• Paid Members

Ozark is the biggest casualty of trying to film during COVID, there’s whole scenes of terrible green screen with multiple characters that were obviously not in the same room. There’s a shocking example of a scene with a freeze frame of Jason Bateman being used (I’ve not gone back to see if it’s real but if it is...wow)

it speaks volumes for the quality of the acting that it wasn’t worse. 

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Any good shitcoms getting rebooted for the precious content meter? I couldn’t sit through Jerry Stillerless King of Queens. This also explains why there’s no catch up service for Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is on the My5 app. They're showing it from the start on Saturday nights on 5USA. Then putting them up on My5 afterwards. I think they're halfway through Season 2 at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Rossman said:

Yellowstone is on the My5 app. They're showing it from the start on Saturday nights on 5USA. Then putting them up on My5 afterwards. I think they're halfway through Season 2 at the moment.

Yeah I want it all in one go dammit!

I think Ozark is fine and have said it’s a good 4/5 show but what separates it from Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul or even the G.O.A.T of the crime drama The Soprano’s is the quality of the writing. It tells you that Marty and his family are super clever, cleverer than the cleverest but it rarely shows you it. That and the aforementioned unrelenting bleakness are what stops it moving up a tier. 

• Paid Members

Public service announcement for people wondering whether to watch Mike Myers'  The Pentaverate

If you go in expecting it will be shit you'll hate it. If you try to suck any enjoyment you can from seeing Mike do his schtick for the first time in nearly 15 years then there's plenty I enjoyed.

Also Debi Mazar is amazing.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

16 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Public service announcement for people wondering whether to watch Mike Myers'  The Pentaverate

If you go in expecting it will be shit you'll hate it. If you try to suck any enjoyment you can from seeing Mike do his schtick for the first time in nearly 15 years then there's plenty I enjoyed.

Also Debi Mazar is amazing.

Hello you!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, pol_pot_rick said:

Apparently s2 of Floor is Lava feature AEWs Orange Cassidy, Chuck Taylor & Kris Statlander

Is the daft twat going to take his hands out of his pockets for this?

• Paid Members

Watched the second series of The Other One this week. Only 5 episodes, so both series and the pilot make up to a BBC Friendly 12. Ends on a cliffhanger/punchline. I can see what they'd do with a third series, but the fact that they didn't stretch to a 6th episode for this series leads me to think they're going to leave it there, but can always revisit it for a special sometime in the future. 

• Paid Members
On 4/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Let us know how quickly your girlfriend falls for mum shagging uber alpha Brian Pillman man.  Bet it’s not as fast as Nancy’s mum.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:13 PM, BomberPat said:

at the moment she thinks he's a horrible prick, I'll keep you posted.

Update: We're three episodes into series 3, and when Billy showed up as a lifeguard she started pretending to be sick.

Series 3, on second viewing, isn't really any better than I thought it was the first time around (so far). Series two's overall story was weaker than series one, but the character development made up for it - the kids in particular felt like more well-rounded, believable versions of themselves, and Hopper and Joyce had some really good moments too.

Series 3 feels like it really does Hopper a disservice, he's just turned into an absolute cartoon character version of himself, just a bumbling angry dad who's incapable of self-expression or even understanding the need to talk to his kid, having to ask Joyce what a "heart to heart" even is. Just a really regressive take on what had been a really great character. 

Similarly, you'd think by this point that people would start to take Joyce Byers seriously. It does feel that the drawings pinned up all over the walls in series two, and now fixating on magnets in series three, is an attempt to recapture the vibe of the Christmas lights hung up everywhere in series one, but even so, you'd think that people would have got to the point of just assuming that when she's panicked about something it's probably with good cause, as she's always been right. Again, it feels a bit of a failure of character development - not so much for Joyce herself, but for everyone around her. 

Luckily series three is salvaged by the Steve and Dustin team-up, otherwise it wouldn't have much going for it.

Steve in general becomes one of the best things about that show. As if he got fucked off for the rapey brother. Also reminding me how fucking shit they made Hopper in the third series has seriously dampened my enthusiasm for a rewatch.

I watched ALL of Outer Range. Not just the promising first couple of episodes or the first half, the entire eight episodes! Seems like a show that would be hard to make so uninteresting as it’s a tidy concept. Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks is what I imagine the pitch was and I’ll watch Josh Brolin be a cowboy in almost anything but it just turns to shit nonsense pretty fast and the character who exists to sing 80’s power ballads and be quirky sums up how the show approaches the strangeness it wants.

Trying to finish This Is Us - mostly because I'm a big Sterling K. Brown fan - but damn this final season is the most depressing thing I've ever watched. I thought I got depressed watching Ozark but fuck me. I'm having to space the episodes out because it's just too much.

Also been re-watching Carnivale off the back of reading one of those random 'TV shows that deserved more' articles that popped up on social media somewhere. Still absolutely love it. 

14 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I watched ALL of Outer Range. Not just the promising first couple of episodes or the first half, the entire eight episodes! Seems like a show that would be hard to make so uninteresting as it’s a tidy concept. Yellowstone meets Twin Peaks is what I imagine the pitch was and I’ll watch Josh Brolin be a cowboy in almost anything but it just turns to shit nonsense pretty fast and the character who exists to sing 80’s power ballads and be quirky sums up how the show approaches the strangeness it wants.

Watched this recently as well and, while I liked bits of it, felt very underwhelmed overall. 

I love anything with a modern/neo-western bent to it and I felt like the sci-fi element could have been intriguing, but it just seemed very muddled. Brolin, Lili Taylor and some of the rest of the cast carried things, but I expected a lot more. 

Just started season three of Barry yesterday. What a fucking show that is.