AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I think with Kingston it's a case of 'everyone knows of someone like him outside the wrestling world' which makes him believable and investable.

Go back to the days of made up 'superheroes' (Adam Bomb, Duke Droese, etc) and it wasn't believable to think your friendly dustman was also a part-time wrestler on the side. The bloke from your local who'll spend his last tenner getting a round in but then jump in and have a scrap with someone that looked at him funny or made a snide reference to the bar tart is much more believable and someone you can get behind. Yes he's a nutter and isn't in shape and the singlet isn't suited to his body shape, but that just adds to the 'trying hard to make it and be popular' image he's portraying.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

I have heard it directly from Colt on a pod that his backstage speeches get laughed at by the guys who have been there a long time, and he started them pretty much as soon as he showed up. Then seen some indirect references to it since 

Would rather listen to Eddie Kingston giving speeches than Colt Cabana attempting stand up comedy. 

I really liked that confrontation between Punk and Eddie. I actually liked that it started as a bit of a dud argument "you interrupted me." They then went on to show that there was much more than that which caused the argument. 

Eddie having spent years feeling like Punk etc judged him had just lost to Danielson, someone who Punk named during his list of people who judged Eddie. The first person Eddie saw when he came backstage was Punk and all those feelings of judgement and insecurity come flooding back and Eddie does what he does and lashes out. 

Punk as we found out held Eddie to a certain standard so seeing him kicking off over losing as opposed to self reflecting annoys Punk. If anyone else had done this Punk would likely have just shrugged it off but it was Eddie. 

I loved this entire segment. 

I just find Eddie Kingston so believable when he speaks. To the extent that I wasn't actually certain that, watching live, last week's encounter / interruption was supposed to happen. In the ring.... not so much. Give him a mic however and I'm glued

Edited by mrtrickio

• Paid Members

I’m convinced Eddie Kingston could make it in movies or TV and we’re lucky to have him in pro-wrestling. The way he feels completely authentic and you don’t sense a shred of performance in anything he does or says is wild.

His delivery is leagues ahead of anyone I’ve ever seen. You think guys like Punk and Moxley are top tier promos with believable delivery and then they get paired with Kingston and look like amateurs.

I suspect a lot of it is to do with Kingston just playing an exaggerated version of himself, but even then I think that sells him short. We’ve seen countless examples of people struggling  with authenticity even when their real life situations are written into the storylines. Look at Becky and Seth. Actually shagging in real life yet somehow awkwardly end up feeling like brother and sister on TV.

I feel like I say this every time he has a big match because he’s just so fucking good and I always want to root for him, but seriously. I’d consider having him beat Punk at the PPV.

Depending on what the plans are now with Mox being out and Kenny seemingly being banged up they could possibly turn Eddie full heel. 

The trouble with Punk going over is that the premise is Punk etc thought Eddie was a disappointment so if Eddie loses it backs up that narrative. 

You either turn Eddie who cheats and takes a DQ, turn Punk which I don't think the time is quite right for, unless they go a slow burn heel turn or you do another Eddie passes out in a submission. 

We're just about to round out the biggest "face finding their confidence and winning the big one" in Hangman Adam Page. Surely the next people's-champ-getting-their-shit-together is the Mad King?

He fought for his place on the roster, made some mistakes, then made his first good decision in yonks by helping old pal Mox. Had the summer of their lives battering scrubs, getting lost in the crowds, and throwing horns with the Stinger. Now, right at the time his friend goes off the rails and has to step away, he has not one but two old "heroes", who left the indies and the grind Eddie was on, in his mind probably selling out for fame and fortune, come into his company above his head and tell him he's not as good as he should be. Which, in his mind, he hears not as them saying he could be better, but he is shit.

Eddie's not a tough guy. He acts tough, sure, and eats punishment for days, but he's a chubby puro nerd. He's terrified and scared, and lashing out, coz that's what he does. Eddie tried to put it all on Punk because he's in his sights right now, and Punk, whilst still being a bit of a smug dick like we know he is, rightly pointed out that it's not just Punk. It's face vs face, they just know how to push each other's buttons, and it's brilliant. Not just for Eddie but Punk too.

For all his talk about wanting to work with young talent and reeling off "dream matches", he said in his first promo, he had some scores to settle and hear it is. A blast from the past, and something he can't move forward from until it's settled. And to have gone from 7 years off to getting battering-rammed by Darby, blown up by Sydal, stretched by García, and then the shit kicked out of him by Fish, NOW having to deal with a bitter, violent brawler like Kingston? Fucking hell, he's for it.

Speaking of Punk, I know we can get excited for someone like Okada coming in, but someone I've suddenly got excited for the prospect of? Punk vs KENTA.

Edited by CavemanLynn

Proving Eddie is a failure just adds to his story imo.

Talks a big game but can't get the job done when it matters and blames everyone else instead of accepting that he is the problem. 

Saying that though I felt both Eddie and Punk came across as dick heads in their segment. Enjoyed the pull apart though. 

Loving all the takes on the segment in this thread. Isn't it just awesome that we can all have these differing thoughts on a fairly straightforward segment that we knew was coming? And when was the last time something on WWE TV was so intriguing (that didn't involve Charlotte ignoring the script)?

I can totally see where the "I hated it" opinion above came from, it was a little shooty at first, the back-and-forth was not as 'smooth' as seen elsewhere, and I feel sometimes like Kingston is trying too hard. But that's where the layers are for me - is Kingston the real person trying too hard with the act, or is the character trying too hard because of the insecurities? I'm not sure. I was behind Punk at first, letting Kingston just go on with his "woe is me" stuff, but then Punk said a couple of things I thought were harsh and I flipped right back behind Eddie. Then the pull-apart was the same old but the last few seconds reeled me back in.

Add in Kingston's struggles with the top, top stars, and Punk coming through a run of tough bouts, I'm super excited for this one. I want Eddie to win, I think, but I also don't think Punk should be losing to him. What a pickle!!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

The trouble with Punk going over is that the premise is Punk etc thought Eddie was a disappointment so if Eddie loses it backs up that narrative. 

Not if Eddie pushes him to his limit and shows true fighting spirit or whatever and finally gains Punk's respect. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Not if Eddie pushes him to his limit and shows true fighting spirit or whatever and finally gains Punk's respect. 

Same story with Danielson. And, crucially, while he earns their respect, he doesn't believe it.

11 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Same story with Danielson. And, crucially, while he earns their respect, he doesn't believe it.

That is the crux of it. They could do the 'earned his respect' finish but we all know Eddie wouldn't be any less upset by the loss even if Punk does shake his hand.

For me this needs to be Eddie turning heel or Punk taking a short cut to begin a subtle heel turn. Punk all but saying everyone judged Eddie has made him the second most sympathetic character in wrestling. Eddie needs this win to prove to everyone that he is as good as good as all of them and deserves his spot. Bloody love tortured soul Eddie. 

A good heel is someone who is talented, but has to cheat to win as he’s not as good as the good guys. Eddie cheating would make perfect sense. Given Punks Bret Hart tribute, the mania 8 finish with Eddie wielding the weapon then tossing it away and losing would work