AEW Double or Nothing 2021 - March 30th

Supremo

I've uniformly enjoyed pretty much all of AEW's PPV's. I thought this year's Revolution was 90% excellent apart from the world's most boring multi-man ladder match and the final gimmick marring an otherwise excellent mainevent.

It is becoming a theme now though that Cody is a good bet to be on the worst match of the card. It feels like his entire repertoire has been over exposed now and he's burned through the residual goodwill he'd gained on that run between the Aldiss match to the MJF feud. He needs to fuck off for a while, and a good while at that.

What a show! I agree with the consensus that Ogogo / Cody was the only dud. The rest of the show was fantastic.  I know nothing about Lio Rush, so that was somewhat anticlimactic, but I was buzzing pretty much for the full PPV.

It sounds from reading this that I would want to check out the show. I've not really had the time to invest in the AEW product at all this year so I would not feel invested in the storylines. I hope that the action in the ring good and that's an irrelevant point.

• Paid Members

I was almost lost after the Cody/Ogogo mess but Miro throwing the snake back up the ramp and gurning for the camera afterwards brought me right back into it. Just looks like he's having the time of his life.

• Paid Members

A really top show. It was near perfect. If they'd had the tag titles change, and ran that as the main event, and had Ogogo win then it would have been impossible to top.

Match wise, I don't think anything could have been better. I include Cody and Ogogo in that because regardless of the outcome, you're not getting more out of a guy that green,and the opener, triple threat and Allin/Sting tag were far better than expected.

• Paid Members

That was as good as a wrestling show as I've seen in many a year. The Tag titles match was great, and I loved the Bucks taking the piss out the 80's Rock n Roll Express schtick. 

The Rhodes/Agogo mach has me scratching my head, though. the match itself was probably as good as it could have been with Agogo, but the booking was so off. Why would you feed someone with so much upside and potential to Rhodes so early in his career and kill off any heat he has been able to build up? Maybe he wasn't ready for a win that big, but in that case why book it in the first place? It wont be long until Rhodes is getting the infamous X-Pac heat...

• Paid Members

Cody will find some other way to manipulate the crowd into cheering for him again. As has been mentioned here earlier, some big stars and stripes entrance with a marching band version of his theme while he wears the red white and blue on memorial day weekend in the super "patriotic" state of Florida was always going to get a big pop. He'll disappear for some paternity leave and to promote his reality show for a while then come back for a big pop. His whole babyface routine seems based around either "my friend has turned on me and attacked me" or "Wasn't America brilliant." with a healthy dose of "my wife's pregnant" thrown in. He's coasting on goodwill right now. 

I thought Hangman may have cooled down since last year, especially since he and Matt Hardy had duelling chants with the smaller crowd at Revolution in March but I’m happy that I can put that idea to bed. He’s the man and has such a genuine connection to the crowd, it’s not based on flashy moves or cutting promos, he’s just likeable. I’m convinced again that he should be the one to beat Omega.

I felt a bit emotional seeing Eddie Kingston get that reaction. He must have felt like he has reached some real highs at points in AEW but a reaction like that just cements what he means to that promotion. 

Cody must be stopped. 

I echo pretty much everything else that everyone has said. 

Edited by Sexy Dad

Cody makes me think of his dad's "Keep it simple, brother!" advice to DDP that Foley mentioned in his first book when Page was wrapping himself in multiple gimmicks and shtick. 

I do think he looks like a proper star and should have good runs, but it's hilarious that his gimmick has literally become "Worst in show". 

Best in show? Mox. Always Mox. I'm such a hopeless fanboy for the guy. I want him to go a few years at AEW and have the multiple, well booked runs on top he deserves. He's the coolest wrestler in years and years and years. It's astronomical how WWE couldn't let him burn bright. Thank god they fucked it up. 

Hangman isn't too far behind, though. He's your Austin, Mox is your Foley. The characterised lunatic who can pop in and out of title pictures. 

Mox and Kingston coming through the crowd to Wild Thing might be my favourite entrance since Sandman at One Night Stand. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Have to echo the comments on here I loved that apart from a few niggles like the Cody match ( When Ogogo started bleeding above the eye I thought they were gonna do a doctors stoppage like in boxing etc ) also felt the main event fell a bit flat but the sing along at the end finished it on a happy note.

1 thing though apart from the main event every match had some sort of run in/interference/distraction which was beyond overkill 

Great show tho