AEW Double or Nothing 2021 - March 30th

Supremo

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DEF said:

Pinnacle don't really work for me for some reason. I just don't care about them as group.

This stuck out to me, and I’ve thought about it and I think I know why (or certainly why I agree with your statement). 

Jericho surrounded himself with 3 top talented and charismatic wrestlers. By proxy making Hager even interesting.

MJF, already with the charismatic Wardlow, aligned himself with 3 top ring performers who are dull as fuck. As good as FTR and Spears are in ring as workers, they’re a charisma vacuum. And whilst Tully has been fun to watch, what does he really add?

• Paid Members

I'm willing to give Pinnacle a chance right now because it's early days and if this company has shown us anything so far it's that even they can sometimes build something enough to care about it long after it's dead in the water. Look at Miro, Cody vs Spears, Panda Sammy Guevara, or Britt Baker. 
I know some people aren't good with the Chairman gimmick, but if it means every now and again we get a cracking (safe) shot like the one he did to Sammy during this, and that beat-em-up style boss moment where he was in a room full of chairs, I'm on board with it and I'd much rather see him be the unhinged violent chair guy in Pinnacle than doing shit all on his own.

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely hopeful they find their feet. It's early days and AEW have a proven track recording of hitting the right spot with time. I have a hard time believing in them as a tight knit unit right now though. They seem to exist out of necessity for the IC fued not so much a faction in their own right.

I genuinely thought I may be done with any new wrestling until I watched this show. Fuck me, that’s as good a show show I’ve seen in years! I’ve dipped in and out of AEW since it started, the odd Dynamite here or there but never carrying on any longer than a week. I’ll be a regular now I think.

Jon Moxley is just incredible. So so believable and an absolute joy to watch. Add me to the list of people who lost it at Jungle Boy winning too, I had a bit of a lump in my throat truth be told.

I totally skipped Cody(I DONT WANT TO USE THE NAME RHODES HONEST)‘s match. I’ve never been a big fan. I enjoyed some of his WWE work, mainly when he tagged with Dustin against the Shield, but I’ve no idea why people have given him the praise they have in recent years. He’s unbearable everytime I’ve seen him in AEW. Anyway, I don’t think I missed much.

I even enjoyed the crowd singing Jericho’s theme at the end, which I’ve always found quite cringeworthy. 

10/10. More please!

I rewatched Sting/Darby vs Ethan/Sky this morning, and I’m wondering if our next stop is Darby/Sting vs The Bucks? That could be an absolute blast for the next PPV.

AEW is in a great position for some star making title wins in the coming year. Page beating Omega will feel huge. You could have someone like Wardlow or Jungle Boy beat Miro and that would feel huge, Best Friends or The Acclaimed defeating The Bucks could take them to the next level. 

It’s hard not to feel optimistic about the future of this company - there are so many wrestlers with so much upside, and so many big moments to look forward to. 

• Paid Members

AEW really reminds me why I liked wrestling for so long. It had become a chore for a while there, but NJPW (until recently) and AEW have me enjoying it like I did in the late 90s.

Edited by Chris B

Add me to the list of people who got completely pulled in to the Jungle Boy win. It just felt when it came to the last 3 that Matt Hardy and Christian had more story's happening. Christian with his pursuit of the belt and being a new signing, and money Matt so I just felt deflated thinking he won't be winning this one. How wrong I was. Reminded me why I watch wrestling. sucked me in and made me genuinely care about a result. 

I thought the facial expressions on Mox face following the double superkick. The entrance was great and the Bucks are superb as heels.

Britt Baker - she'll take that division to the next level no doubt. Solid matches, great character.

Didn't buy that Omega would drop the match at any point, even so what a match. Everyone came out of it looking strong. Pac screams championship material to me at some point, just where does he even fit in that bracket?

Miro - Archer was a fun big man match. 

Sting/Darby vs Sky/Page was fun. Sting showed he can still go somewhat and Darby is a star in the making. Sky & Page don't do much for me.

Adam Page is the next star isn't he. The crowd makes you see it even more. Not sure what's happening with Cage's FTW belt though. 

Ogogo vs Cody was a disappointment. Given the build of Ogogo and the character work he's done on twitter, he should have won this easily. Writing was on the walls with the patriotic weekend and the american dream gig though. Ogogo seems out of place in the stable though, he'd be far better aligned with Pac and some other peeved off yank hating brits.

Stadium Stampede - fun match. Not as good as last years though last year was a result of circumstance where this years would have been appreciated if the whole thing took place in front of a live crowd. Even so, enjoyable. Some really cool moments such as Spears in the room full of chairs. Thought Sammy would turn on the inner circle so was surprised when he wasn't. 

• Paid Members

Presumably what happens is that Brian Cage turns babyface and leaves Team Taz, taking the FTW belt with him, and spends time wrestling his former team mates with the title on the line, or it eventually gets unified with the TNT or World title.

Maybe Adam Page ends up with it at some point and it feeds into the Elite taunting him for not having a real championship, leading to him taking the big belt from Kenny. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably what happens is that Brian Cage turns babyface and leaves Team Taz, taking the FTW belt with him, and spends time wrestling his former team mates with the title on the line, or it eventually gets unified with the TNT or World title.

I can't believe that hadn't occurred to me. I just broke into a grin reading that - Taz, the most permanently offended and pissed-off man in AEW, having his belt, his legacy, being held by a traitor who walked out on the group? The idea of him desperately sending Team Taz after him is just so much fun. Even be a reason to add a member to Team Taz, if they were bringing in any of the releases over the last few months