AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Eddie is one of those guys that I find hard to believe people wouldn't be invested in. I get we all have different tastes but he's so authentic and genuine

Yes. He sounds exactly like so many pissed up idiots in the pub who give it the big I am that I just can't take his rambling seriously as any kind of actually hard man stuff, and it just doesn't work for me as a build. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me.

Bell to bell though, I find him quite fun, from what I have seen anyway. 

• Paid Members

I don’t think you’re supposed to think Eddie Kingston is a hard man. At least that’s never how I’ve read it. Personally, everything he does and says suggests a flawed, unstable, troubled, yet ridiculously passionate, determined and emotional character.

The last thing I’d ever think he was going for with his style of promo is something as basic as, “hard man, or, “tough guy.” If that was his intention he wouldn’t feel anywhere near as real or endearing. The very reason his character resonates and I’m so invested in everything he does is because he’s a bit of a fuck up, with a chip on his shoulder, who’ll fly off the handle if someone smirks at him after another loss.

Edited by Supremo

Eddie has been all over the place at times in aew. His first promo stood out as was different, the match wasn’t that much to talk about. He gets the Mox feud, then comes out as A cheap looking green Ranger than the Kawada he was aiming for . His style doesn’t suit his look at all, he’s still rocking a big belly after 18 months of being paid enough to get himself in shape. He doesn’t need to be ripped, but could trim up and still keep that weekend hardman look. He to me is a mid card talent, but seems to get into bigger matches with top names more than I see he’s worth. I loved the promo and pull apart last night, proper big smile on my face as I watched. I just don’t see that as his level all the time. He’s a good second to someone, not the leader he thinks he is and has embarrassed himself backstage trying to be at the expense of those who have led. 

18 minutes ago, Louch said:

His style doesn’t suit his look at all, he’s still rocking a big belly after 18 months of being paid enough to get himself in shape. He doesn’t need to be ripped, but could trim up and still keep that weekend hardman look.

If you're watching him and thinking about his shape then yeah you're probably never going to enjoy him. I find it hard to believe that someone could watch Eddie and everything that he offers and come away thinking about his weight. Him losing a few pounds isn't going to win you over.

34 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I don’t think you’re supposed to think Eddie Kingston is a hard man. At least that’s never how I’ve read it. Personally, everything he does and says suggests a flawed, unstable, troubled, yet ridiculously passionate, determined and emotional character.

The last thing I’d ever think he was going for with his style of promo is something as basic as, “hard man, or, “tough guy.” If that was his intention he wouldn’t feel anywhere near as real or endearing. The very reason his character resonates and I’m so invested in everything he does is because he’s a bit of a fuck up, with a chip on his shoulder, who’ll fly off the handle if someone smirks at him after another loss.

That's exactly it. He's the guy you pull away from a bar fight but can't stay mad at because he has a heart of gold. That and it's just fucking infectious watching someone having the time of their life on TV every week. I find it mad someone could come from his segments with more analysis than enjoyment but fair enough. He's made a zealot of me and he wasn't even on my radar before this year. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

The last thing I’d ever think he was going for with his style of promo is something as basic as, “hard man, or, “tough guy.” If that was his intention he wouldn’t feel anywhere near as real or endearing. 

Really? He seems to me to be trying like crazy. He's hitting all the notes for that kind of desperate to appear hard that you can see in any town centre Spoons on Curry Night special. 

Don't get me wrong, as I say, I quite enjoy his wrestling. But the promos always just leave me cold. Guess it's horses for courses. 

Eddie Kingston is the most likeable, believable character in wrestling. An absolute hero. His Danielson match from last week's Rampage might honestly be my favourite wrestling match ever.

An insecure beer bellied hardnut who can talk for days and throws Kawada suplexes in the ring. He's perfect.

10 hours ago, 69MeDon said:

What's this a reference to?

I have heard it directly from Colt on a pod that his backstage speeches get laughed at by the guys who have been there a long time, and he started them pretty much as soon as he showed up. Then seen some indirect references to it since 

Edited by Louch

10 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

If you're watching him and thinking about his shape then yeah you're probably never going to enjoy him. I find it hard to believe that someone could watch Eddie and everything that he offers and come away thinking about his weight. Him losing a few pounds isn't going to win you over.

I don’t dislike him. Just find much of him to be a bit try hard to cover his other shortcomings too much to really like him like others do.