• Paid Members

I watched this great TEN FUCKING HOURS long retrospective series on Lost over the last week. It goes into great detail reviewing when it was amazing and when it turned to shit. I had more to say but I keep fucking up the spoiler tags and can't be arsed now.

Recommended if you lovehate the show like I do.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme
spoiler

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Really enjoyed watching the last 2 episode sog the fifth series of Schitt's Creek. The one with the proposal, and the performance of Cabaret. 

We’ve just reached this point in Schitt’s Creek as well. One of those shows that just stepped up a level when they added a new character (Patrick). Every episode has a moment that puts a big smile on Mrs HG’s face. We’d heard all the Emmy winning hype, and it’s lived up to it.

BARRY (Sky) - Along with Better Call Saul coming back, I was incredibly excited for BARRY. A solid start (No Ho Hank remains incredible), with some great shots (not a pun) Hader is a really talented Director and I hope he gets to do something on the big screen soon.

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, Factotum said:

BARRY (Sky) - Along with Better Call Saul coming back, I was incredibly excited for BARRY. A solid start (No Ho Hank remains incredible), with some great shots (not a pun) Hader is a really talented Director and I hope he gets to do something on the big screen soon.

I finally caught up with Barry over the past few weeks after missing it when it was first on. I'm now up to date and it might be one of my favourite ever shows. Episode 5 of season 2 was a masterpiece.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

We’ve just reached this point in Schitt’s Creek as well. One of those shows that just stepped up a level when they added a new character (Patrick). Every episode has a moment that puts a big smile on Mrs HG’s face. We’d heard all the Emmy winning hype, and it’s lived up to it.

Schitt’s Creek is like a fine wine, it got better every year, pretty unheard of with a comedy as it’s normally the reverse (Hello Modern Family). I’d love to see more, but also I feel it went out on top. Just a lovely series.

• Paid Members

I feel you on the decline of Modern Family. They definitely hung around for too long after they'd peaked. 

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Recommended if you lovehate the show like I do.

Timely as I am about 2 episodes short of finishing my (at least) third re-watch. 

That opening episode and whole first series is arguably the best first series of anything. Exciting, dramatic, human... It's a perfect setup. 

Does it land everything it promises? Not by a long shot. But the journey and following those core characters through to the end is a thrilling ride. And if you console yourself that every detail won't be picked on you can enjoy it for what it is. 

That YouTuber is a classic nerdy snark (said middle aged man on wrestling forum) of just not understanding the bigger picture of how these things are put together. Of how marketing isn't connected to anything else, how yeah, producers are just going to say stuff in interviews to keep you watching, at how studio money is going to tell you what you have to focus on. It's really telling in my first re-watch in 10 years truly boxsetting it the unresolved points just drop away as you focus on the overarching story. Without all week to obsess on UKFF over the details you can't keep track of it all. 

Still incredibly quotable though. That whole "why do you find it so easy?" sequence. "I'm from Minnesota," "Skeletor here seems to like it" "you've got some Arzt on you". All great stuff. 

Yeah, I really enjoyed my rewatch a good few years ago with the added benefit of lowered expectations. With the foresight of what is bollocks and what isn’t you can just enjoy the characters. It clearly took some turns that weren’t completely planned but I think it stands up fairly well.

• Paid Members

Better Call Saul continues to be amazing and packed with stunning performances but I could not be more pissed off because

Spoiler

Fucking netflix put a warning at the start for strong language, violence (fine!) and suicide, which totally ruined the tension in the end. I was gutted. 

Edited by chokeout

I don’t think there’s many shows that have managed to make better characters than Better Call Saul. Obviously a lot of them are expanded on from Breaking Bad but they could have an episode that centres on Howard getting his anus bleached and it’d still be top notch quality and have my full investment. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, chokeout said:

Better Call Saul continues to be amazing and packed with stunning performances but I could not be more pissed off because

Reveal hidden contents

Fucking netflix put a warning at the start for strong language, violence (fine!) and suicide, which totally ruined the tension in the end. I was gutted. 

Ah yeah.. They had that for Snowpiercer as well, although it wasn't a hugely dramatic spoiler it was still annoying.

• Paid Members

I've been rewatching Stranger Things, ahead of the new series. My girlfriend never saw past series one, so it's quite nice revisiting it - only halfway into series two now.

While it has its moments in series two and three, it's only through going back and watching the first series again that it's clear just how much it lost its way and relies on goodwill and a few good performances to keep up any kind of momentum. Part of that is just that it moves further from what I personally want from a series like this, but series one just feels like it's so tightly-focused, well-plotted, and as feasible as that kind of story can get, and just a great bit of TV. Beyond that, everything just spirals off into trying to be bigger and broader reaching, and you lose the appeal of it being "weird goings on in small town America" which, to me, was always the selling point. I haven't got to the worst episode of series two yet, so I'll be interested to see what the other half makes of that one, and just generally whether my opinions on it all shift at all by the end of series three, or as series four kicks off.