AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic stuff from Bryan and Eddie. Absolutely loved it. Matches for the sake of matches aren't my bag but these two selling what progressing in this tournament means to them shone through here. I could have watched them go another 5 or 10 minutes, easily. The finish actually came out of the blue. Enjoyed the tease for Eddie and Punk too.

Wasn't in to the next match but nice to see Martin get a good solid win that was highlighted as a big deal.

Main event was fine. Agree that Abadon isn't very good but this was a showcase for Britt being tough as nails and worked completely. She's the best.

Was driving with my daughter the other day and we were discussing who Tyson Fury is. Out if nowhere she said "I know who the women's wrestling champion is. It's Britt Baker." We then had a nice chat about how great Britt is. So unexpected, I've never noticed her watching AEW when it's on but she's been taking in Britt's stuff. She doesn't want to be a dentist though.

• Paid Members

Bryan Danielson is the best wrestler in the world.

You spend the first third of the year wrestling Jey Uso exclusively. You take the Summer off to plant some trees. And then you still win wrestler of the year. Amazing.

Bryan Danielson vs. Mox Lesnar is going to be fucking amazing.

• Paid Members

One thing AEW does brilliantly is to give you programmes you didn't even know you wanted. I had not thought about Punk vs Kingston, but that's going to be superb. The promos write themselves and it gives Punk something meatier to get into, while Kingston will only be elevated by it. I wonder if Kingston mentioning his meds could even play into Punk laying the first seeds for the inevitable heel turn with the straight edge stuff. It's an option  but not a necessity as there are so many directions they could go in.

This even opens up the possibility of Kingston/Mox vs Punk/Danielson, which sounds amazing.

I also like that it's not a massively contrived way to start a feud, quick confrontation by chance and we are essentially off to the races.

46 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

As much as I enjoyed the opener, something felt a bit off with Kingston. His selling just seemed more stunted and awkward than I've seen from him, like he was either carrying a new injury or just had the arse on. 

That’s how he Always looks to be, has no fluidity at all, tries a bit too hard to look realistic

Abadon is ropey as. But as the Boogeyman of the women's division, she has her place. She's only had 60 matches and I like her as this Orange Cassidy type wrestling, where the opponent works in the logic of the character (hands in pockets and not just punching him/spooky fucked up zombie lass). 

What a great week for AEW wrestling. Rampage didn't have the highs of the Stay Page Marshmallow Man (what would?), but not the lows of Bobby Fish boring the crowd to near silence during a CM Punk match. Three really good matches that whizzed by.

It might be me having a cob on because he's beaten two of my boys (Dustin, Eddie) but I'm not on board with Danielson. The matches themselves are great spectacles, but his promos on Eddie were full of whataboutery and Cody-esque "shouting because I CARE". I'm getting definite shades of Bryan's woke heel champion run, no bad thing, but it's all a bit too shades-of-grey for me, having that sitting alongside his face connection in the arena. Still strikes me as a guy taking advantage in someone else's playground, gunning for a top flight run because he was bored elsewhere, unlike Punk who in as many matches seems to have integrated really well and genuinely seems to want to work with up and comers. 

It also means the final will be one of the combinations I was least interested in.

The post match with Eddie and Punk was stonking. AEW's thing about making wins and losses matter isn't just about rankings, but also how they affect guys match to match. It makes perfect sense that MJF, after eating his first high profile loss in yonks, would go on a bitchy bullying spree to reassert himself. And here, of course Eddie reacts to a loss by lashing out at everyone immediately. It doesn't even need to be him and Mox going heel together - Mox's behaviour could easily be a reason for Eddie's edginess, not being able to stop his buddy going off the rails. Eddie vs Punk should have the lot - solid promos, real life history, and two old indy guys beating each other up. Nice.

Martin and Sydal had one of the best teacher-student matches I've seen. Just great interplay with all three. Dante nailing the Golden Triangle moonsault on Sydal going straight Rush getting in his face to big him up was so smooth. The height and delay on Dante's springboard dropkick was INSANE. A better, less choreographed finisher, and Martin could be the fifth pillar.

Main event was perfect Halloween gimmick fodder. Like a weird version of Jade Cargill, if someone looks like Abadon, you find a way to put them on TV. This was ideal, a 10 minute holiday Hardcore match with three stunt spots and the champ going over strong. Stellar work from the table too, for ramping up the tension and waking up the crowd. As soon as that happened, you could feel the crowd remember that this shit hurts. Abadon's no-selling was nicely creepy, Britt sold everything like an absolute trooper, and the Lockjaw spot was a great twist for the finish.

• Paid Members

Danielson is absolutely sick. That's three weeks in a row his chest has been lit up like a Christmas tree. Absolutely loved the match with Kingston, great story telling and they still managed the unpredictable- anything could happen feel. Finish was so good. 

Didn't bother with the rest though will watch that later. Abadon is just odd. 

5 hours ago, mim731 said:

This even opens up the possibility of Kingston/Mox vs Punk/Danielson, which sounds amazing.

Was my first thought too, will be a barnburner.

The opening two thirds of this show were about as perfect a one hour wrestling show as I've ever seen. Kingston walks on water. Wasn't into Abadon in the main mind.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

The post match with Eddie and Punk was stonking. AEW's thing about making wins and losses matter isn't just about rankings, but also how they affect guys match to match. It makes perfect sense that MJF, after eating his first high profile loss in yonks, would go on a bitchy bullying spree to reassert himself. And here, of course Eddie reacts to a loss by lashing out at everyone immediately.

Was coming in to make this point. So much great story-telling. Danielson riles up Eddie because he wants his best, but Eddie can't help but take it personally. And nobody reacts to major losses like Kingston - he's devastated, as he's lost to the guy that mocked him. So he flips the bird, walks out on the handshake (because Bryan didn't think it was personal) and starts a fight with the first person he imagines a slight from.

Just beautiful. The suffering is the point with Kingston, because he makes things difficult for himself - with occasional moments of redemption. For a guy I didn't get when I saw him before AEW, I'm so on board.