16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Watching it right now! I'm on episode 6 having started it yesterday so that should tell you that it's fairly good (that or I have nothing to do today)

It's an interesting concept, but not always flawlessly executed.

For example 

Reveal hidden contents

The well played out trope of ultra violence to classical/slow jazzy music I could really do without 

Some people that watched it in my office found the first half hour of episode 1 a slog to get through and nearly gave up, but I explained its pretty standard Korean melodrama/back story telling (actually enjoyed that part a lot) and then it all kicks off.

The games are pretty brutal, and its gory so not one to watch with people that don't like a bit of blood and violence.

Sounds pretty similar to a recent Japanese show, Alice In Borderland which was interesting but flawed too and had all those gory games.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm seeing a LOT of hype for Squid Game, anyone seen it and is it worth the hype? I don't have Netflix but could possibly "find" it elsewhere.

I really enjoyed it. Me and my girlfriend binged it all very quickly as the first game got us hooked. The games and the last 20 minutes in a few episodes are the most fun with lots of good tension. Episodes 1, 4 and 7 in particular. We’re gonna start Alice In Borderland next as we’re all in on this type of show now. 

24 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’m not sure the BBC are the right people to be telling the Jimmy Saville story.

When this was first announced a few months back I was surprised to hear that it was for the BBC. Dramas like this usually have ITV written all over them.

Still, Coogan is an interesting casting choice.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, DavidB6937 said:

I finished Atypical recently. Interested to hear what you think of it.

Five episodes in and I think there’s a real warmth about it. It’s never laughing at the autistic kid (which I felt Big Bang Theory was built on). I love Zahid as the comic foil, he’s hilarious. I do feel conscious about how families who live with autism feel about it though, they’d see things I wouldn’t. 

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Five episodes in and I think there’s a real warmth about it. It’s never laughing at the autistic kid (which I felt Big Bang Theory was built on). I love Zahid as the comic foil, he’s hilarious. I do feel conscious about how families who live with autism feel about it though, they’d see things I wouldn’t. 

That's always been one of my thoughts but I've watched quite a few interviews with the cast and crew etc and they do seem really tuned in to representing it as sensitively as possible while still making it entertaining. I didn't see too much criticism of it over the years so hopefully it actually did pretty good.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's always been one of my thoughts but I've watched quite a few interviews with the cast and crew etc and they do seem really tuned in to representing it as sensitively as possible while still making it entertaining. I didn't see too much criticism of it over the years so hopefully it actually did pretty good.

The best show about autism I’ve seen was There She Goes. We gave up on Atypical a few episodes in when it seemed more focused on the parents affair then everything else. I’m sure it got better, as people are still watching it, but we never tried to carry on with it.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The best show about autism I’ve seen was There She Goes. We gave up on Atypical a few episodes in when it seemed more focused on the parents affair then everything else. I’m sure it got better, as people are still watching it, but we never tried to carry on with it.

The parents stuff is definitely part of it  but I do think they balance it well enough and give everyone their own storyline etc. I'd revisit it if you get stuck for anything to watch!

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Watching it right now! I'm on episode 6 having started it yesterday so that should tell you that it's fairly good (that or I have nothing to do today)

It's an interesting concept, but not always flawlessly executed.

For example 

Reveal hidden contents

The well played out trope of ultra violence to classical/slow jazzy music I could really do without 

Some people that watched it in my office found the first half hour of episode 1 a slog to get through and nearly gave up, but I explained its pretty standard Korean melodrama/back story telling (actually enjoyed that part a lot) and then it all kicks off.

The games are pretty brutal, and its gory so not one to watch with people that don't like a bit of blood and violence.

Finished this, and did enjoy it, but 

Spoiler

I get you have a second series (you shit) but I was shouting at the TV at what a fucking idiot he was for not getting on the plane.

Midnight Mass was more good Flanagan. I must admit I do like his brand of sad horror.

Spoiler

I pretty much called the ending as soon as I worked out the genre twist coming but I never would have guessed he’d kill his protagonist off half way through the series

. Hamish Linklater is really good in it, in particular his sermon in the second episode is excellent. He really gets the hypnotic building enthusiasm across well. 

I see Flanagan’s next one is about terminally ill people who meet up at midnight to tell scary stories, he’s basically the Stephen King of film and television without the weird awful sex stuff. He’s not without his flaws but he does character and story better than most in horror. Still can’t believe how good his Doctor Sleep was all things considered.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

Just started watching Midnight Mass as well. Very distracted by some of the casting in the first episode and if there's not a good reason for this by the end I'll be fuming.

In other news, just look at Spitting Image:-