2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That show Outlaws on the iPlayer looks fascinating, but I think I'm only drawn to it because it's got Christopher Walken in it. Anybody watched it? 

There's only 2 episodes available on iPlayer. I'll definitely give it a whirl over the weekend.

• Paid Members

Watched the first Episode of The Outlaws. There are interesting characters. A few good jokes. Takes a heck of a twist about 15 minutes in when it starts getting dramatic. Walken is good in it. Merchant has snuck in little bits of Bristol lingo for him to spout now and again. It's also got Darren Boyd in it, who I remember as Jimmy Nesbitt's bloke sidekick in Lucky Man on Sky one a few years back, but is turning into one of "those guys" that turns up in loads of stuff in a supporting role. I'll be sticking it out as it's got a good story going on. It's on the iPlayer in the UK, and on Amazon Prime for people outside the UK under the name The Offenders. 

The premise is that there are 7 very different people doing community service, and the end of the first episode sets the rest of the series up. 

• Paid Members

I watched the first 2 episodes of The Outlaws on iPlayer. I thought it was alright. It's a bit cutesy at times. Several of the characters are fucking horrible people and they're trying to tread the line that they have good qualities despite their crimes and it doesn't always work.

It's very of it's time. Apart from Merchant and Walken's characters, the others are very stereotypical current characters, the Gammon, the leftie BLM activist, the Influencer, the black gang member and the student. Can't imagine we look back on this thing, ever, and think of it particularly fondly.

It's quite interesting, funny in places, has a dramatic sub-plot running through it and the slow reveal of the various characters is well done. I think it might get even more grating as it goes on then.

I watched the first two episodes of The Outlaws last week and came away pretty disappointed. I was expecting something a little more funny and light but it seems to be trying too hard to deal with current issues and ends up feeling like just another show full of stereotypical characters. There's nothing wrong with a show dealing with current issues, there's many great shows based on that but this just feels like it's trying too hard and having these characters the way they are just for the sake of it.

I don't mean to be too negative about the show, it's not terrible and I'm only two episodes in, so I'll stick with it and may end up being pleasantly surprised.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Pork Pie said:

I watched the first two episodes of The Outlaws last week and came away pretty disappointed. I was expecting something a little more funny and light but it seems to be trying too hard to deal with current issues and ends up feeling like just another show full of stereotypical characters. There's nothing wrong with a show dealing with current issues, there's many great shows based on that but this just feels like it's trying too hard and having these characters the way they are just for the sake of it.

I don't mean to be too negative about the show, it's not terrible and I'm only two episodes in, so I'll stick with it and may end up being pleasantly surprised.

It does feel like quite a tonal shift because it feels pretty light when it starts, and then goes all serious and dramatic. The pacing feels a bit weird as well. I didn't expect it to be an hour long episode, and wondered why it was taking so long. I think it's because Stephen Merchant is one of the writer/creators you expect 30 minutes of gags then onto the next one. 

Finished 3rd series of Stath Lets Flats and it was fantastic as always.

For a show that is so ridiculous, it has a lot of genuine heart and warmth, and superbly combines the two, as all the best comedies do. See 

Spoiler

Vasos singing at his wedding whilst Stath and Sophie dance

I can't choose one moment to quote as every line cracks me up, but Stath singing to that random baby had me howling, as did the 'lads' out on the town, and the crisps at the bar.

Also, 

Spoiler

Sophie to Al: Is it OK if I love you too? Oh my heart...

Absolute crooner of a series, you lucky sods.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

For a show that is so ridiculous, it has a lot of genuine heart and warmth, and superbly combines the two, as all the best comedies do. See 

Hide contents

Vasos singing at his wedding whilst Stath and Sophie dance

I can't choose one moment to quote as every line cracks me up, but Stath singing to that random baby had me howling, as did the 'lads' out on the town, and the crisps at the bar.

Also, 

Hide contents

Sophie to Al: Is it OK if I love you too? Oh my heart...

Absolute crooner of a series, you lucky sods.

The moment in episode 5 where

Spoiler

Al and Sophie declare their love for each other

was perfectly done. I laughed, I cheered, I had a big old smile on my face.

It’s getting a fourth series, isn’t it?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The "I got distracted by this road baby" 😆

• Paid Members

Second episode of The Outlaws is good. More "Oh, it's you." moments with some of the characters turning up in it. The main plot has a good pace to it as well. Not too slow, but not exactly breakneck speed. Walken is absolutely the star of the show. He's even had a dance number.