I know it got a love on here when it first came out but I have just finished watching the first series of Cobra Kai which was added to Netflix last week.

What an absolutely incredible show. I breezed though the first season and I think Johnny might be in my top 5 of of all time favourite TV characters. His one liners are superb.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Chris's intervention is one of those scenes where every time I watch it something else in it makes me laugh hysterically. I think my favourite thing is how upset Tony is about the dead dog.

"That's because I know what it's like to lose a pet!"

He loved that horse a bit too much for my liking.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Chris's intervention is one of those scenes where every time I watch it something else in it makes me laugh hysterically. I think my favourite thing is how upset Tony is about the dead dog.

The faces people pull at certain things being said is great too. Paulie when Adriana says Chris can no longer function as a man and when Chris brings up the pine barrens. Benny and Furios faces when Tony says the losing a pet line with everyone knowing why a certain person is MIA. 

Chris telling Tony he’ll be dead of a heart attack by 50 still hits hard with how James Gandolfini died. 

Anyone else feel like Cobra Kai went off a bit of a cliff in the second series? Did the writers or anything change with the move to Netflix?

Brilliant first series though, loved what they did with the character dynamics and making Johnny the focus of the show, with Daniel Laruso heeling it up. Second series became a bit of a chore to get through though, similar to how I felt with Stranger Things. They probably did enough in the last 10 minutes of the otherwise disappointing finale to ensure I'll be back for the third one though. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Guy Bifkin said:

Anyone else feel like Cobra Kai went off a bit of a cliff in the second series? Did the writers or anything change with the move to Netflix?

Brilliant first series though, loved what they did with the character dynamics and making Johnny the focus of the show, with Daniel Laruso heeling it up. Second series became a bit of a chore to get through though, similar to how I felt with Stranger Things. They probably did enough in the last 10 minutes of the otherwise disappointing finale to ensure I'll be back for the third one though. 

It got picked up by Netflix for season 3. Youtube made seasons 1 and 2

Just now, Guy Bifkin said:

I found pretty much anything involving Miyagi-Do karate a chore in Season Two, probably not helped by the fact that Robbie and Sam are my two least favourite characters in the show.  I would've been happy had it focused just on the Cobra Kai side of things and the dynamic between Johnny, Kreese and the students (I don't want to say too much to avoid spoilers).  I could have also done without the introduction of Stingray too and less said about his involvement in the final episode the better.

The Duchess 

Katherine Ryan stars as a single mum, who is a bit foul mouthed and kooky, and decides that she wants another baby, whether that be with a surrogate or her ex or her current boyfriend.

It's alright. Ryan, who I can take or leave, is fine in the role and is a decent actress, but it's just not saying anything new, has been done before and all feels a bit calculated and aimed at a certain demographic, of which I'm clearly not the target audience, so that's fine.

It's breezy enough that I finished it in one go whilst doing other bits and bobs, and Rory Keenan as her nightmare ex-boy band ex is great, but the negatives are that the soundtrack is fucking awful (lots of 'coffee shop songwriters with their "bee bop a doo doo da day" style singing), and there is one really horrible punching down moment on travellers that I thought was a bit rank. 

One bit, where she takes her cup of tea on the school run, did have me laughing loudly, as it nails how British people would react to something like that.

Dunno, I'd probably watch a second series. Make of that what you will.

3 episodes into Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens and I love it. She plays a semi fictional version of herself, she's obviously great, but her grandmother is the stand out character with some absolute show stealing scenes, and this is well worth watching. 

I was eyeing up both of those last night before settling on some Always Sunny (FYI the I’m a full on rapist one). I’m not over enthused by Katherine Ryan, she’s good on panel shows but  I don’t think the character of Katherine Ryan holds up to prolonged viewing. I’m far more interested in the Awkwafina one and will check that out this week as Iplayer hasn’t let me down  this year yet.

On 9/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, SuperBacon said:

3 episodes into Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens and I love it. She plays a semi fictional version of herself, she's obviously great, but her grandmother is the stand out character with some absolute show stealing scenes, and this is well worth watching. 

Finished this last night, and absolutely loved it. It's very similar to Broad City in humour, content and style, but that's no bad thing as I really enjoyed that show too.

Edmund is a fantastic character, but the Grandma (Lori Tan Chinn) honestly could be a classic of the genre, she is that good. The episode where it tells her story as a young woman from China was brilliant.

Plus it features an appearance from one of my very earliest crushes

JENNIFER ESPOSITO!!!! Absolutely lovely