The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

@mim731somehow I keep forgetting everything gets signed off by Vince McMahon still so yeah the part you put in bold you're right on.

As for the first part, I just feel it's counter productive to have someone with so little interest in the product they work for that they can't even name their champion and theoretically, their lead character when doing an interview about their new writing job. It feels like it shows a unwillingness to research the job role and instead just been phoning in ideas and scripts with a little background information because they're a comedy writer hired to write for an entertainment show.

I'm definitely over thinking this, but I guess it's just an added frustration of the product at present for me when I've really been behind it for recent years.

• Paid Members
Just now, Shy Dad said:

@mim731somehow I keep forgetting everything gets signed off by Vince McMahon still so yeah the part you put in bold you're right on.

As for the first part, I just feel it's counter productive to have someone with so little interest in the product they work for that they can't even name their champion and theoretically, their lead character when doing an interview about their new writing job. It feels like it shows a unwillingness to research the job role and instead just been phoning in ideas and scripts with a little background information because they're a comedy writer hired to write for an entertainment show.

I'm definitely over thinking this, but I guess it's just an added frustration of the product at present for me when I've really been behind it for recent years.

That makes sense, and I understand that frustration. I feel like I am willing them to produce something better simply because of the array of talent they have available to them. I suppose my only thought, perhaps rather optimistically, is that they are trying to bring in writers without the baggage of traditional "wrestling" storylines ingrained in their mindset and offer something more universal and genuinely better that incorporates new, less traditional perspectives. 

• Paid Members

nothing wrong with having TV writers with minimal knowledge. I doubt people hired to work on soap operas and sitcoms are expected to know the ins and outs of the history of each character either, so long as they have experience of writing TV. I imagine it's much easier to teach someone with TV experience how wrestling works than to teach someone with wrestling booking experience how to write for TV with strict time constraints and so on.

It's not like she's writing the show single-handedly. She's one voice among many, and in a lot of ways a female, non-white, voice from outside the wrestling bubble is a positive gain for them. But they would have to fundamentally change how their shows are written and produced for those gains to manifest in any meaningful way, particular when the writers who are from inside the wrestling bubble have been there for decades themselves.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It probably speaks volumes that they’ve just announced their first UK dates in nearly 2 years and no-one seems to give a shit

I've seen a pretty positive response on social media. But I know my mates are pretty similar to me in that we're quite wary about planning to go to events at the moment. Still not quite there yet. I can't imagine we're the only ones.

• Paid Members

The outrage over that writer admitting she wasn’t a fan is absolutely mad. Even worse now seeing people celebrating her getting fired. Nutters, the lot of them.

Honestly, the amount of shit takes and awful suggestions for improving the product that I see online, I’d almost always hire a non-fan as a writer. That’s half the excitement about the rumoured sale for me. Seeing someone run the gaff who hasn’t been indoctrinated by fifteen plus years of watching the same TV show doing the same thing every single week.

Imagine watching Raw or Smackdown and thinking, “do you know what this show needs? More people in the bubble.”

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Seeing someone run the gaff who hasn’t been indoctrinated by fifteen plus years of watching the same TV show doing the same thing every single week.

Not joking either. Top Rope Nation are doing One Night Stand 2006 for their classic show so I dug it out. They show footage from the go-home Raw with the big brawl in brand T-Shirts. That's 15 years ago. How many times since have we seen that exact build to a Survivor Series or Bragging Rights or whatever. Just so many tropes they turn to over and over and over.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

The outrage over that writer admitting she wasn’t a fan is absolutely mad. Even worse now seeing people celebrating her getting fired. Nutters, the lot of them.

Honestly, the amount of shit takes and awful suggestions for improving the product that I see online, I’d almost always hire a non-fan as a writer. That’s half the excitement about the rumoured sale for me. Seeing someone run the gaff who hasn’t been indoctrinated by fifteen plus years of watching the same TV show doing the same thing every single week.

Imagine watching Raw or Smackdown thinking, “do you know what this show needs? More people in the bubble.”

I broadly agree with what you’re saying - diversity in a writing room is clearly a good thing, as is the practise of hiring people from ‘outside the bubble’ - but I would still suggest the podcast interview was at the very least ill advised.

Saying she’d feel ‘bad’ if she got beaten up by someone who looked like Scotty 2 Hotty (who works at the performance centre now), saying she’d been asked if she was ‘diminishing her dignity’ by working for WWE, and even the Lashley/Ashley thing - I can’t imagine that words wouldn’t be had with you at any place of employment, had you made comments like that in a public forum. 

Having said that, celebrating someone losing their job under these circumstances is a really odd (and pathetic) thing to do.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Not joking either. Top Rope Nation are doing One Night Stand 2006 for their classic show so I dug it out. They show footage from the go-home Raw with the big brawl in brand T-Shirts. That's 15 years ago. How many times since have we seen that exact build to a Survivor Series or Bragging Rights or whatever. Just so many tropes they turn to over and over and over.

You can go even further back than that, these "big brawls in brand t-shirts" are an extension of the old Nitro finish where the nWo would pile out of the locker room, followed by a load of WCW guys and security guys, then Schiavone screams "FANS, WE ARE OUT OF TIME. ITS STIIIIIIIIIING!" as Sting starts rappelling down from the rafters. 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Supremo said:

Honestly, the amount of shit takes and awful suggestions for improving the product that I see online, I’d almost always hire a non-fan as a writer.

Just to further hammer this point home. The actual state of this.

58 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Just to further hammer this point home. The actual state of this.

This kind of booking always gets heads shaking.

“Lesnar eventually returns” - care to elaborate on when that might be? 
“Lesnar regains the WWE title” - got plans for the TV time required to build that match? 
“New Day jump him from behind and triple team him so bad that he can’t fight back” - so you’re turning Big E (and by extension New Day) heel, because that sure as fuck isn’t how you book a face
And what are you doing with Big E between winning MITB and this unspecified time of Lesnar’s return?

And who the fuck is Ryan Satin anyway?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

And who the fuck is Ryan Satin anyway?

He’s the reporter they hired for that Backstage show on Fox, where he broke loads of news. Lad was fucking paid to follow and cover this stuff and that’s what goes on in his head. The bar literally couldn’t be lower.

But yeah - Ryan’s the perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect that’s rampant in the hardcore fanbase. He’s king of the entitled Twitter morons. Convinced that just because they’ve watched wrestling for years that they’re an expert and understand what works. Crowning Big E as the new top babyface by having him sneak attack the champion three-on-one and steal the championship. Fucking hell.

I can never figure out if pro-wrestling by its nature just attracts that type of person, absolutely oblivious to their own stupidity, or if watching badly-written wrestling for years on end is the root cause. Is Vince Russo to blame? Or are they a bunch of a Vinny Ru’s themselves?

Either way though, give me a non-fan with experience writing the most basic of stories any day of the week. They can learn Bobby Lashley’s name after the fact, whereas these gatekeeping freaks celebrating a woman losing her job are clearly a lost cause.

Edited by Supremo