2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

3 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Very sad news, we have lost a great man.

Anyway, do we get a day off for the funeral?

Doubt it. We didn’t for Smiley Culture so don’t think we will for an American. 

20 hours ago, PunkStep said:

They've stopped playing normal music on Absolute 90s and instead we've got Candle in the fucking Wind

Oh God, work experience flashback!

I was doing work experience at Woolworths about a week after Diana died.
I remember we had 'Candle in the Wind' playing on a loop, shelves full of cassettes and CD's of 'Candle in the Wind', big posters all through the store with Diana's face on and the words 'Buy 'Candle in the Wind' here'.... and yet we STILL had pricks coming in going 'Do y'sell 'Candle in the Wind'?'. 

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

My nan bought multiple copies of Candle in the Wind, I think we all knew that person. The only thing I remember about Diana's funeral oddly is seeing Brian May's hair and going 'Oh he's there', literally nothing else.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's a little of both - they have obituaries prepped and ready to go for high profile enough figures, especially someone as old and as prominent as Prince Phillip, but likely were made aware ahead of time.

As I said earlier, the BBC have a ton of protocols in place for how to respond in the event of a royal death, which are categorised in terms of importance - suspension of programming, emergency broadcasting, and specific playlists to schedule. 

They've been a lot more on top of it since Diana - I believe either the BBC or the Royal Family didn't have a procedure in place specifically for Diana's death (in the way that Phillip's death is "Operation Forth Bridge", or the Queen's is "Operation London Bridge", they didn't have an equivalent lined up and ready to go, so had to use the protocols intended for the death of the Queen Mother. 

I can possibly offer a little insight on this having worked for a good while, until fairly recently for BBC Radio in a role that would have been heavily affected by this today (I would have needed to do a fairly substantial schedule change around what is playing out on air vs what had been scheduled across multiple worldwide feeds.)

The obits are prepped in advance, and updated regularly. I have listened to Phillip's, as well as the Queen's last year (there was also an updated one put together for Boris Johnson when he was in hospital with Covid). They're about what you would expect and as mentioned previously they are updated with some news coverage when they are needed and can be turned around very quickly when the news breaks. Honestly, the system and the dedication of the people who work there is astonishing and the speed at which this can all be implemented and on-air is brilliant. 

As for the protocols, Pat is spot on, although largely this is unpracticed/unrehearsed in my experience and it is disseminated throughout the network as things happen (which is the case for a lot of the BBC protocols, they are largely very flexible to move with the fluidity of news stories). 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What did it say?

[s]Devoted[/s] Leader, Beloved Cunt?

if someone could tell me how to put strikethrough, that’d be great. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What did it say?

It was all pretty complimentary, certainly nothing unexpected from a BBC obit done in advance. From what I recall it was focused on his time as PM and Mayor of London with a big focus on the Olympics. Although it's probably had another update since then  

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, stumobir said:

[s]Devoted[/s] Leader, Beloved Cunt?

if someone could tell me how to put strikethrough, that’d be great. 

square bracket code doesn't work anymore on the board unfortunately. But there is a button for strikethrough on the reply box.

Devoted Leader, Beloved Cunt?

• Paid Members

Seems like it’s only bold or italics for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

B8586CDC-E5F5-40C2-A68F-4A3A87E5EA42.jpeg

eta: so as not to derail with me being a Luddite, my mate just said watching Harry at the funeral will be like when Hogan turned up at Bash at the Beach and I’m creased.

Edited by stumobir