Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

if you were Uncle Paul and you had chance to have Roman Reigns, Cody Rhodes, The Rock, John Cena, CM Punk and Chris Jericho all on the marquee, even if it was just for one or two nights, wouldn’t you do it?

Ordinarily, I’d agree with you; but with that NDA being present, I think it’s far less likely that they’d bother. I’m not completely aware of the specifics behind an NDA, but if anyone were to break it while Jericho was outside of AEW, would the company feel quite as strongly about enforcing it, particularly if they did so in a way that didn’t make the company look bad? 

I might be totally wrong, but he’s of such limited value these days that I’d be very surprised if they’d bother with him while things are going as well as they are. You’re potentially signing a grenade with the pin pulled halfway out.

Jericho has acknowledged himself that he and Triple H haven’t always seen eye-to-eye, so I suppose I’m factoring this in also. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Almost certain WWE would sign Jericho in a heartbeat.

I don’t think the baggage would matter to them at all. They brought Punk back despite all his baggage and they’re getting ready to launch a, “forty years of Hulkamania,” celebration.

Ultimately, they’re in a wrestling war. Even for as worthless as he might be as a performer these days, he’d still be incredibly valuable for the optics of another big star, “coming home.” I also imagine Hunter would love to  have another example of him and Nick Khan working through personal differences for the sake of the company. He’d get the photo of him and Jericho pointing at each other out even quicker than the Punk one!

I do wonder/hope that the Riddle sacking is a sign of things to come, and Endeavor are going to be stricter when it comes to sexual assault accusations, but I’d still expect different approaches to guys who are bigger stars, as depressing as that is. I’m not sure Matt Riddle gets sacked  in the manner he did if he’s a Wrestlemania headliner.

Edited by Supremo

26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

they’re getting ready to launch a, “forty years of Hulkamania,” celebration.

Ugh, I didn’t know about Hogan. As for your point about Punk, there’s an obvious difference between causing trouble backstage and the allegations levelled at Jericho

18 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Its just too hard to imagine the TKO/WWE higher ups hanging about with someone that's past his best, with limited value and a list of NDAs for sexual assault to their name.

Well yeah, but they also marked Vince as a potential reputational risk and have essentially squeezed him out. If they thought there was value in Jericho and that they could get away with signing him, they certainly would; just as they’d wheel out Vince on screen regularly if they thought it worthwhile.

I suppose the best way of putting it is like this - if we knew exactly what’s alleged to have happened, the story isn’t going to resurface. We know the details, it’s no longer news when it’s old. But all we know at the moment it’s that there’s probably an NDA, we don’t actually know what it’s designed to hide - so there’s potentially a major story that could cause a PR nightmare that they may not want to stage manage; particularly if the allegations are dark.

With that in mind, I don’t think they’d weigh up the risk/reward in Jericho’s favour. I’m not suggesting for a second it’s a moral stance, it rarely is with major companies. It’s more that I think they’d view signing him as more trouble than it could possibly be worth.

Circumstances could change of course, depending on how things play out for Jericho over the coming months.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Jericho has acknowledged himself that he and Triple H haven’t always seen eye-to-eye, so I suppose I’m factoring this in also. 

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

They brought Punk back despite all his baggage

34 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

As for your point about Punk, there’s an obvious difference between causing trouble backstage and the allegations levelled at Jericho

To play Devil's Advocate..... would a bridge between Y2J and HHH be harder to build than the one between Punk and Hunter? Given that on the day he walked out, Triple H told Punk he'd be putting him over at Mania XXX if he stayed and Punk massively sounded off at him about only volunteering to do so "now" (2014) instead of "two years ago" (his words, not mine) when it would have really helped him?

I don't think there was ever a serious bruhaha between Y2J and Hunter, I think it was just personalities clashing, similar to how HBK and Rocky never really got on, without actually having a real spat.

EDIT - Punk's Spidey Sense is tingling that yet again, here he is being discussed in a thread that has nothing to do with him. David's too, for different reasons.

Edited by air_raid

16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

To play Devil's Advocate..... would a bridge between Y2J and HHH be harder to build than the one between Punk and Hunter?

Oh absolutely not - but it would give Triple H another reason not to sign the guy. He might be willing to make the case to sign a friend in this situation, but he may feel less inclined to do so for Jericho.

There are a combination of factors at play now that don’t make a WWE return the safe fallback option that it once was for Jericho. Perhaps they would still sign him, but I certainly don’t see it as the guaranteed option that it once was. 

If this wasn’t a factor, and he wanted to go back to WWE, I’m pretty certain that it would have happened. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2024 at 9:27 AM, Supremo said:

I also imagine Hunter would love to  have another example of him and Nick Khan working through personal differences for the sake of the company. He’d get the photo of him and Jericho pointing at each other out even quicker than the Punk one!

He didn’t even wait for Jericho to be released from AEW before posting it!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Just realized, that pitch from years back from Y2J to Vince to work Barrett at Mania so he could make his story wanting to win the ICT for a record-extending 10th (in company numbers) time, to which Vince replied “Nobody cares about the fucking Intercontinental title”…

…. be a much better pitch today, wouldn’t it?

• Paid Members

This is hilarious. Not only did Jericho get mouthy at MVP on his own cruise and get knocked out, he then ran away from MVP and got in a lift whilst shouting about how MVP is a jobber whilst furiously pressing the button on the lift. What a image, fantastic stuff.

https://www.bodyslam.net/2024/01/10/exclusive-former-wwe-champion-knocked-out-chris-jericho-during-altercation-on-jericho-cruise/

5 minutes ago, Nick James said:

This is hilarious. Not only did Jericho get mouthy at MVP on his own cruise and get knocked out, he then ran away from MVP and got in a lift whilst shouting about how MVP is a jobber whilst furiously pressing the button on the lift. What a image, fantastic stuff.

https://www.bodyslam.net/2024/01/10/exclusive-former-wwe-champion-knocked-out-chris-jericho-during-altercation-on-jericho-cruise/

FROM BEAN TO CUP. YOU FUCK UP. FUCKITY BYE CHRIS!

• Paid Members

Hilarious. Someone needs to spill all the details on that MVP story. How far into his own cruise did Jericho get knocked out? Did MVP continue to work the cruise? Did Jericho continue doing the, “Oh yeah! Party time!” host shtick, despite MVP now being cock of the cruise?

The way in which the tide has turned on Chris, and everyone now seems willing to share stories that make him look a dickhead, I suspect there’s loads more to come. Life intimidating art. At some point, he became Spinal Tap.

Edited by Supremo