2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

k6rFzJL.jpg
The line up for tomorrow’s funeral of Prince Phillip. Kate Middleton drops back into the role of Sweeper, while The Queen has favoured experience over youth in attack

Anne playing just off the big man up front with Andrew dropping into the hole as always. Harry to be given a free role down that side but undoubtedly will get a lot of criticism for not tracking back and working hard enough. 

• Paid Members

Gutted by that. I love Steinman's music. An underrated as hell one is Original Sin - Loaf covered it (awesomely) in Welcome To The Neighbourhood, but the version used in The Shadow is really fun too.

• Paid Members

I've been telling this joke for so long that I can never remember exactly where I first read it, maybe the American music mag Chunklet, maybe Private Eye, but it said:

"Sentences never spoken in musical history #47: 'I think the melody might be a bit too subtle, Mr Steinman'". 

Just absolute over-the-top nonsense every time. As a teenager and into my early 20s I hated most of it - though loved Sisters of Mercy and, deep-down, had a soft spot for Bat Out Of Hell - because I wanted my music to be punk and DIY and all that bullshit, but now I think Steinman's best stuff, particularly with Meatloaf, is just phenomenal. It's daft, but it knows it is, and there are few more perfect pairings in music than those two together. 

He also did Total Eclipse Of The Heart, of course.

• Paid Members

Unashamedly love Meatloaf's Jim Steinman written stuff. I went to see Bat Out of Hell a few years ago, which was complete bollocks obviously, but it was the only chance I'd get to see those songs sung well. And under those terms, it was very enjoyable. 

• Paid Members

No doubt an absolute headache to work with, but there's not enough musicians these days with his limitless imagination and ambition. My favourite story is still him wearing Todd Rundgren down over the insistence of having a motorbike in Bat Out Of Hell.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

No doubt an absolute headache to work with, but there's not enough musicians these days with his limitless imagination and ambition. My favourite story is still him wearing Todd Rundgren down over the insistence of having a motorbike in Bat Out Of Hell.

Meatloaf looks like he’s about to pop on a cowboy hat and batter some puppies in that video. 

8B4A2AF9-03A3-4213-AD8E-DB8022403D81.jpeg

• Paid Members

Both my stepdads liked a bit of Meatloaf, and that one song he did that Sealion Dion covered was a belter as well. He certainly knew how to write a big song. There won't be anyone like him again. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Both my stepdads liked a bit of Meatloaf, and that one song he did that Sealion Dion covered was a belter as well. He certainly knew how to write a big song. There won't be anyone like him again. 

Someone on Twitter described 'It's All Coming Back To Me Now' as 'that Celine Dion song that you first heard and thought 'that's really Meatloafy''.

I like Meat Loaf a lot, but Dion's version is an absolute belter. Meat Loaf covered it a few years later as a duet, which really took away from it - nothing to do with the other singer, but it meant none of the lyrics really shone, as you had someone else singing at the same time over some of the best bits.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chris B said:

Someone on Twitter described 'It's All Coming Back To Me Now' as 'that Celine Dion song that you first heard and thought 'that's really Meatloafy''.

I like Meat Loaf a lot, but Dion's version is an absolute belter. Meat Loaf covered it a few years later as a duet, which really took away from it - nothing to do with the other singer, but it meant none of the lyrics really shone, as you had someone else singing at the same time over some of the best bits.

Always been a big fan of the original Pandora’s box version.