The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

Lord, give me the optimism of anyone thinking Nikki Cross’ new character has legs or will amount to anything simply because she pitched it. On Monday Night Raw, in the year twenty twenty one. Fair play to Nikki if just getting on TV is the end goal but let’s not pretend this is going anywhere other than south. No-one’s “up in arms,” but you’d also be mad to celebrate it on that basis alone. Hell, Shorty G got TV time.

It brings up a fun idea though. If you’re a chump currently languishing on Main Event then why not try and think of some daft, broad, debased, one-note bollocks gimmick that you know Vince will green light. More fool Drew Gulak for not mentioning in earshot of Vince that he can shit his pants on demand.

It reminds me of this clip. That’s clearly the game nowadays. It doesn’t matter what talents you have, it’s all about appealing to the tastes of a mentally deteriorating old man and saying something that makes him choke with laughter whilst eating his steak and ketchup.

But yeah, huge shout out to Peyton. Telling Vince McMahon that she’s boring and has nothing about her of interest. She may as well have just climbed into a bin.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

They're about to go back on the road, big daft babyface gimmicks are the bread and butter of house shows, it's great timing. R-Truth has kept himself in a job for years by being a good house show hype man.

I don't think I've really seen anyone complaining that it's "burying" Nikki, just an awful lot of people complaining about other, non-specified people complaining about it.

Edited by BomberPat

I don't think anyone is being particularly optimistic about it are they? If anything I think people are being overly cynical about it. She's come up with a fun babyface gimmick that'll probably pop some live crowds and possibly sell some merch. That's it. 

She's doing something she wants to do. Better that then get a shit gimmick handed to you or worse being yet another slightly cocky wrestler with a real sounding name. 

• Paid Members

My biggest issue with it so far is that it looks awful - if you wanna do a superhero thing because it'll pop the kids and sell merch you'd expect the design to be a lot more like modern Marvel in it's look, but everything about this feels dated. In 2021, when superheroes are part of mainstream pop culture, you shouldn't look less modern than The Hurricane.

The only people who seem upset about it are the ones who cry “just let them go out there and WRESTLE~!” any time one of there favourites gets given something a bit daft to do. The Twitter brigade like to think they’re oh so knowledgeable about the industry but they often forget that having a character is often far more important than having 20 minute matches. 
I haven’t watched RAW for years other than in highlight form online, and yeah it does look a bit cheap and naff, but it at least separates her a little from the other women. It’s also the first time they did it and it’s still only in front of the crowd of little tellies, whose to say that they can’t knock up a better costume by next week or whenever she’s next on TV or whenever it is they go back in front of fans? Which I think is only a couple of weeks away

21 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

The only people who seem upset about it are the ones who cry “just let them go out there and WRESTLE~!” any time one of there favourites gets given something a bit daft to do. The Twitter brigade like to think they’re oh so knowledgeable about the industry but they often forget that having a character is often far more important than having 20 minute matches. 

And this is exactly why a guy like Ricochet and ones similar to him struggle. Sure he can do some cool stuff but he's fucking awful as a character. It was always going to be his downfall.

For all the shit Riddle gets, at least he's got something going on that entertains some people. Ricochet mostly tries to get by flipping all over the place and telling people he's the best on Twitter. Not to say his booking couldn't be better but he does have his weaknesses in terms of mic skills etc.

Yep pretty much all WWE TV has been coasting for so long until fans return to live events. They aren't giving a crap. It's contractual obligation filling a TV slot with content for ages.

In terms of Nikki Cross I remember Nicola being such a lovely human. I remember when my gran was still alive and I lived with her for a bit Nicola and Damo lived in a flat in the southside in the next street to my gran. I'd often see her and Damo out and about as they were within walking distance from the Source school which at the time Damo ran. I often bumped into Nikki and she always stopped to say hi. She always had coffee in her hand which I see translated onto the main WWE roster when she was with Alexa Bliss. 

Anyways the superhero character she has created is a bit of fun for herself to enjoy what she does. If it angers the workrate perverts then fantastic. Be a superhero Nikki. Enjoy what you do. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

My biggest issue with it so far is that it looks awful - if you wanna do a superhero thing because it'll pop the kids and sell merch you'd expect the design to be a lot more like modern Marvel in it's look, but everything about this feels dated. In 2021, when superheroes are part of mainstream pop culture, you shouldn't look less modern than The Hurricane.

This is a good point. I’ve thought for the longest time that there should be loads of inspiration to take from the popularity of the MCU. The problem is that whenever they try and do superheroes of their own it loses all its coolness and the costuming always ends up looking like that Halloween episode of Wandavision, without the charm or irony.

0749440A-A2FB-4130-BCF7-B290D4EE04A3.thumb.jpeg.754bb7d12ba9a4699e0323e70f7cb9fe.jpeg

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm completely off in my judgement but I'm not even talking about like the build quality (I think in that case the suit looks fine it's just the mask that looks a bit shite) - but the design influences don't look inspired by anything modern you'd expect them to have familiarity with, more in line with what people in their 30's and 40's were reading as kids.