• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I honestly had no idea South Park was still going. I have to take my hat off if it’s still the same people still coming up with ideas after so many years. If it still makes them money, that’s a big thing, but I’d have thought it must get tiresome.

Much like the show has been for about 15 years.

2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I honestly had no idea South Park was still going. I have to take my hat off if it’s still the same people still coming up with ideas after so many years. If it still makes them money, that’s a big thing, but I’d have thought it must get tiresome.

I’ve not watched it in years so can’t speak to the quality of the output but I think they were somewhat rejuvenated by being able to churn out the episodes fairly quickly, in the space of a week I think, so they can use much more current events as fodder.

• Paid Members

South Park has been very hit and miss for the past 10 years really but it's definitely still enjoyable. Although it can feel stale and irrelevant at times. Their "both sides are dumb" viewpoint has definitely overstayed its welcome. There's some interesting think pieces out there on how the worldview of South Park long term negatively affected an entire generation of teenagers. 

• Paid Members

I once wrote an article as a university essay writing that South Park was one of the most forward thinking and feminist programs that was on TV all based around Randy Marsh being Lorde and how a speech Sharon made indicated that as long as you're happy and trying to make the world better, you shouldn't judge yourself or feel you have to change to avoid judgement. 

One of the best swing at the fence essays I ever did. 

It's definitely a show that should be made for maybe an hour episode every few months just to get a grasp on what's going on in the world. The fact tegrody farms and its storyline has been going on for like 3 years and they're referencing that but everyone's still the same age bugs me though. I honestly feel this is one of the few animation shows that could have got away with aging characters every few years. 

52 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I once wrote an article as a university essay writing that South Park was one of the most forward thinking and feminist programs that was on TV all based around Randy Marsh being Lorde and how a speech Sharon made indicated that as long as you're happy and trying to make the world better, you shouldn't judge yourself or feel you have to change to avoid judgement. 

One of the best swing at the fence essays I ever did. 

It's definitely a show that should be made for maybe an hour episode every few months just to get a grasp on what's going on in the world. The fact tegrody farms and its storyline has been going on for like 3 years and they're referencing that but everyone's still the same age bugs me though. I honestly feel this is one of the few animation shows that could have got away with aging characters every few years. 

Are you ignoring all the hullabaloo when they went to 4th grade??? 

The PC principal series stands up with any season of TV ever imo...... And I don't say things like that lightly.. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Are you ignoring all the hullabaloo when they went to 4th grade??? 

The PC principal series stands up with any season of TV ever imo...... And I don't say things like that lightly.. 

I may have genuinely forgot that they moved up a grade. 

1 in 20 years is still better than Family Guy and The Simpsons repeating birthday episodes every few years I guess 😂

While new Spitting Image wasn’t bad, I’m not sure it’s worth paying £5.99 a month for. Especially when you consider that it used to be on free TV the first time around. I contemplated keeping BritBox past the one week free trial but decided against it as there wasn’t really much else on BritBox that either I was that interested in or that I hadn’t seen already. Disappointed they’ve only got the first three series (along with the new series) of Spitting Image as well. And I really don’t care about celebrities introducing their favourite episodes or clips. I get the idea of BritBox for Americans who don’t get as much British TV as we do but for me personally, I was disappointed.

I watched it last night (aptly just after 10, it’s old time slot), it was good, never great but far far better more recent ‘topical’ impression based sketch output like Newzoids, Dead Ringers, etc. The absence of Jon Culshaw probably helped a lot, can’t stand his smug face (not that he would be visible, but you know what I mean).

Stuck with Community as my late night viewing of choice and just finished series 1 and pleased I stayed with it.

Whilst rarely laugh out loud funny, it is a very wry show full of lovely little touches and characters  (the paintball and chicken fingers episodes were especially excellent) and I love the movie/TV nods.

I still don't like Jeff as a character or an actor, and am now really bemused as to how he got to kiss/sex 3 very attractive women in the first series as well. Also, 25 episodes a series? No.

Also, the Anna Kendrick show Love Life, that I quite enjoyed is now on iPlayer for anyone interested, and the final episode of Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing was particularly lovely. I hope the show keeps going, as it makes me so happy watching it.