Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Factotum said:

seems to take himself way too seriously, which he never seemed to before. 

I don’t know. I remember him throwing a bit of a tantrum after his match with RVD at King Of The Ring 2002 was met with less than glowing reviews. He wrote a big response and everything and seemed quite angry that everyone didn’t rate it as highly as he did. That only sticks out in the memory to me because it was the first time I thought he seemed like a right up his own arse twat. 

I’ve been completely out of the loop with wrestling for years now so I haven’t seen much at all of Jericho. I did stumble upon his appearance on True Geordie’s podcast whenever that was though. Thought he came off like a proper pretentious, arrogant, delusions of grandeur div on there. Comparing himself to David Bowie and Mick Jagger  and referring to himself in the third person and shit. I just remember thinking the way he was talking was all a bit David Brent. Also kept banging on about how dead hard he was and how he “would’ve bitten Brock’s nose off” if their little backstage confrontation would’ve escalated further. Massive twat 🤣 

4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I did stumble upon his appearance on True Geordie’s podcast whenever that was though. Thought he came off like a proper pretentious, arrogant, delusions of grandeur div on there.

And how did Jericho come off?

He's very much been having a year off hasn't he. It's mad he hasn't taken a break as Jericho in AEW from 2019-early 2021 had some skill moments. Especially for his self aware comedy. Bubbly, funny vignettes, release the hounds etc. He's been cack for a bit and even the ex JAS members have through sheer will of refusal to be buried, shook away the Dementor @Supremo would say.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

And how did Jericho come off?

Ha. Yeah it was a meeting of minds alright. As I recall it was a lot of Geordie going ‘how are you so great at everything’ and Jericho then basically proceeding to tell him why he’s the greatest wrestler, the most amazing musician and the funniest, most creative, toughest, biggest cocked man to ever exist. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t know. I remember him throwing a bit of a tantrum after his match with RVD at King Of The Ring 2002 was met with less than glowing reviews. He wrote a big response and everything and seemed quite angry that everyone didn’t rate it as highly as he did. That only sticks out in the memory to me because it was the first time I thought he seemed like a right up his own arse twat. 

Ah, you've just reminded me of a very brief period in about 2002/3 when I was a member of the Chris Jericho website's forums for a couple of months (I'd almost forgotten). When you went to the website, that response was the first thing that greeted you. I remember him signing off, saying that he was done with the forums, and interacting with fans online. He did seem very thin-skinned. Even his biggest fans on that forum thought so, including the forum admins.

I suppose I should qualify never used to take himself seriously. He always had an ego and he was a performer who often had a chip on his shoulder as he was badly let down at times when he was hot as hell in both WCW and WWF/E. All performers have egos, so he wasn't Mr Humble, but the latest version of him seems to think he's some top 5 of all time and he has zero sense of humour, which he always seemed to have.

• Paid Members
On 2/2/2024 at 2:31 PM, Factotum said:

but the latest version of him seems to think he's some top 5 of all time

Again, this is nothing new. He throws around the "first Undisputed Champion" tag like it makes him top tier, and always has. He nearly walked out on the company AND his WrestleMania cheque when they asked him to lose to Fandango, until Taker talked him into going ahead with it. Then later in the year gave this quote to Live Audio Wrestling, referring to himself with third person delusions of grandeur ;

"Not to be a jerk, but he was working with Chris Jericho in his first match ever on the show at WrestleMania. If that doesn’t put you on a different level, then nothing will. I knew that he’d have to come back down to earth at some point, because the fans aren’t gonna believe in him working with other people, because there’s not a lot of Chris Jerichos out there, and I say that with all due respect."

That was 11 years ago. He's always taken himself THAT seriously.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

That was 11 years ago. He's always taken himself THAT seriously.

I don't make him wrong on those points though. He IS a top star. As I said of course he has an ego, he's a performer and most wrestlers think they're the best. He has a chip on his shoulder sometimes as I think he believes he gets fucked over sometimes, and I can't say he's been wrong in the past. HOWEVER, he did also come across as a guy who was amusing and fairly well liked by everyone. That's really slipped the last few years.

• 1 month later...

Jericho is on Dynamite tonight.

Stolen from Reddit, but that will bring his total to 215 out of 236 Dynamites - 91% of them.

That’s the most appearances of any wrestler.  No wonder we’re sick of him!

I really want him to leave AEW. Not only because he's overexposed completely but because I want to see him worm his way back into WWE and see what BS he spins. He'll make CM Punk look like the most honest guy in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god those trademarks. I reckon he's going to do one of those lifestyle guru cult characters or something which with Jericho will probably be annoyingly good then shit and completely wear out it's welcome.

Honestly if he just buggered off before Full Gear last year and came back recently we'd think he's less of annoyed sod, for now.