1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Have they? I watched two episodes and noted a lack of laughter track being quite refreshing. Surely my brain isn’t so broken than there was one that I didn’t even notice.

I did like what I watched though,  a bit like a less shitter Ideal. Was it part of the raft of BBC3 sitcoms that were coming thick and fast at the turn of the century? Surprised I never caught it first time around. Benedict Wong too!

It's only on some episodes. I think episodes 6 has one for some reason.

• Paid Members
On 8/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, wordsfromlee said:

It's only on some episodes. I think episodes 6 has one for some reason.

Apparently that ep was the pilot, and there was a version of it with a laugh track. Both versions were identically labelled, hence the error. It'll probably be sorted out soon.

Vigil

A murder whodunnit on a submarine? Great concept, and this has a superb cast but the awful writing and stupid ham acting (and the need to take the story into conspiracy areas) let this down.

I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of this type of thing but it autoplayed and I was too lazy to reach the remote.

Despite my criticism though, I would walk on broken glass to sniff Suranne Jones armpits, so I'll watch the rest.

3 hours ago, Perry said:

Just noticed they've added the boxset of The Thin Blue Line on the iPlayer.  This was probably the last decent sitcom to have Ben Elton's name attached to it.

Also thought David Haig was great in this. 

Decent? Like shite was it decent. It was fucking awful. Brittas Empire awful. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Decent? Like shite was it decent. It was fucking awful. Brittas Empire awful. 

The difference is even though he was an absolute bell end, I sort of sided with Gordon Brittas. Whereas Beans Plod character (cba to look it up) was just unlikeable, smug with zero redeeming features whatsoever.

If you make the character that way, you HAVE to include a smidgen of humility. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DCW said:

Anyone watched and stuck with Ted Lasso? I watched the first two eps and found the writing lazy and the whole show a bit too schmaltzy. I can already picture the Coldplay montage when he eventually wins everyone over.

I love Lasso. But I can see why it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. But if the world was full of more people like Ted Lasso it would be a better place. It took me 4 episodes for me to get invested though.

Ted Lasso is the most overrated (mostly by Americans)show of the last couple of years. It gets by on heart alone. Jason Sudekis is really good as Ted and Brett Goldstein, Juno Temple and the others are all fine but it’s the mesh of American style and British style ‘comedy’ that doesn’t work for me. It’s a fine show with an excellent central character, an easy watch but with very few laughs. I’d probably say it’s at the higher end of watchable shitcoms.

Also started watching The White Lotus. I can already tell Murray Bartlett is going to be one of my favourite new (to me) tv actors. He’s excellent in this. Plus Steve Zahn balls.

Edited by Mr_Danger

It's pretty watchable but I'd completely agree on the overrated by Americans bit, and especially by US football fans.

It seems just because it's set here, it almost immediately pops it up a few marks above what it would be.

Having said that, I'd love an AFC Richmond shirt, and I do love seeing all the locations and places I used to frequent.