• Paid Members

I feel like Rick & Morty started well, but it's not helped by the fans who see the obviously flawed characters as role models, and that whole nonsense about the szechuan sauce. 

• Awards Moderator

I think I’ve done It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia from start to finish four times during this COVID shitshow. Mainly in the background whilst I’m working but despite the multiple views, every couple of episodes something will come up where I snort at best but usually completely lose it. Frank Reynolds is possibly the best sitcom character of all time. Charlie's not far behind.

Partridge aside, it’s the most rewatchable show ever.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Probably posted about this somewhere already but fuck it..

Finally watched Westworld season 3. S2 was such a disappointing struggle after I absolutely loved the first season, so I went in very cautiously with this. I didn't watch week on week, and deliberately left it to watch away from the weekly criticism etc.

I must admit I enjoyed it. Did it make much sense? Debatable. But I can't argue against how good the cast are. Thandie Newton in particular is fucking dynamite and I'd watch a series just of her.

I'm not convinced they know what they're doing or where they're going but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more this time. The shorter season helped too.

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Probably posted about this somewhere already but fuck it..

Finally watched Westworld season 3. S2 was such a disappointing struggle after I absolutely loved the first season, so I went in very cautiously with this. I didn't watch week on week, and deliberately left it to watch away from the weekly criticism etc.

I must admit I enjoyed it. Did it make much sense? Debatable. But I can't argue against how good the cast are. Thandie Newton in particular is fucking dynamite and I'd watch a series just of her.

I'm not convinced they know what they're doing or where they're going but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more this time. The shorter season helped too.

I enjoyed the first few episodes as much as I’ve enjoyed Westworld since the start of season 1, but it lost me by the end and I don’t have a clue what happened in the last couple of episodes. I used to listen to a Westworld theories podcast that explained things to me but they’ve stopped doing that so I remain baffled.

Just now, HarmonicGenerator said:

I enjoyed the first few episodes as much as I’ve enjoyed Westworld since the start of season 1, but it lost me by the end and I don’t have a clue what happened in the last couple of episodes. I used to listen to a Westworld theories podcast that explained things to me but they’ve stopped doing that so I remain baffled.

Yeah it definitely started off stronger than it finished. I couldn't tell you what all that stuff at the end was if you asked me. I think I just went in looking to enjoy what I could - especially the performances - but it definitely doesn't make much sense if you overthink it.

It was so good up until the back quarter or the series. Even then there was enough to sell me on another season and it’s a miracle they rebuilt the lost faith after season 2 but some of those action sequences in the good episodes were to notch.

Kind of hope they wrap it up next series but I’m sure they’ll want 5.

Mrs America (BBC)

This drama centres around the ERA bill in the 70's and the fight between those for and against it and is just really great telly.

The cast is absolutely STACKED with Cate Blanchett, Rose Byrne, Elizabeth Banks, Sarah Paulson, Uzo Aduba and one of my favourites Melanie Lynskey, and loads more and although it can be a bit slow paced, it's incredibly well written and you get enough time with the characters to start to care about them.

Well recommended.

I May Destroy You (BBC) 

Now on episode 10, this blows everything else on TV this year out of the water.

Michaela Coel deserves every single award going and is incredible in this, in what is one of the most affecting performances I've ever seen.

The thing about the show is that despite the heavy subject matter, it is dealt with in such a realistic and grounded way. It doesn't feel heavy or dark. 

You're never beaten over the head with the information presented and the characters, even the victims, reflect on their own behaviours and how they could have been problematic to others in the recent past, or the present. 

It's a superb show.

There She Goes is back for a second series and they seem to be pushing for David Tennant to win a BAFTA this time after Jessica Hynes won one for the first series. He seems to be getting all the dramatic scenes. The best bit about this new series though is Rab C. Nesbitt playing David Tennant's late-80's indie music loving dad.

Finished The Good Place and I didn't think there was a big drop in quality.  I really enjoyed all of it, especially Danson.  I did get through the lot in a couple of weeks so maybe that could be a factor in why I thought it was constant.

• Paid Members

Top of the Lake

Started brightly, quickly went to shit, finished even worse. Don't think I'll bother with the second series. Fair play to Elisabeth Moss and Peter Mullan for doing their best with it though.

Currently on series 3 of Fringe, which has started superbly after a great second half of the second series.

Also started American Crime, the first two episodes are bloody outstanding. Really hope it keeps up the quality.