• Paid Members

Finished Vigil last night. Typical BBC stuff - mostly enjoyable, increasingly daft towards the end. Would take a second series.

Hank just went through his second puberty on King of the Hill.

Tim Heidecker just kicked Gregg Turkington off On Cinema at the Cinema over the Star Trek 2 / 4 row. Turkington deliberately stoked this up again at a difficult time in Tim's life. Bastard.

Stephen Graham's enjoying hamming it up and going rogue on Line of Duty. Series 3 was definitely the best one.

They just did another genie episode on The Twilight Zone. These hour long series 4 episodes at the weak point of the series to date, looking forward to series 5 when they go back to normal.

• Paid Members

Succession continues to be the best thing to have graced our screen for years. The latest episode was a belter, perfect blend of comedy and real cringe inducing tragedy, quite an accomplishment getting you to feel any sort of sympathy toward these characters and that last episode was a masterclass in it. I can’t think of a better cast series for a long time, maybe Westworld but that went off a cliff after the first season. 
The writing is impeccable and although I’m nowhere near ready for this to end, I’m already excited for future Jesse Armstrong projects. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Perry said:

It's a shame that's not the line up for the next full series. Much better than the celebs they have for Series 13.

Much as I want 10 episodes of Claudia chaos, the taskmaster lineup is always deceiving. Who thought Mike Wozniak would be the effervescent source of "absolute casseroles" or that Mawaan would be so endearing? Let's wait and see.

• Paid Members

yeah, the last episode was a complete disaster. Some bits of earlier episodes showed promise, but the last couple went peak Chibnall.

The weakness of "New Who" has always been a complete failure to satisfactorily pay off the end of a two-parter, so I was optimistic that by spreading one story out across six episodes they might actually get the pacing right for once, but that last episode was absolute bollocks.

Spoiler

Multiple villains built up over the course of six episodes who get done away with in such a perfunctory manner that I never really got what the point of it all, deus ex machina solutions to everything, and at least one subplot that could have been axed from the series entirely without it actually having any effect whatsoever. Just horrendous writing. 

On top of that, the Doctor's solution to the Flux being to sacrifice literal thousands of Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans? Fuck that. This is somehow the same character that, back in Genesis of the Daleks, eloquently explained why they didn't have the right to destroy the Daleks at their inception, now gleefully committing genocide within the same episode that they called out The Grand Serpent for having probably committed genocide. That they immediately followed up with them using Passenger to absorb the rest of the Flux just made me wonder why they bothered with having her kill everything in the first place, when they could have gone straight to that - it's a nonsense Doctor Who magical solution, but at least it's one that doesn't rely on turning the hero into a mass murderer. If they really wanted to write out all the baddies at the same time, just have them sucked into Passenger as well.

Finished MoneyHeist this week.

Was a bit concerned as thought the first 5 episodes released back in October were a little slow to start with, but the last 5 released last week brought the show back to season 1 levels of fun, laughter,  tears and some twists. Thought all of the last 5 episodes were brilliant. 

On 12/2/2021 at 5:57 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

For anyone that doesn’t want to watch it first thing in the morning or dig out the DVD box set, Frasier has been added to All4

Been making my way through this again and it's such a wonderful show.

Unfortunately it's missing a massive amount of episodes (Series 2 has about 6 episodes) but I'd forgotten just how funny and heartfelt it is. 

The scene where Martin talks about why he likes his old chair so much absolutely broke me. The best comedy goes from funny to pathos effortlessly. 

John Mahoney, Jane Leeves and Peri Gilpin (so fucking hot) are just a brilliant supporting cast, but David Hyde Pierces' performance is one of the most underrated of all time. He is spot on all the time, his delivery exceptional. 

I really must buy the boxset.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Unfortunately it's missing a massive amount of episodes (Series 2 has about 6 episodes) 

How/where are you watching it? Just had a look at the All4 app and it’s showing all 24 episodes for S2.

We rewatched the whole thing in Lockdown 1 as the wife had never watched it properly. We’re planning to rewatch again next year and rate each episode, but I’m beginning to wonder if that’s a worthwhile exercise as it’s so consistently great. Even the few episodes that could be considered “filler” are at worst a 7 out of 10.

Totally agree about Peri Gilpin though, major crush on her at the time.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

We’re planning to rewatch again next year and rate each episode, but I’m beginning to wonder if that’s a worthwhile exercise

It definitely isn't. That sounds really pointless. But if you do you have to set it a bunch of strict criteria for yourself ahead of time, and have some kind of rating moderation system in place otherwise it would be entirely impossible for the exercise to have any objectivity. And all of that sounds not very fun. 

Anyway. Fantastic show that I recently watched all the way through as well. It's really good all the way through for the most part. They really ran out of ideas for Roz's character though.