AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I was pleasently surprised by the fact that I actually enjoyed Billy Gunn and Darby, the finisher kickout aside, because when Gunn was walking down to the ring I thought, "in 2021, why am I watching Billy Gunn in a featured match on TV? Also, why does Billy Gunn have one of the best win/loss records in the company?"

I skipped Jade vs Red Velvet because I just don't care.

With Adam Cole leaving Fish to get tapped out, I wonder if they are going to go to the SuperKliq feuding with Fish/KOR and possibly Roderick Strong?

I wonder will we be seeing Hangman vs Danielson at Winter Is Coming?

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

I’ve got a surprising amount of time for the Gunn Club now they’re heels. Billy’s kids are an excellent pair of annoying pricks. I also love their douchey gimmick of having this amazing, undefeated record because they only ever wrestle jobbers. Plus, and this is the big one, they’re a lower card heel group that aren’t the HFO. That’s the bare minimum I’m looking for these days.

As has already been mentioned, Big Show, Darby and Sting vs. The Gunn Club is a completely acceptable novelty six man. Big Show throwing Darby at people and Sting no-selling the Famouser through a table? I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the twenty year anniversary of Double Trouble Crap on a Stick. 

• Paid Members

Billy Gunn kicking out at 1 never bothered me because Darby is about 1/3 his size and had next to no other offense during the rest of the match. 
Never has the difference between now and then been more obvious than seeing a nearly 60 year old Ass Man stood next to Darby Allin.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Never has the difference between now and then been more obvious than seeing a nearly 60 year old Ass Man stood next to Darby Allin.

To be fair Billy Gunn is an absolute monster of a man and bigger than most people who have ever lived. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed the opener. I agree that we'll probably get Show/Sting/Darby against the Gunns. 

That Red Velvet/Jade Cargill match was pretty grim. Jade seems to be getting well over with the crowd. Assuming Rosa beats Jamie Hayter on Dynamite this week the semi final match could be Cargill's best match. It's another case like Britt Baker where if she's got the right opponent she can be in some great matches. 

The Marshall & Punk interviews were what they were. Funny to hear Punk doing the Jim Cornette "Soloooo, Camoratoooo, Ogogooooo", but I think Tony Khan has already mentioned how much of an influence he finds Cornette, and there are plenty of nods in other segments on other shows as well. 

Tag match was decent. I can't wait for Kyle O'Reilly to come and reunite with Bobby Fish. 

These episodes fly by. 

Am I the only one that wouldn't mind a Sting v Billy Gunn singles match?  I genuinely got excited about that after the Darby match.  Two guys in their 60s who can still wrestle, it'd be one for the books.

• Paid Members

Billy Gunn looks fucking incredible. Let's not allow that to be understated. For a man that age with the miles on the clock that he has, to look like that is nothing short of amazing. Fair fucks to the man. It's clear that Vince doesn't allow any of his minion's to watch AEW. Otherwise Billy Gunn would be on Raw next week beating Big E for the Belt. 

I didn't like that Billy kicked out at 1, but the problem was more that Darby shouldn't have went for the pin after 1 coffin drop. I'd have liked if he knew 1 wouldn't have been enough and got up right away to go for the second one. 

Delighted Jungle Boy won again. Absolutely thought that he was going to be on the losing end here. Hopefully Jungle Boy comes out of this feud on top, then sometime in the new year he either ends up with a tag or TNT title around his waist for six months. 

13 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Billy Gunn looks fucking incredible. Let's not allow that to be understated. For a man that age with the miles on the clock that he has, to look like that is nothing short of amazing. Fair fucks to the man. It's clear that Vince doesn't allow any of his minion's to watch AEW. Otherwise Billy Gunn would be on Raw next week beating Big E for the Belt.

Didn't WWE fire Billy Gunn because he was very, very obviously on steroids and, I think, tested postive for them?

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Didn't WWE fire Billy Gunn because he was very, very obviously on steroids and, I think, tested postive for them?

He had high levels of testosterone and was banned from a Powerlifting competition after failing their drug test. Cute that you think WWE would have sacked someone on the steroids with Cena, HHH and Jinder on the roster though :-) 

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He had high levels of testosterone and was banned from a Powerlifting competition after failing their drug test. Cute that you think WWE would have sacked someone on the steroids with Cena, HHH and Jinder on the roster though 🙂

Ah, yes. WWE released him giving the reason as he tested positive at the powerlifting competiton/he never told them he was going to do powerlifting competitions.