21 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Help

Jack Thorne really knows how to write grim, depressing yet utterly captivating TV. After writing a bunch of This Is England 88/90 and The Virtues episodes, it definitely seems like him and Stephen Graham are made for each other.

Jodie Comer is so good in this and deserves a BAFTA purely for that absolutely mega 20-minute long, one shot sequence of her doing the night shift.

Totally agree, Jodie Comer was absolutely brilliant in this and deserves every accolade and award going.

Was there ever much love for Ripper Street on here? I've ditched Netflix for a bit now that I got a whole 6 months of Prime for free and this is one of the shows I've given a chance, it's daft and some of the dialogue is cheesy as fuck but I've been enjoying it and it's regular cast quite a bit.

• Paid Members
On 9/17/2021 at 9:53 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Help

Jack Thorne really knows how to write grim, depressing yet utterly captivating TV. After writing a bunch of This Is England 88/90 and The Virtues episodes, it definitely seems like him and Stephen Graham are made for each other.

Jodie Comer is so good in this and deserves a BAFTA purely for that absolutely mega 20-minute long, one shot sequence of her doing the night shift.

That bit broke me 

Spoiler

The whole thing was sad and depressing. But what she had to do with Kenny, how he was, that’s what happened with my Dad. He was lucky he was in a hospital, but that was the process they followed before they had to put him on a ventilator until he passed. I’m so so angry at the government for what they did. Care homes were turned into ticking time bombs.

Heartbreaking show though with fantastic acting performances 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Was there ever much love for Ripper Street on here? I've ditched Netflix for a bit now that I got a whole 6 months of Prime for free and this is one of the shows I've given a chance, it's daft and some of the dialogue is cheesy as fuck but I've been enjoying it and it's regular cast quite a bit.

Yes, I thought it was decent enough.

Watching through Sex Education S3; it's still quite good, although it does seem to be much more "this is a problem for an episode, we need to solve it before the end of this episode", which is less of a slow-burn than I would normally enjoy -

Spoiler

Like the fact that Adam wants to be the bottom during sex with Eric - it could've been a longer thing rather than a short thing. Also not a fan of the cat death but otherwise enjoying it.

Still got three episodes to go though.

Also been watching Quantum Leap, which I'd never seen before. It's interesting to see how well/badly some of the scenes hold up - for example my wife told me about the episode where Sam leaps into the body of the Black man in a Southern state - was worried we'd get Sam in blackface, but actually it was handled pretty well. 

Finally, finished the first season of The Owl House on Disney+. Another cartoon which is pretty fun. 

Edited by Nexus

On 9/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, Merzbow said:

It seemed to be the Beeb’s big new series at one point only to then get pushed to a side once Peaky Blinders came along a year later, like when Mr Burns lost interest in Frank Grimes after hearing about the heroic dog

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators

I watched two episodes of Champions so you don't have to. What a completely predictable uninspired load of shit.

I've also got around to starting series 11 of Archer which I forgot existed. Still got some good laughs even if it is well past its prime. I'll happily watch through it all.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

@gmoney was it you who recommended Documentary Now? Just watched the first episode and it was great, superb the way it essentially becomes a found footage horror film. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Halfway through series 7 of King of the Hill, still absolutely great stuff, of course.

Started the fourth series of The Twilight Zone and disappointed the episodes are an hour long now. The first two episodes would have been perfect at half an hour long. Ahh well.

Finished the first series of I Think You Should Leave and, to be honest, I don't care for it that much. A couple of the sketches are really good (especially the organist one with Fred Willard) but even I got bored by all the scatalogical jokes all the time. I'll watch the second series though in case the quality's more consistent.

Nearly done series 3 of Line of Duty. 

Spoiler

If only they'd have the good sense to kill Neil Morrissey off after one episode like they did with Daniel Mays

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@gmoney was it you who recommended Documentary Now? Just watched the first episode and it was great, superb the way it essentially becomes a found footage horror film. Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

I was. It does very well to walk the tightrope of parodying very specific things, while still making it funny if you haven't seen those things. The episode about the Al Capone festival is a particular highlight. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished the first series of I Think You Should Leave and, to be honest, I don't care for it that much. A couple of the sketches are really good (especially the organist one with Fred Willard) but even I got bored by all the scatalogical jokes all the time. I'll watch the second series though in case the quality's more consistent.

Seen a few clips of this on Youtube and loved it. Caught about 4 or 5 full episodes on Netflix and there are a couple of misses. Not sure what sketches are in which season but Baby of The Year, Coffin Flop and Prank Show  got big laughs from me. As did the one with the guy trying to hide a hot dog up his sleeve.

You’re right about all the shit jokes though.

2 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Seen a few clips of this on Youtube and loved it. Caught about 4 or 5 full episodes on Netflix and there are a couple of misses. Not sure what sketches are in which season but Baby of The Year, Coffin Flop and Prank Show  got big laughs from me. As did the one with the guy trying to hide a hot dog up his sleeve.

You’re right about all the shit jokes though.

Baby Of The Year is series 1, the others are series 2, assuming Prank Show is when Tim dresses up in that ridiculous suit.

I think series 2 is one of the funniest things ever on TV with Calicocutpants.com being one of the best sketches ever. I think I've watched it at least 30 times since it came out.

@Astro Hollywood is a big fan and we all know hes the king comedy taste maker :)

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I was in the right mood for I Think You Should Leave and binged it all. Just good daft humour. The hot dog car was one of my favourites and The Night Robert Palin Murdered Me still cracks me up with his last line. 

For me the highlight of series 1 is the nachos scene. Tim's reactions in that are 11/10.

Is there a Stranger Things thread on here? Could’ve sworn there was. Anyway I watched it all and thought David Harbour is a stick on to play Benoit in any biopic. I’m sure many have said that. 

Enjoying Only Murders In The Building, Martin and Short are in good form, and just started Atypical. 

15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is there a Stranger Things thread on here? Could’ve sworn there was. Anyway I watched it all and thought David Harbour is a stick on to play Benoit in any biopic. I’m sure many have said that. 

Enjoying Only Murders In The Building, Martin and Short are in good form, and just started Atypical. 

I finished Atypical recently. Interested to hear what you think of it.

I got a little bored of Stranger Things for reasons unknown but I'll get back to it as I think it's pretty decent. I sometimes enjoy things more away from the hype.