2021 Celebrity Death Thread

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It's a little of both - they have obituaries prepped and ready to go for high profile enough figures, especially someone as old and as prominent as Prince Phillip, but likely were made aware ahead of time.

As I said earlier, the BBC have a ton of protocols in place for how to respond in the event of a royal death, which are categorised in terms of importance - suspension of programming, emergency broadcasting, and specific playlists to schedule. 

They've been a lot more on top of it since Diana - I believe either the BBC or the Royal Family didn't have a procedure in place specifically for Diana's death (in the way that Phillip's death is "Operation Forth Bridge", or the Queen's is "Operation London Bridge", they didn't have an equivalent lined up and ready to go, so had to use the protocols intended for the death of the Queen Mother. 

I can possibly offer a little insight on this having worked for a good while, until fairly recently for BBC Radio in a role that would have been heavily affected by this today (I would have needed to do a fairly substantial schedule change around what is playing out on air vs what had been scheduled across multiple worldwide feeds.)

The obits are prepped in advance, and updated regularly. I have listened to Phillip's, as well as the Queen's last year (there was also an updated one put together for Boris Johnson when he was in hospital with Covid). They're about what you would expect and as mentioned previously they are updated with some news coverage when they are needed and can be turned around very quickly when the news breaks. Honestly, the system and the dedication of the people who work there is astonishing and the speed at which this can all be implemented and on-air is brilliant. 

As for the protocols, Pat is spot on, although largely this is unpracticed/unrehearsed in my experience and it is disseminated throughout the network as things happen (which is the case for a lot of the BBC protocols, they are largely very flexible to move with the fluidity of news stories). 

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Dad died on Friday. Ben Spiller was a pretty great guy. I can't claim he's an actual celebrity but it's possible if you are from the Reading area you'd know him. He won the pride of Reading award i

Not what I've heard!

I'll not actively court it, because I fear he'll haunt me (and it's as much as I deserve), but I have already seen a bump in sales. The sole thing that allowed me to financially survive the first

Posted Images

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, mim731 said:

there was also an updated one put together for Boris Johnson when he was in hospital with Covid

What did it say?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What did it say?

[s]Devoted[/s] Leader, Beloved Cunt?

if someone could tell me how to put strikethrough, that’d be great. 

Edited by stumobir
  • Paid Members
48 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

What did it say?

It was all pretty complimentary, certainly nothing unexpected from a BBC obit done in advance. From what I recall it was focused on his time as PM and Mayor of London with a big focus on the Olympics. Although it's probably had another update since then  

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, stumobir said:

[s]Devoted[/s] Leader, Beloved Cunt?

if someone could tell me how to put strikethrough, that’d be great. 

square bracket code doesn't work anymore on the board unfortunately. But there is a button for strikethrough on the reply box.

Devoted Leader, Beloved Cunt?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Seems like it’s only bold or italics for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

B8586CDC-E5F5-40C2-A68F-4A3A87E5EA42.jpeg

eta: so as not to derail with me being a Luddite, my mate just said watching Harry at the funeral will be like when Hogan turned up at Bash at the Beach and I’m creased.

Edited by stumobir
  • Paid Members

What's the deal with Philip and Prince Charles? is it quite well known they didn't get on?

Charles did the classic 'he didn't suffer fools' line in his tribute which is what you say when your nan is a prick to everyone. 

The first thing that popped into my head finding out DMX had died was a scene from Top Five. As soon as i heard the growl i knew who it was and burst out laughing. RIP

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

@deathreyThe best thing about Tipping Point is the anger in the hosts eyes when the girl he fancies goes out as he was well looking forward to invading her space with hugs in the final. Creepy bastard. 

It’s too slick. They must cut out the bits where stuff gets stuck when it drops and they have to go and get the man.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

It’s too slick. They must cut out the bits where stuff gets stuck when it drops and they have to go and get the man.

Now all I want from life is there to be a man in a change cubicle just off camera that has to come with the keys.