Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
On 9/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, Mr_Danger said:

I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country last night and it was a right mixed bag. The first 50 minutes or so were excellent. A story of some black folk travelling around 1950’s America whilst facing the horror or racism created incredible tension. It then turns in to True Blood: The Whacky Years and slides downhill quickly. Hopefully it picks back up as it has great potential but with it being based on a book I’d imagine they won’t have much room to manoeuvre and the tone has already shifted drastically.

I’ve kept up with this and it’s definitely better than True Blood: The Whacky Years. It’s still a mixed bag but the tonal shift is actually a big part of the show with the genre twisting each episode. There was even a Raiders of the Lost Ark episode. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

American Crime (finished series 2)

Not quite as strong as the first one but still really deep and strong all the way through. Juggles characters quite brilliantly and isn't afraid to ask some tough questions. Felicity Huffman is a gift.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (halfway through series 3)

Really impressed by how they're handling [spoiler]Peralta and Santiago's relationship[/spoiler] and actually allowing it to develop rather than find fractures in it. Craig Robinson's guest appearances are always a highlight though, that guy is great.

Fringe (just in to series 4)

I didn't realise Chadwick Boseman was a guest star in one of these, it was quite emotional seeing him pop in, and he was great. It's become superbly wrong-footing in where it goes and constantly keeps me guessing, I'm still surprised by how good it is and how strong it's remained.

Seinfeld (finished series 5)

My recollection that series 3 and 4 are perfect but that there are a couple of genuinely duff episodes in series 5 was spot on, it seems. But its peaks are on par with the previous two series, especially The Marine Biologist and The Fire. The Raincoats was a weird story to expand to two episodes though.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
What the fuck happened to the spoiler tags
  • Moderators
Posted
3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

 

On the Schitts Creek subject - I really didn't get it so gave up on it fairly early. Is it worth trying again? I know some shows take a while to really find their groove.

 

No, it's not very good at all. 

 

There's a button for spoiler tags now, @Devon Malcolm. It's the little eye.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I’m currently on Schitt’s Creek season 2. It’s definitely something that’s improved as it’s gone on and it’s a proper easy watch with some good laughs.

 

That said, I don’t hate Daniel Mays so maybe I’m the one in the wrong

  • Paid Members
Posted
12 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

On the Schitts Creek subject - I really didn't get it so gave up on it fairly early. Is it worth trying again? I know some shows take a while to really find their groove.

It's definitely a grower. Life's too short to wait for shows you don't like to get good though. I keep thinking about trying to power through This Country but then realise it doesn't really matter. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

American Brooklyn Nine-Nine (halfway through series 3)

He was extremely over the top but I loved Bill Hader's episode as the new captain.  Probably one of my favourite comedy guest spots in years, he was wild. 

Posted

Watched the first four episodes of I Hate Suzie last night.  Co-written by and starring Billie Piper, she plays Suzie Pickles, a one-time child star, now actor, who gets her phone hacked and intimate pictures leaked on the internet.  I enjoyed the first three episodes but it went right down the pan with the fourth.  It was as if they were trying to see how much they could get away with on screen, not to mention that it was all over the place with fantasy sequences and was just way too chaotic.  Also very, very reminiscent of Secret Diary of a Call Girl.  Piper is good but Leila Farzad, who plays her P.A. Nancy, is the star for me.  Hopefully that dismal fourth episode isn't an indicator of how the rest of the season plays out.  

Posted
3 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Watched the first four episodes of I Hate Suzie last night.  Co-written by and starring Billie Piper, she plays Suzie Pickles, a one-time child star, now actor, who gets her phone hacked and intimate pictures leaked on the internet.  I enjoyed the first three episodes but it went right down the pan with the fourth.  It was as if they were trying to see how much they could get away with on screen, not to mention that it was all over the place with fantasy sequences and was just way too chaotic.  Also very, very reminiscent of Secret Diary of a Call Girl.  Piper is good but Leila Farzad, who plays her P.A. Nancy, is the star for me.  Hopefully that dismal fourth episode isn't an indicator of how the rest of the season plays out.  

I've watched the first couple. It was okay but already started to feel very disjointed and with not much substance beyond making things a bit weird.

  • Paid Members
Posted
6 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I know the headline is there to grab attention, but I’m amazed that a daytime show on Channel 4 registered no viewers at a single point. I’m well aware that the Barb system is way of of date and inadequate given how many channels there are, but it still fascinated me somewhat.

Maybe people just don’t like Steph McGovern, which could easily explain it.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/steph-mcgovern-s-packed-lunch-hit-by-ratings-blow-weeks-after-relaunch/ar-BB19oTws?ocid=msedgdhp

I still can't believe that in this day and age, where a huge chuck of the TV's that are sold now are "smart" that the BARB system is the best way of working out a shows viewing figures. It must cost the smaller TV channels a hell of a lot of money in lost ad revenue. In fact, I'm sure I read on here that the old Wrestling Channel has a similar issue with getting a "0" rating for some of their shows, which in turn meant they couldn't pay the promotion who's show it was as officially no one watched it(I may have remembered that wrong though)...

Posted

The strangest thing about that 1PW no views show is that I’ve never seen anyone On here come out to debunk it and that promotion had people who would watch any shite they did.

Posted

I can't stand Steph McGovern but even I feel sorry for somebody receiving 0 viewers. That said, it's a shit show and anything going up against the behemoth that is the menopausal powerhouse Loose Women is going to come off worse. 

Should have stuck to discussing business on breakfast. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
18 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

The strangest thing about that 1PW no views show is that I’ve never seen anyone On here come out to debunk it and that promotion had people who would watch any shite they did.

It was 1PW, was it? Sounds about right actually. I just remember the anecdote had whoever was representing the promotion arguing that they couldn't have got a "0" as a friend of a firend's grandma had watched it or some shit like that, anyway...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...