AEW Double or Nothing 2021 - March 30th

Supremo

• Paid Members

I can’t help myself but go back and watch all the crowd pops and amazing moments from this show. I’ve been absolutely buzzing ever since.

Has there ever been a greater contrast of closing images than the ending of the last PPV, with Moxley and Kingston looking like a pair of dickheads, and then this one, where they cut the music and closed with that slow-mo shot of everyone looking delighted as the crowd sang us out. Amazing.

I can’t fathom a single person watching this show and not wanting to go and see an AEW show live. Equally, I can’t imagine a WWE wrestler watching this show and not checking how long they’ve got left on their contract. Except maybe Seth and Miz.

Omega and Hangman at All Out? It felt like time coming out of this show. We need a handsome cowboy hero to sort this prick out. Maybe they put all the belts on the line and Hangman ends up needing his horse to carry them off into the sunset.

Edited by Supremo

I've had 'Tarzan Boy' stuck in my head all day. What an inspired pick up that's turned out to be. The closing moments of the Battle royal and the post-match celebration was easily my highlight of the night. Must have watched it ten times already. What a fucking moment for Jungle Boy, and the noise and jubilation of the crowd brought tears out my fucking eyes. Everything I love about wrestling right there.

Cody . . . Well at least he's using the less shitty version of his theme. I did find it funny that the only time the crowd really turned on him is when he was trading fists with Ogogo. Even they saw through that shit.

Too long as usual but otherwise great PPV. Wrestling is back!

• Paid Members

I really hope they can look after Allen and Jungle Boy(who I'd still be insisting used the Jack Perry name), as you have two guys there who could become AEW's franchise players for years to come. Then when you look at the rest of the talent they can develop, people such as Max Caster, Agogo, Nick Comoratto, Powerhouse Hobbs, Ricky Starks, Sammy Guvara, Wardlow and many others I have probably forgot about, you have the nucleus of a mens division to keep them going for years. The woman's side of things needs work still, but it looks like they are going i the right direction.

One thing I would like them to do is promote the World, Woman's and Tag titles equally. It would take some hard work, but allow them to constantly mix up the cards so the main event/top program is not always the men's title match(I know last night is was the Stadium job, but I'm thinking going forward) which means they would not burn though main event match-ups as quickly and make every event feel different.

• Awards Moderator

Brilliant show from start to finish. Every match felt like a big deal and I thought was good or better (I even sort of enjoyed the Cody one). So many moments I loved - Jungle Boy being an absolute fucking star (I also punched the air when he won), Britt Baker winning the title, Sting, the near falls in the triple threat, the madness of Stadium Stampede. What a show. Well done AEW - they put a proper smile on my face today.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I had an absolute blast watching that. The opener was great and Page had me living and dying with him in the near falls. I was singing Wild Thing and hopping about on Mox and Kingston's entrance, losing my mind each time it looked like they were going to get the W, and then cursing the Bucks up and down when they got the pin. What a bloody start to the show. 

The Darby Allin/Sting match was fantastic fun, Darby being an absolute mad man as usual on that press slam spot. He's a superstar is young Darby. 

The battle royale wasn't great but had the absolute perfect ending, which makes up for all the rest of it. 

The men's world title match was excellent as you would expect. 

Tony Schivone about Nick Jackson "He's going to beat the hair colour right out of him". 

The show ending with a face win and the crowd singing along was a good choice, they needed a feel good ending at the end of the show on the first night with a proper crowd back. Speaking of which, as soon as the show started I wanted to book a trip to an AEW PPV and be part of something like that. 

The Cody match was just all wrong from start to finish. Cody can do so much well, but I don't think he has hit the right note at all since the Brodie Lee feud. 

Britt Baker winning was also a high point, but I don't think the match was particularly good. Fine, I'd say, with a hot finish. 

Miro and Archer didn't gel that well but it was ok. Maybe could have done with being a bit shorter and going down the five minute bomb fest route.

Can't add too much more to what anyone else said other than it was just pure joy from start to finish (if you pretend Cody doesn't exist).

That Joker spot is cursed isn't it? Always overhyped by us and then whoever it is cocks up their move. Great.

Seriously though, a great effort all round and such an enjoyable show to watch. Even the worst match on the show wasn't horrendous despite Cody and his victory.

I wasn't too fussed about the Stadium Stampede - not sure if it's that I preferred the first one, or that I was more hyped for other matches on the card, but yeah I would've given the main event spot to a different match I think. I can see why it wouldn't make much sense in the middle of the card though. Tough one to place.

Hangman. Moxley. Kingston. Jungle Boy. DMD. I love crowds. Even my hate of Lesnar Guy couldn't ruin the show. 

10 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

One thing I would like them to do is promote the World, Woman's and Tag titles equally. It would take some hard work, but allow them to constantly mix up the cards so the main event/top program is not always the men's title match.

I agree that the women's division requires elevation up the card, but the same can't be said about the tag team division. It has been at the same level, if not higher on occasions than the World Heavyweight title ever since SCU have dropped the tag belts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the PPV, I can't remember popping for so many spots for a long time. The highlight was when Kenny Omega kicked PAC in the stomach and went flying into the turnbuckle like he got shot out of a cannon. Sting Allin/Page Sky was way better than it should have been. Cody can fuck right off though.

Actually said "holy shit" out loud in response to the roar from the crowd when the show started. The arena looked and sounded incredible, got real Wrestlemania 9 vibes. Then I got the world's longest case of goosebumps with the crowd singing to Jericho's music at the end. Everything in between could have been dogshit to average and any new fans watching would have seen those two moments and probably thought "fucking hell, AEW is a big deal isn't it?". 

Opener and tag match were both great and absolutely deserved the red hot reactions they got. Lio Rush, meh, but genuinely excited about the Jungle Boy win, he's going to be a megastar. Same with Britt, it's ace to finally see her with the belt. Loved the hug with Tony. Triple threat genuinely had me convinced Orange Cassidy was winning. Stadium stampede was never going to be as good as the first but was enjoyable and worth it for Sammy getting the limelight and the reaction after the finish.

I doubt that they’re turning on him completely, but I would hope that they’ve seen through this bullshit America Fuck Yeah! angle. They’ll be right back with him if he does some lite WWE bashing.

I think he’s an insufferable cunt and would be fine if he disappeared completely though

38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

is the general negativity towards Cody exclusive to this board or are the AEW fanbase turning on him?

Not sure if they're 'turning on him' as such but look at the reactions Hangman and Jungle Boy etc got compared to what Cody did. He was more excited about himself than the crowd were.

• Paid Members

That Orange Cassidy / Pac / Omega match was superb. They did exactly what I wanted , which was let me believe for a moment that Cassidy could do it. And I've been saying for a while how much I want a Jungle Boy / Omega match while Kenny is champion - the end of the Battle Royal was great. Cannot wait for that match.

The show was really fun. It makes me think how many years I spent watching PPVs where it'd end up feeling like 'is it still going?' - and everything here kept my attention, and I was generally looking forward to whatever was next. The Cody stuff was eh, and Baker/Shida was a step off, but otherwise, everything delivered or over-delivered. 

Oh, and Nick Jackson's new look is hilarious. I'm loving Heel Young Bucks.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

is the general negativity towards Cody exclusive to this board or are the AEW fanbase turning on him?

Other boards all seem sick of him and he gets more criticism than praise on social media for sure. His weak reaction compared to the rest of the roster on Sunday shows the tide is turning for sure.