as he has addressed it in interviews. He puts it down to something along the lines of anyone doing something at his level for such a long time the fans will naturally turn on them but in hindsight his run will be celebrated, which doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me. I think also despite the hatred/apathy he still has the occasional good night which probably gives him the self justification he needs to just crack on with whatever he's doing. I'm guessing he's probably checked out of things a bit these days anyway. His booking in AEW used to be very solid and consistent with clearly laid out stories, angles and progression that he had a huge hand in putting together but he's just floated around doing fuck all for the past year or so. He's either run out of creative juice or just can't be arsed anymore.

Edited by LaGoosh