2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

That is an absolute kicker. My love of boxing stemmed from my old man showing me tape after tape of the Leonard/Hearns/Hagler/Duran saga. The best era in boxing at a canter. Completely gutted about this one.

Exactly the same with me Frankie. It was my uncle in my case. He was big into boxing and had basically a whole cabinet full of old fights from the 70s right up to about 2000. He always had Sky so he used to tape me the WWF PPVs in the early-mid 90s and he’d always use an 8 hour VHS tape and just ram the remaining 5 hours after the PPV with any other wrestling he could find from WWF to NJPW on Eurosport. When I got into Boxing he started putting old fights on the tapes with the WWF stuff. That’s where I first saw Hagler and I was hooked. I didn’t realise he’d been retired years by that point so I’d be telling people at school as if he was the current champ and stuff. Of course I went back and watched most of his fights over the years and he’s probably my all time favourite. The Fab 4 era is what he’ll be remembered most for, the Hearns classic especially, but the Mugabi fight was incredible as well. As was him battering Alan Minter earlier in his career.

This interview with Tony Sibson after their fight sums it up. When a guy you’ve just battered speaks this highly of you, you’re something special...

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Exactly the same with me Frankie. It was my uncle in my case. He was big into boxing and had basically a whole cabinet full of old fights from the 70s right up to about 2000. He always had Sky so he used to tape me the WWF PPVs in the early-mid 90s and he’d always use an 8 hour VHS tape and just ram the remaining 5 hours after the PPV with any other wrestling he could find from WWF to NJPW on Eurosport. When I got into Boxing he started putting old fights on the tapes with the WWF stuff. That’s where I first saw Hagler and I was hooked. I didn’t realise he’d been retired years by that point so I’d be telling people at school as if he was the current champ and stuff. Of course I went back and watched most of his fights over the years and he’s probably my all time favourite. The Fab 4 era is what he’ll be remembered most for, the Hearns classic especially, but the Mugabi fight was incredible as well. As was him battering Alan Minter earlier in his career.

This interview with Tony Sibson after their fight sums it up. When a guy you’ve just battered speaks this highly of you, you’re something special...

Spot on. The Minter fight is brilliant because it showed just how bloody good Hagler was. Just a shame those dickheads in attendance ruined it.

Like everyone with any knowledge of the sport, that first round against Tommy Hearns is an absolute joy. The problem is, watching it with my old man when I was getting into boxing in the late 80s/early 90s, was that I assumed all fights were like this!

My joy was extended because around the time I started watching it and my Dad got all posh and got Sky, we had the Ben and Eubank era so had plenty of wars to enjoy, but as the years went by I realised just how special the Four Kings were.

Any time I watch Hagler Vs. Leonard I’m honestly torn as to who won, like many. One one viewing it’s Sugar, on the next it’s Marv. 

Today, it was definitely Marv’s W.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

7 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Spot on. The Minter fight is brilliant because it showed just how bloody good Hagler was. Just a shame those dickheads in attendance ruined it.

I’m pretty sure my first ever boxing memory was that fight, or at least the aftermath. Then when he legally changed his name to include Marvellous, that was it. I loved him. An absolute great. 

• Paid Members

Sabine Schmitz, lady racing driver, "Queen of the Nurburgring" and former Top Gear presenter has passed away at the age of 51 from cancer.

https://news.sky.com/story/sabine-schmitz-dead-top-gear-star-and-queen-of-the-nurburgring-racing-driver-dies-aged-51-12248488

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sabine Schmitz, lady racing driver, "Queen of the Nurburgring" and former Top Gear presenter has passed away at the age of 51 from cancer.

https://news.sky.com/story/sabine-schmitz-dead-top-gear-star-and-queen-of-the-nurburgring-racing-driver-dies-aged-51-12248488

'Pfft! I could do that time in a VAN!;
Awesome.

Such sad news. RIP Sabine.

Former footballer Frank Worthington at the age of 72.  

Towards the end of his career he made a few non-league appearances, and one of them was against the non-league side I followed and supported (pretty sure it had to be Weymouth he was playing for).  Anyway I rushed onto the pitch at the end of the game so he could sign my programme, only for my pen to have been upside down in my jacket pocket since we left the house and all the ink had ran out and leaked onto my jacket/top etc.  Even with no ink he still signed for me and somewhere I have a programme with an indent of Frank Worthington's autograph on! 

spacer.png

Any excuse to post this clip which I imagine will be all over social media today.

• Moderators

George Segal has died. I first saw him in Just Shoot Me, which I really loved at the time when it used to air on Paramount, and he just had a natural warmth and charisma that made him very likeable.

I'm not sure if it was actually good though / has held up well. Just checked it out on imdb and I see that it was created by Steven Levitan, who was one half of the team behind Modern Family which was really good in its early years, so maybe...

More recently he'd been in The Goldbergs in which he was great also. He was also in Entourage for a few episodes.

• Paid Members

He was great in Just Shoot Me, which I remember from it being on proper early morning Channel 4 before they settled into the Raymond/Frasier loop. He was in many more, much bigger things as well, but that's my main memory of his work.