Just finished the first series of This Is Us. There’s an episode based in Memphis towards the end that absolutely broke me. 

The Milo code is Moustachioed>Bearded>Clean Shaven>Goatee. Fully redeemed for his crimes on Hero’s.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

My Ex has finally stopped me using her Netflix and sky app... 

I have prime and a Disney plus, what series would you recommend from them? I need some ideas! 

Atlanta and Mr Inbetween on D+. Nathan For You on Prime.

• Paid Members

I've been watching Pistol and it's awful. Absolutely awful, but almost wonderfully so.

I'm just so confused  at - and fascinated by - the portrayal of John Lydon as a hybrid caricature of Will from the Inbetweeners and Rick from the Young Ones and that Steve Jones actor channeling Danny Dyer's Doghouse character. Crackers, the lot of it. 

51 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I've been watching Pistol and it's awful. Absolutely awful, but almost wonderfully so.

I'm just so confused  at - and fascinated by - the portrayal of John Lydon as a hybrid caricature of Will from the Inbetweeners and Rick from the Young Ones and that Steve Jones actor channeling Danny Dyer's Doghouse character. Crackers, the lot of it. 

Yeah Lydon made it a watchable disaster for us. His portrayal was like a distillation of every English punk caricature and sketch you've ever seen rolled into one. Good, harmless, fast cut fun from the Danny Boyle who brought us The Beach and T2: Trainspotting .

Watched Avoidance, Romesh Ranganathans new sitcom on the iplayer. It's one of those ones where it's really good, without ever being great or laugh out loud.

It is well acted, well written and has Jessica Knappett in it, who is always brilliant. 

Also features one of my life long friends in a small part in episode 2 (he plays the VERY sweaty man in the gym) so that elevated it as well.

Then for reasons unknown I watched State Of The Union which is written by Nick Hornby and directed by Stephen Frears. It features Rosamund Pike and Chris O'Dowd as a couple who meet in the pub for 10 minutes every week before their marriage counselling session. 

It's probably the most middle class thing I've ever watched, but its decent and the episodes are in real time so short, and Pike has her big posho plummy voice and is gorgeous so there is that positive. O'Dowd isn't as annoying as he usually is either. 

Then I started Spiral the French police show, as I miss Braquo (the most underrated show ever) and heard this was similar, so far very bloody, brutal and French so tres bien.

Also, fuck yes: 

2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I know you like your Hornby, so you'd definitely love Fever Pitch more than all of his other stuff. Greatest story ever. 

I do enjoy that. Just read a really interesting interview with him in FourFourTwo as well.

I don't believe in 'guilty pleasures' as you like what you like and who cares, but if such a thing existed, he would be mine. He pisses all over Curtis for well written middle classness. 

• Paid Members
On 5/24/2022 at 11:58 AM, BomberPat said:

Threaten one character I care about, and I'll be more invested than "we have to save the world", because even the most ambitious TV writer is unlikely to destroy the Earth in the course of their episodic series.

Watching Stranger Things 4 at last and sufficient to say this take from just before the series went live, is probably the most succinct way of describing the brilliance of what I feel may become looked back upon as an iconic episode of TV for this generation.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mr_Danger said:

An improvement on the last two series I’d say.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:40 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Only up to episode 4 but I completely agree on it’s improvement over the last season (didn’t think 2 was that bad except the back door pilot) but hasn’t felt a slog despite the ridiculous run time of some episodes. 

I thought 2 was good but 3 suffered. Any time a story affecting a few characters gets expanded to include that old American favourite, the government cover up, I start to zone out, and there was too much crawling through ducts in a mall for me. This series has been a welcome return to focus (for the most part) on “kids vs monsters.”

On 6/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, SuperBacon said:

thought Sadie Sink was excellent in her focused episode

On 6/4/2022 at 10:52 AM, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve watched episode four if that’s the one? I’ve always liked Stranger Things but I thought episode four was stunning television.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, SuperBacon said:

That's the one. Superb TV.

On 6/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, Mr_Danger said:

I see Kate Bush is charting too!

On 6/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, PunkStep said:

Not going to read the other posts on here as we still have three episodes to go, but episode 4 of the latest Stranger Things is...well fucking hell. Sadie Sink is incredible in this. I'm a mess after that episode, emotions are all over the place. 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, MungoChutney said:

Dear Billy is the best single episode of Stranger Things across all four seasons.

Don’t want to say too much but suspension of disbelief is a big deal and I totally bought either potential outcome and was gripped throughout. Brilliant.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:44 PM, LaGoosh said:

Atlanta and Mr Inbetween on D+. Nathan For You on Prime.

Started watching Mr Inbetween last night and I really like it. Has the feeling of one of those late night tv shows you’d discover as a kid on BBC2 or Channel 4 (usually HBO or HBO adjacent). Checked what Ray had been in and seen he hasn’t done anything else. Guy looks like a cross between Scoot McNairy and Willem Dafoe but he’s got a lot of charisma.  Nice little role for professional Charles Manson actor too.