7 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Started watching Yellowstone. Only the first two episodes but it seems like a less sharply written Succession but for cow boys. I’m gonna binge the shit out of it.

It is absolutely class. It gets much better, too. 

• Paid Members

Randomly picking through the iPlayer I happened across The Other One, about a lady called Catherine Walcott (Cathy), who's somewhat fastidious and buttoned down, and discovers at her dad's funeral that she has a half sister, also called Catherine Walcott (Cat) who lives on the council estate and is a caricature of council estate life. 

The dad was a fan of yacht rock, so there's a lot of that turns up on the soundtrack. It's alright. I think it strikes a chord with me because of my discovering about all my half siblings, plus it's filmed around greater Manchester so I keep trying to figure out whether I can recognise any of the locations. 

• Moderators
On 2/25/2022 at 12:20 PM, gmoney said:

I've caught up with The Righteous Gemstones. This series has been fantastic. I enjoyed the last one but it ran out of puff by the last couple of episodes, this has been paced beautifully. Eric Roberts, Edi Patterson, Walton Goggins, and Danny Cavalero as Keefe all MVPs. 

Last episode has in the finest casting yet. Its had the best ensemble cast of any sitcom I've ever seen. I actually cheered when I saw

Spoiler

JOHN FUCKING AMOS 

And in other final episode news... 

Spoiler

Eric Andre as the evil as fuck Paedo at the orphanage Lisson is amazing. Loved the journo Kurt Angle Steel chair on the rope spot with a gun to kill himself too. 

Danny McBride is amazing. The Gemstones could be the most hateable family in the world (other than Momma Gemstone who was a Saint) , but he manages to find the heart, warmth and humanity in everyone as dickish as they are. 

Also, A TOILET BABY! 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator

So Netflix came along and we were all chuffed at the new horizon. Then networks started doing them own streaming and we were "hmm OK this is fine." Individual services like WWE and UFC did their own channels, alright. 

But now one TV show has their own streaming service, Taskmaster. 

https://taskmastersupermaxplus.vhx.tv/browse

This is a mind bogglingly shit idea. The plan is to have every international episode on there but still. A bad direction to go in. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So Netflix came along and we were all chuffed at the new horizon. Then networks started doing them own streaming and we were "hmm OK this is fine." Individual services like WWE and UFC did their own channels, alright. 

This is a mind bogglingly shit idea. The plan is to have every international episode on there but still. A bad direction to go in. 

How many international versions are there? And how many will be any good? The US version with Reggie Watts seemed  curious but the cast seemed mostly awful so didn’t seek it out. But £6 a month for 1 show? And it’s a show I love, but Jesus.

• Awards Moderator
25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

How many international versions are there? And how many will be any good? The US version with Reggie Watts seemed  curious but the cast seemed mostly awful so didn’t seek it out. But £6 a month for 1 show? And it’s a show I love, but Jesus.

Yeah one of my all time favourite shows but, no. There's about a dozen international versions. The NZ one is particularly good. The US one is godawful. 

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

There’s apparently 11 international versions currently. The New Zealand one is really good. I watched a bunch on YouTube last year. 

• Paid Members

Has anyone watched that new post-apocalyptic thing with Mackenzie Davis yet? I mean, I'm gonna watch it anyway because Mackenzie but it would be a nice bonus if it was good.

• Paid Members
On 3/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, Onyx2 said:

It's an interesting solution to the region-blocking issue; they're basically doing it because a load of their YouTube views come from the US, but they haven't been able to really break into that market through traditional means, because no channel was picking up the original series, and the US version was rubbish. There's absolutely no point getting it if you only want to watch the UK version, as it's all free on All4 anyway, but I think they've been pretty clear about that.

I've heard good things about the New Zealand version, and the Swedish version, which is properly massive prime time TV over there. I don't think I'd object to paying a few quid to binge watch a bunch of the international stuff, really. It will be interesting to see if they expand their offering beyond just a stockpile of old episodes and put bonus stuff up to make it worthwhile, or if any other shows attempt to follow the same model, which I agree would be a really bad precedent to set. That said, I don't understand how the licensing rights to something like this would work, given that the show presumably already exists on various other channels' streaming services in their respective countries?

• Paid Members

Been watching Fifteen Storeys High on iPlayer. Didn't quite get the first episode, but I see what it's doing now. Vince getting his home decor ideas from bingo pamphlets was brilliant, especially when he was discussing it with that model he's teaching to swim. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

if any other shows attempt to follow the same model

This is it. I adore Taskmaster and I applaud Alex Horne and his team for coming up with this creative way round geo blocking, but I'd be far less enthused about, TOWIE say or some other show I don't care about. We're a half step from pay-per-show which doesn't bear thinking about.