AEW Double or Nothing 2021 - March 30th

Supremo

Ill write more when I've rewatched the show, but I had to laugh at Mox getting so amped by the crowd, he clearly missed his marker for the camera. Ended up storming almost across the arena with Kingston pissing himself and Mox clearly asking where to go as he'd got lost. That entrance was incredible, Eddie Kingston has worked his arse off in AEW after he stormed in on his tryout threatening to rip out Arn Anderson's eye for looking at him too long for that reception. Losing was the right decision too if Mox is off for mat leave, Eddie falling short of gold is his white whale. Good times. 

Edited by Chili

Boss show - with one obvious glaring error on their part. And it's a shame that their errors always seem to overshadow the good. If it's not an exploding ring failing to explode it's Jericho falling onto concrete that became a painted bouncy castle and now it's Cody being Cody. Other than that though it really was a boss show.

Deeb and Rhio was a belter. And Deeb turning the cheers she was receiving into boos by just lamping Rhio across the face was great. She's as good a heel as she is face. If they could sign her to a full time contract it'd be such a good signing for them. Rhio moving to the States hopefully means she's back full time as well.

Hangman and Cage was a good opener for the main show. Taz on commentary is always enjoyable, he just adds that bit more to the match. The inevitable split of Team Taz is going to be hugely beneficial for Cage who looks like he should be a big bastard babyface. I don't know if they can get a match out of Taz but if not it's gonna have to be Hobbs because otherwise it could be a real drag until Starks is fit and ready for a match. Page will continue to rebuild towards his eventual World Title victory and the live crowds are only going to help him. 

Bucks against Kingston & Mox was every bit as good as it deserved to be. The Bucks have always looked and acted as heels, now that they are actually treated as heels they're shining. Mox & Kingston are so good together. And while I hope they continue to team together, I would like AEW to start focusing on tag teams rather than just throwing two people together and having them as a team. The Mox and Kingston partnership does have some logic though. Callis is always good on commentary as well.

Third match and third extra announcer with Paul Wight coming out to do the Battle Royal. It didn't have the memorable moments that some of their battle royals have had previously and the "joker" slot was some lad I've never heard of. It also didn't get much reaction from the crowd or the commentary team. But the winner being Jungle Boy was fantastic and his post-match celebrations with the rest of Jurassic Express were enjoyable. He's not going to beat Omega anytime soon but the fact he's being given the opportunity to face him shows the faith they have in him. 

Then the error. Cody! Given the patriotism of America in general, the hype video beforehand, the American Dream nickname, the stars and stripes clobber, the day before Memorial Day, it all added up to an Ogogo victory that he could get genuine heel heat off for months. But instead he gets beat. And while AEW has a great track record of recovering from their major errors, this is one that should have been avoided at all costs.

Miro and Archer never really clicked the way I was hoping it would but their feud in general hasn't. And that's largely down to Jake Roberts, who is now hindering Archer more than anything. Miro still looks and acts like a fucking monster though and should have a good run as TNT champion. But I don't want him doing the title defence every week thing that Cody and Darby were doing. Make his matches feel more special by being a rarity. Archer just feels like he has no place in the company at the minute. He's just a body they trot out but don't have any real plans for. 

Britt winning the Women's Title was always going to be the road they took and sometimes doing what we all expect is the best outcome. Shida has been a great champion and deserves her recognition (not sure the new title was needed if she was losing it the following night though). She also had another great match last night against Baker, who should be a great champion in her own right. They'll have to build up a really good babyface to take the championship off her.

Sting - wow. I wasn't expecting that level of match out of him or Sky & Page to be fair. It wasn't match of the year but it delivered much more than I was expecting.

World Title match was the outcome we were all expecting but it did genuinely look in doubt at more than one point. PAC and Cassidy can be more than proud of their showings. And Omega was as good as ever. An enjoyable match with Jungle Boy to look forward to, and no doubt a Good Brothers or Bucks six man against Jurassic Express will be on the cards somewhere down the line. I don't know if they could get a Four Team Trios match between Elite v Jurassic Express v Death Triangle v Best Friends. 

And Stadium Stampede wasn't as good as last year's but if you hadn't seen last year's then it stacks up as a really good match in it's own right. I guess we're now going to get the third and final match between the two factions. Maybe a Survivor Series type match with whoever loses having to disband and I don't think I'd be sorry to see either disband. Both are full of people who would be better off on their own, rather than being tied up in this whole affair.

• Paid Members

One moment I absolutely loved because it felt so real and genuine was Don Callis on commentary during the title match. He was arrogant and cocky throughout that Kenny was going to win but when it looked like momentum had clearly shifted to Orange Cassidy he started swearing and panicking, deciding only then to interfere. It was so realistic and was real characters acting like real people. AEW has brought that realism and believability back to wrestling after years of WWE bizarro world where no one acts like an actual human being. 

Worth noting as well that most of the biggest pops all went to the homegrown stars: Hangman, Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin etc. Shows that the work put in to getting these great acts over has really been worth it. 

• Paid Members

For two decades, I’ve always thought the absolute peak of my pro-wrestling fandom was the finish to the Backlash 2000 main event. Stone Cold returning, cleaning house, Rock wins the title to one of the loudest crowd reactions of all time. I’ve probably watched it at least a thousand times.

It’s now been replaced by Jon Moxley losing his mind during his entrance on this show, chucking chairs and getting completely lost, all whilst Eddie Kingston laughed his arse off, the crowd singing Wild Thing at the top of their lungs. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy watching pro-wrestling. Incredible.

On a show filled to the brim with brilliance that left me smiling from ear to ear, my two favourite moments were when I completely lost myself in it and just wanted my favourites to win. I genuinely found myself muttering, “bastards!” and throwing my arms up when the Bucks beat Moxley and Kingston, then shouted, “get in!” and punched the air when Jungle Boy won the Battle Royale. Fantastic.

But yeah. Cody. I think I must have been the last person on the planet still giving him the benefit of the doubt. Well, fuck that. The absolute worst match and result he could’ve gone for. For months now I’ve thought the comparisons between him and Triple H in 2003 were completely overblown, but not now. That’s exactly what this was. Forcing someone who has no business wrestling your style of match to do it anyway, then beating them clean. Fuck off. This should’ve been a squash where Ogogo knocks him out in seconds. Watching him trying to do a normal match completely exposed how green he was, with the result just being the icing on the cake. Fuck off and have your kid, Cody. You won’t be missed. This show would’ve been nigh-on perfect if Cody didn’t exist. Honestly, Canadian Stampede levels.

Britt hugging Big Tone though! Most heartwarming moment in the history of this great sport. I fucking love this company.

Edited by Supremo

Really enjoyed this show. Some nice moments like Mox/Kingston entrance, Britt winning, Sting looking great, full fans singing Judas at the end and ofcourse Jungle Boy winning the battle royal.

I'd be looking to do the HHH/Jericho title switch from 2000 with Omega/Jungle Boy.

• Paid Members

Menry coming in is rather weird and seems more 'jobs for the boys' for Paul Wight. Interestingly though, someone on twitter mentioned than the trifecta is complete from the Randy Orton segment earlier in the year when he degraded Big Show, Christian and Menry. Although, Menry should have been ripped for that scooter alone, salmon jacket, it was not.

38 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Menry coming in is rather weird and seems more 'jobs for the boys'

I see it as even more valuable experience in the locker room. 

Menry giving the big lads pointers? Yes fucking please and Christian Cage giving Jungle Boy some shine was a great showing of restraint on AEW's part imo.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Menry coming in is rather weird and seems more 'jobs for the boys'

Mark Henry is genuinely one of Tony Khan's favourite wrestlers so I'm not surprised he's hired him. I'm a fan of the hire. Henry is great, has loads to offer backstage and in front of the camera. 

Not against the Henry hiring, but the idea of him having much knowledge to pass on to their big guys kinda reminds me of that forced respect to the past you see with the WWE women whenever Beth Phoenix or Alundra Blaze show up. They briefly shone as the best of a bad bunch in shit eras. He's a lovely guy but I don't think there's much of a learning tree there for AEW's excellent in ring cast. He got hot with an admittedly brilliant run saying hall of pain loads and wearing a cool suit but he was pretty dull for fifteen years before that and for about ten since. Fine in a background role, but hopefully there's not another Taz stable in it. AEW's homegrown talent stand out far too brilliant themselves to be under the kayfabe guidance of WWE relics. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Mark Henry was a talent scout for WWE too - pretty sure he discovered Bianca Belair. He'll have a ton of contacts too, so he's definitely a major signing for them.

If that's the case, then I stand corrected. I know he is highly respected in the locker room, but didn't realise he was a scout etc. I just presumed that with him and Show being good mates, it seemed that he had gotten him pal through the door. Still could be the case, but for the right reasons.