2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

3 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

The BBC put a very lengthy article about his life up on its home page minutes after the news was announced and also many other outlets. 

So am suspecting the news outlets were aware before the news broke or knew this was coming this week.

I have no clue at journalism so maybe this is a standard thing where the press know a few hours ahead of press releases.

Its a slow day for me but has got me wondering now how it all works. 

I think it's a common thing in media to have obits pre-written so that they're ready when the inevitable happens. 

9 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

It was fucking Oswestry today! I'm absolutely fuming. 

That's not too bad then as it means I don't need to watch the episode to know how it pans out. They end up down a couple of hundred quid because they can barely put their shoes on, never mind buy antiques to sell at a profit.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Briefcase said:

The BBC put a very lengthy article about his life up on its home page minutes after the news was announced and also many other outlets. 

So am suspecting the news outlets were aware before the news broke or knew this was coming this week.

I have no clue at journalism so maybe this is a standard thing where the press know a few hours ahead of press releases.

Its a slow day for me but has got me wondering now how it all works. 

It's a little of both - they have obituaries prepped and ready to go for high profile enough figures, especially someone as old and as prominent as Prince Phillip, but likely were made aware ahead of time.

As I said earlier, the BBC have a ton of protocols in place for how to respond in the event of a royal death, which are categorised in terms of importance - suspension of programming, emergency broadcasting, and specific playlists to schedule. 

They've been a lot more on top of it since Diana - I believe either the BBC or the Royal Family didn't have a procedure in place specifically for Diana's death (in the way that Phillip's death is "Operation Forth Bridge", or the Queen's is "Operation London Bridge", they didn't have an equivalent lined up and ready to go, so had to use the protocols intended for the death of the Queen Mother. 

49 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The guardian had a picture of him on the front page, I've just refreshed and the picture has tripled in size. 

When I heard the news, something of mine tripled in size too. 

@deathreyThe best thing about Tipping Point is the anger in the hosts eyes when the girl he fancies goes out as he was well looking forward to invading her space with hugs in the final. Creepy bastard. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

That's not too bad then as it means I don't need to watch the episode to know how it pans out. They end up down a couple of hundred quid because they can barely put their shoes on, never mind buy antiques to sell at a profit.

Yeah but that means no Christina on the gavel! 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

If they play their cards right and put the funeral off until 12th April when the restrictions change, then they can have up to 30 people there!

Fuck off, that's my birthday! April 11th instead, a perfect day.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The best thing about Tipping Point is the anger in the hosts eyes when the girl he fancies goes out as he was well looking forward to invading her space with hugs in the final. Creepy bastard. 

Every episode when the bloke wins is like this.

Dy_F76.gif

Going to be interesting to see what the protocol is. Will they move well wishers/mourners on if they get too many/don't wear masks? Will there be a big state funeral? 

It's a bit of a heart thumper. My grandmother is 99 and the only time I've seen her for over a year was a 30 minute chat on Zoom. Just hoping I can see her in the summer.