• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

and when Billy showed up as a lifeguard she started pretending to be sick.

In front of you, of course she did this. But I can bet you any money later that night she was thinking about his sweet perm rather than you in your referee stripes.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Trying to finish This Is Us - mostly because I'm a big Sterling K. Brown fan - but damn this final season is the most depressing thing I've ever watched. I thought I got depressed watching Ozark but fuck me. I'm having to space the episodes out because it's just too much.

Just two episodes left and they are going to put us through the wringer. However I don't find it depressing at all, quite the opposite I find it a celebration of life and how it all messily meshes together.

The episode 'Miguel' is simply outstanding. The Billy Joel song 'So It Goes' came on the Spotify yesterday and I nearly lost it.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Just two episodes left and they are going to put us through the wringer. However I don't find it depressing at all, quite the opposite I find it a celebration of life and how it all messily meshes together.

The episode 'Miguel' is simply outstanding. The Billy Joel song 'So It Goes' came on the Spotify yesterday and I nearly lost it.

Oh I definitely have moments of that positive stuff too. I'm sure once it all finishes I'll be able to look at those more. But yeah it can definitely be a tough watch. I guess it's all credit to the writers and cast for making all the relationships so believable that I'm invested in that many characters.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I think my lack of emotions for the most part of the final season of This is Us are 

Spoiler

Because Kate is just the worst person and Kevin isn't much better. But they all did Toby dirty. Also Rebecca's old lady death make up is pretty awful. I have found this season has relied on flashbacks which amount to nothing. Found it very fillery at times

Though I agree, Miguel was the best episode in ages and made a huge difference to how I viewed him, or rather, cared a lot more about him then I had.

Everything with Randall and Beth and their family though is generally great.

I’m on the third series of Bloodline. There is absolutely nobody to root for. They’re all awful people, but unlike say The Sopranos, or Mad Men, there’s no charm. It’s well acted and written though so that keeps me coming back. 

Ergh, that seems like quite a commitment. I'm not sure it's worth if as the last session felt a bit formulaic. No doubt I will try and to watch it as I've seen all the other series' but it feels like its going to be a slog 

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

we finished season 3 last night.

It never really feels like it pulls into focus, and it's a lot more forced than what came before. Where a lot of the excitement comes from in series one is that you have different groups all reaching the same conclusion through different means - you have the kids, Joyce & Hopper, and Jonathan & Nancy all figuring out bits of what's going on, but not realising that the others are working towards the same thing, so it not all coming together until the end. In series three, everyone feels like they're off doing their own thing, and them coming together for the finale doesn't feel like it actually makes much sense. At one point, you go from the Russians saying that they've got every entrance to the mall sealed off to two instances of a group of characters showing up to save the day at the last second, seemingly without any difficulty.

The strength of series two was in its characterisation - the plot was weaker, but you related more to the characters and what they were going through, and they started to feel more real than they did in the previous series. In series three, Hopper's practically a cartoon character, his and Joyce's relationship is just cartoonish bickering, and the kids are still going through much the same, "they're growing up, and are interested in girls now" arc that felt pretty comprehensively covered in series two. The only character that feels like they actually grow and develop is Steve.

I have a pet peeve when it comes to sci-fi, fantasy, and sometimes horror franchises, and it's the tendency to think that bigger is better/scarier. The Star Wars sequels did it with, "it's like a Death Star, but bigger!" - that doesn't actually upscale the sense of danger, though, as a Death Star was already incomprehensively big. How am I meant to be even more concerned than a weapon that can blow up a planet, something completely outside of my frame of reference? Doctor Who was often awful for it under RTD, with "the fate of the universe and time and space itself in the balance" at least once a series. Where drama actually comes from is interpersonal issues. Threaten one character I care about, and I'll be more invested than "we have to save the world", because even the most ambitious TV writer is unlikely to destroy the Earth in the course of their episodic series.

Stranger Things falls into the same trap. Series one works because it's ultimately got a Stephen King/Twin Peaks For Beginners vibe of the dark underbelly of small-town America. There's a major threat, but only a very small number of characters ever find out about it, and its effects are pretty succinctly covered up. Some of that unravels in series two, but not so much that a shady government conspiracy can't conceivably keep on top of things. By series three, you would have to account for dozens dead (including several prominent figures), untold property damage, the exposure of a Russian plot on American soil, presumably at least some eye-witness accounts of the giant flesh monster rampaging around the outskirts of town, and why so much of this seems to keep centring around a small group of people. I know they did the wrap-up scenes at the end with a TV news thing going all Satanic panic about it, but unless the tone of the next series is going to largely be about how people are dealing with all this, it just seems incomprehensible that the residents of Hawkins can go about their daily lives in an ordinary fashion any more - and if it's no longer a sleepy small town, that kind of kills the appeal.

Given that we're looking at the next series spanning multiple states and countries, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better, isn't it? 

• Paid Members

Does series 12 of King of the Hill improve because the first six or seven episodes are terrible. The previous two series were a bit of a downturn but fucking hell. Maybe I should give up and leave the memories of the brilliant first nine series alone.

• Paid Members

The mid season finale of Better Call Saul was a gut punch of an episode. Up there with the best of Breaking Bad for leaving you emotionally spent. Not a bad performance in the entire show. Perfect Television. 

3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Does series 12 of King of the Hill improve because the first six or seven episodes are terrible. The previous two series were a bit of a downturn but fucking hell. Maybe I should give up and leave the memories of the brilliant first nine series alone.

12 iwnt great but 13 is pretty good and has the greatest finale in TV history.

2 hours ago, chokeout said:

The mid season finale of Better Call Saul was a gut punch of an episode. Up there with the best of Breaking Bad for leaving you emotionally spent. Not a bad performance in the entire show. Perfect Television. 

Just came to say pretty much the same thing. Absolutely stunning. The cinematography. The performances. All of it. Such a rollercoaster.