AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

To me, it's always been a key part of his character that Eddie always loses the big one. His lack of success is the explanation for why he occasionally snaps and loses his mind. He's his own worst enemy. 

Absolutely. It's a "Man vs Self" story in the same way that Hangman Page's is, only Eddie can't win the way Page has. 

Not that it should matter for anyone watching on TV, but I've spent time with Eddie Kingston and have a few mutual friends with him, and you could barely fit a sheet of paper in the space between the real Eddie and the character. That's what makes it work - he's an angry dude who holds a grudge and keeps getting in his own way, but with a heart of gold behind it. He's tough, but he's vulnerable. None of those aspects contradict each other, and they all feel 100% real, in all the ways that someone like MJF trying their hardest to be a heel doesn't. Above all, I can look in Eddie's eyes when he's cutting a promo and not see the slightest sense that it's a man reading from a script or playing a part, I believe every word of it.

Edited by BomberPat

AEW have shown that they are very good at long term booking. Eddie needs to win the big one eventually, whether that is a belt or just a marquee match doesn't matter too much at this point. There are only so many times someone can come up short before it effects their credibility long term. 

I'm sure AEW have a plan for all this. Eddies redemption story is a great one to tell but it's not time yet, not with Hangman about to complete his own. 

• Paid Members

Got to say, reading some of the opinions and thoughts here have certainly given me some insight into the character that are making me appreciate him a bit more. This whole being new thing is a lovely reminder of what it was like back in the 80s.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

Kingston is wonderful. His character has really deep self loathing in my view. Like the character presents as the hard man but really he's actually very vulnerable. It leads to him being ever so slightly unhinged and a detriment to both himself and anyone around him. Way more depth than your average upper midcarder. The thing is that the crowd really do root for him. He gets monster pops but you know that the self loathing doesn't allow his character to hear that.

• Paid Members

Another really enjoyable show bar the finish. Don't mind heels getting heat but not these fuckers and not if it continues this OC/Matt thing that's been going on forever. 

Hangman apologising and then immediately threatening to ruin the Young Bucks was amazing. 

Good promo vids right throughout the show. Super work from the announce team in these vids. Taz is just superb in general. 

The live Rampages have such a different feel. Love that ring canvas too.

Good strong wins for JB and Dante underneath. Billionaire Tone really will give anyone a payday though, eh?

I know the end segment of Rampage is a ratings graveyard, but fuck me give someone on your ppv a go home segment than having HFO, who aren’t on the card, standing talk. Glad we have 3 months between ppvs, as I have had my fill with groups of heels laying the good guys to waste this week 

hamgman with the calm threat while wearing the shirt he had on when the Bucks kicked him out of the elite. Intentional or not, these touches just give depth 

23 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The Ariya Daivari match reminded me, I don’t think we’ve seen Tony Nese since that week he was sat in the crowd. That’s probably good.

He's been on Dark once or twice based on the YouTube thumbnails, looking just as blank as ever. At what point do game developers update the official CAW template from clean-shaven and short back-and-sides to long greasy hair and hipster beard? 

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

…Okada isn’t coming in to wrestle Matt Hardy, surely?!

I was thinking about who Okada would come in to face the other week.

Every NJPW wrestler that’s shown up has lost, Okada is completely different though he’s the top guy so there’s no way he can come in to lose.

He’s facing Shingo in the Night 1 main event for Wrestle Kingdom so maybe after beating Matt we get a tease for something else for Night 2? 

I enjoyed the show but something tells me, based on that ending, that this HFO/Cassidy story isn't done and I so, so, so wish it would be done. Hasn't this thing been going on for six months or more now?

I swear to god, if they bring in Okada and Ishii to fuck around with the HFO, I'll be pissed.

Just now, 69MeDon said:

I enjoyed the show but something tells me, based on that ending, that this HFO/Cassidy story isn't done and I so, so, so wish it would be done. Hasn't this thing been going on for six months or more now?

I swear to god, if they bring in Okada and Ishii to fuck around with the HFO, I'll be pissed.

I find it hard to get invested in wrestlers who are not full-time in AEW (Suzuki did nothing for me - his matches felt inconsequential) but the HFO/Cassidy feud might be the worst storyline in the history of AEW. Hardy is abysmal as a character. The whole stable is the most comprehensive collection of mediocre I’ve seen in some time. I’m assuming that this will conclude with the long-threatened hair stop, but fuck me, I don’t want to see it.