Perry Posted October 28, 2021 Posted October 28, 2021 2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said: That show Outlaws on the iPlayer looks fascinating, but I think I'm only drawn to it because it's got Christopher Walken in it. Anybody watched it? There's only 2 episodes available on iPlayer. I'll definitely give it a whirl over the weekend. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted November 1, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 1, 2021 Watched the first Episode of The Outlaws. There are interesting characters. A few good jokes. Takes a heck of a twist about 15 minutes in when it starts getting dramatic. Walken is good in it. Merchant has snuck in little bits of Bristol lingo for him to spout now and again. It's also got Darren Boyd in it, who I remember as Jimmy Nesbitt's bloke sidekick in Lucky Man on Sky one a few years back, but is turning into one of "those guys" that turns up in loads of stuff in a supporting role. I'll be sticking it out as it's got a good story going on. It's on the iPlayer in the UK, and on Amazon Prime for people outside the UK under the name The Offenders. The premise is that there are 7 very different people doing community service, and the end of the first episode sets the rest of the series up. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted November 1, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 1, 2021 I watched the first 2 episodes of The Outlaws on iPlayer. I thought it was alright. It's a bit cutesy at times. Several of the characters are fucking horrible people and they're trying to tread the line that they have good qualities despite their crimes and it doesn't always work. It's very of it's time. Apart from Merchant and Walken's characters, the others are very stereotypical current characters, the Gammon, the leftie BLM activist, the Influencer, the black gang member and the student. Can't imagine we look back on this thing, ever, and think of it particularly fondly. It's quite interesting, funny in places, has a dramatic sub-plot running through it and the slow reveal of the various characters is well done. I think it might get even more grating as it goes on then. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted November 1, 2021 Posted November 1, 2021 Sounds like Misfits without the super powers. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted November 1, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 1, 2021 29 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: Sounds like Misfits without the super powers. And Antonia Thomas being gorgeous. Quote
Paid Members Nexus Posted November 1, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 1, 2021 Latest episode of Succession was great. Kendall manages to somehow be the most tragic and unsympathetic character in a show full of pieces of shit. Quote
Pork Pie Posted November 2, 2021 Posted November 2, 2021 I watched the first two episodes of The Outlaws last week and came away pretty disappointed. I was expecting something a little more funny and light but it seems to be trying too hard to deal with current issues and ends up feeling like just another show full of stereotypical characters. There's nothing wrong with a show dealing with current issues, there's many great shows based on that but this just feels like it's trying too hard and having these characters the way they are just for the sake of it. I don't mean to be too negative about the show, it's not terrible and I'm only two episodes in, so I'll stick with it and may end up being pleasantly surprised. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted November 2, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2021 4 hours ago, Pork Pie said: I watched the first two episodes of The Outlaws last week and came away pretty disappointed. I was expecting something a little more funny and light but it seems to be trying too hard to deal with current issues and ends up feeling like just another show full of stereotypical characters. There's nothing wrong with a show dealing with current issues, there's many great shows based on that but this just feels like it's trying too hard and having these characters the way they are just for the sake of it. I don't mean to be too negative about the show, it's not terrible and I'm only two episodes in, so I'll stick with it and may end up being pleasantly surprised. It does feel like quite a tonal shift because it feels pretty light when it starts, and then goes all serious and dramatic. The pacing feels a bit weird as well. I didn't expect it to be an hour long episode, and wondered why it was taking so long. I think it's because Stephen Merchant is one of the writer/creators you expect 30 minutes of gags then onto the next one. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 6, 2021 Members Posted November 6, 2021 Finished 3rd series of Stath Lets Flats and it was fantastic as always. For a show that is so ridiculous, it has a lot of genuine heart and warmth, and superbly combines the two, as all the best comedies do. See Spoiler Vasos singing at his wedding whilst Stath and Sophie dance I can't choose one moment to quote as every line cracks me up, but Stath singing to that random baby had me howling, as did the 'lads' out on the town, and the crisps at the bar. Also, Spoiler Sophie to Al: Is it OK if I love you too? Oh my heart... Absolute crooner of a series, you lucky sods. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted November 6, 2021 Awards Moderator Posted November 6, 2021 (edited) 2 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Finished 3rd series of Stath Lets Flats and it was fantastic as always. For a show that is so ridiculous, it has a lot of genuine heart and warmth, and superbly combines the two, as all the best comedies do. See Hide contents Vasos singing at his wedding whilst Stath and Sophie dance I can't choose one moment to quote as every line cracks me up, but Stath singing to that random baby had me howling, as did the 'lads' out on the town, and the crisps at the bar. Also, Hide contents Sophie to Al: Is it OK if I love you too? Oh my heart... Absolute crooner of a series, you lucky sods. The moment in episode 5 where Spoiler Al and Sophie declare their love for each other was perfectly done. I laughed, I cheered, I had a big old smile on my face. It’s getting a fourth series, isn’t it? Edited November 6, 2021 by HarmonicGenerator Quote
Paid Members waters44 Posted November 6, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 6, 2021 New series of Worzel Gummidge tonight BBC1! 5:45 I think. It’s just a really nice family show, I’m really looking forward to it Quote
Keith Houchen Posted November 6, 2021 Posted November 6, 2021 Nice one, I’m sure it’ll give John Lewis a break from being the main gammon piss boiler for a few hours. Quote
Edgehead Posted November 6, 2021 Posted November 6, 2021 8 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Finished 3rd series of Stath Lets Flats and it was fantastic as always. I can't choose one moment to quote as every line cracks me up, but Stath singing to that random baby had me howling, as did the 'lads' out on the town, and the crisps at the bar. The "I got distracted by this road baby" ? Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted November 11, 2021 Paid Members Posted November 11, 2021 Second episode of The Outlaws is good. More "Oh, it's you." moments with some of the characters turning up in it. The main plot has a good pace to it as well. Not too slow, but not exactly breakneck speed. Walken is absolutely the star of the show. He's even had a dance number. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 14, 2021 Members Posted November 14, 2021 For those that have never seen it, Nathan For You has been added to Prime. I recommend you watch it. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.