AEW Double or Nothing 2021 - March 30th

Supremo

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

is the general negativity towards Cody exclusive to this board or are the AEW fanbase turning on him?

It definitely seems to be more of an Internet thing atm. There's also a ton of negatively on reddit. 

Be interesting to see how he's received by the wider fanbase when AEW is back on the road. 

I'm 38 years old and smiled like an idiot at several moments during this event. Jungle Boy winning the battle Royal, the crowds reaction to both Hangman and Kingston, and the fans singing Jerichos theme to close the show out.

The first two matches were belting and as good as I have seen on PPV for years. The battle royal was a bit of a mess I think with 5 entrance themes playing one after another while things were still going on in the ring. Camera missed quite a bit too. The ending was great though and I'll never get bored of the fans singing Jungle Boys theme. I hope Christian turns heel soon and those pair have a fued for a month or two, I'd have a jealous Christian cost him the title in two weeks.

Cody match wasn't good, I can't imagine anyone other than him thinking this kind of match was a good idea, it needed to be short, similar to his match with Brody Lee, wouldn't have even minded if he had took a huge beating but managed to sneak the win out of nowhere playing on Ogogo's inexperience or something.

TNT match was a decent enough slog, Miro launching the snake had me howling. Brilliant. I'd be keeping that belt on him for a while yet. Page's first fued when he wins the AEW belt maybe? 

Sting was incredible, looked the part too. Great to see him not wrestling in a t shirt. Would love to see him and Darby go after the tag belts at some point.

Womens match was good, not as invested in them as a lot seem to be but Britt is certainly over and was the right result. Triple threat was superb  and OC is a star in the making. 

Stadium stampede was a bit awkward at times not being in front of the crowd I thought. Some decent action/segments involved though. FTR, Santana & Ortiz stopping to have a drink before scrapping was decent, not a fan of Konnan but his cameo was fun. The ending was good though and really elevated Sammy in my opinion, then the crowd singing along to end the show. Think a survivors match at All Out is the perfect fued ender for this, but I'd love the inner circle to stay together.

9/10 for me and echo what others have said, would attend a AEW show when they come over to the UK no bother.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members

One of my biggest takeaways from this show is how you absolutely cannot put a price on buying some licensed music for entrances. Especially right now, when people want to go out and enjoy themselves. Mox and Kingston, Jungle Boy and Orange Cassidy all benefited massively. Tony Khan should be spending all day every day sitting down with talent and going through their Spotify playlists to find the catchiest songs for them to come out to. No matter what it costs him, it's worth it for how hot and exciting it feels when the crowd are dancing and singing all show long. If John Silver isn't coming out to Scatman John by this coming Friday then they've lost their minds.

Also - big shout out to everyone coaching in the WWE Performance Center. For years they’ve been teaching guys that the key to a successful entrance is to hit your marks exactly. Every mannerism or glance to the camera has to be specifically rehearsed and performed precisely. And then the best entrance of the last few decades is Jon Moxley completely losing it in the moment, nearly running a kid over, throwing chairs, losing the shoes he was carrying and then needing guidance on how the fuck to even get to the ring.

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Also - big shout out to everyone coaching in the WWE Performance Center. For years they’ve been teaching guys that the key to a successful entrance is to hit your marks exactly. Every mannerism or glance to the camera has to be specifically rehearsed and performed precisely. And then the best entrance of the last few decades is Jon Moxley completely losing it in the moment, nearly running a kid over, throwing chairs, losing the shoes he was carrying and then needing guidance on how the fuck to even get to the ring.

I loved Mox having no clue how to get to the ring and Kingston laughing in the background. 

Since we're still wanking over it, I can't believe how well timed them coming through the arena doors to the first scream of "WILD THING!" is. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Chili said:

Keep anything licensed music wise away from Hangman. AEW hit a rare home run with that one. It's so incredibly simple. 

While I agree, I would not object at all to them using Ennio Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold (which I'm guessing was a pretty huge inspiration for the tune anyway). Even as a one-off, that would just be an amazing entrance tune for him.

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While I agree, I would not object at all to them using Ennio Morricone's Ecstasy of Gold (which I'm guessing was a pretty huge inspiration for the tune anyway). Even as a one-off, that would just be an amazing entrance tune for him.

https://youtu.be/JZhjhSv3CnM turns out AEW have it already covered. This is a different version by themselves. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chris B said:

An incredible shout. That’d be perfect for the inevitable match with Omega.

I went back and watched the promo Moxley cut at the start of the pandemic just now. It’s always stuck with me.

“Tough times don’t last forever and I promise - one day we will all be back together and I will be bleeding and swearing in a sea of fans once again.”

The motherfucker wasted no time at all. He’s the best.

Also, back when the pandemic hit and everything was completely up in the air about what the future could bring? I don’t think there could’ve have been a crazier photograph of what’s to come than this one. I love it.

F1BFDAAA-DD1C-4653-8D2D-AA261631C5B9.thumb.jpeg.8871450b92ca0ec55cf9d04657626223.jpeg

• Paid Members

I've just watched it from start to finish again and it's so bloody satisfying. The look on Mox face after he kicks out of the super kick on one is absolutely glorious.

Jungle Boy winning was superb. One of my favourite moments in wrestling. The rest of the match was watchable enough but they REALLY nailed the finish.

Hangman was Hangman in a great opener.

Miro was Miro.

Darby and Sting was far far better than I expected. Sting looked great and really put a shift in. Scorpio and Page held their end up fine and I was even a little impressed by them.

Shida and Britt was a mixed bag in that there seemed to be a fair few bodges and misscommunications but it held together OK in spite of them. Britt was 100% the right choice. She's going to bring that Championship to the next level for sure. 

The three way was thrilling. Getting me to believe for even a split second Orange could win was tremendous. 

Of course Cody was the weak point but I even found that watchable to be honest. Ogogo clearly has a lot of potential. It was obvious he wasn't going over when they trotted out the military gimmick.

Obviously it was a waste of a finish. Cody really could have made Ogogo but I don't think it will ultimately do him any harm. Just a little pointless.

Stadium Stampede 2 didn't do it for me honestly. It's not even in the same ball park as the first one and only really gets good when they are back in front of the crowd which saves it. As much stick as JR gets (rightly so) he did his damnedest to get Sammy over.

Pinnacle don't really work for me for some reason. I just don't care about them as group.