Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

The Odyssey was a lot more intense than I was expecting and definitely super creepy in places but that made it all the more enjoyable for me. Didn't need to be as long as it was but really good performances all round, visually stunning in IMAX and the score really ramped up the tension. Really needed a wee after though.

Posted
2 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I saw Mike Bassett England Manager was on Amazon Prime, so thought I'd give it a watch. Ricky Tomlinson is great in it. Bradley Walsh is Bradley Walsh. It's an entertaining enough way to kill an hour and a half. You can see some of the gags coming a mile off, but they're still done well enough that it's entertaining. 

Ricky has two of the best scenes in it, the foul mouthed rant at the squad at half time against Mexico which does nothing to change the game and the Kipling poem in the press conference that ends with him telling the press where to go on his tactics 

Posted
8 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

I saw Mike Bassett England Manager was on Amazon Prime, so thought I'd give it a watch. Ricky Tomlinson is great in it. Bradley Walsh is Bradley Walsh. It's an entertaining enough way to kill an hour and a half. You can see some of the gags coming a mile off, but they're still done well enough that it's entertaining. 

It is hilarious. They also did a tv series Mike Bassett which you can find on YouTube and it is nearly as funny as the film.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Marty Supreme. 

Absolute fucking shit. Timmy Chalomeet is not attractive, and as a character he was a horrible cunt. Not sure why we would be rooting for him at the end. Also all the female characters' interests were all just fucking Timmy. Just crap, and far too long for how shit it was. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah, utter garbage.

We saw it at the cinema with our free tickets and was very glad I didn't pay for it. Just a load of disparate plotlines that annoyingly never resolved.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Not sure why we would be rooting for him at the end.

You're not meant to, it's not a hero's tale. Marty is the joke, it's all about the absurdity of the lengths he's going to for a game which is ultimately pointless and all about his own fragile ego. The last part is pure farce.

Posted

Yeah nothing about the movie suggested to me you were meant to like him or anything. He's obviously a nasty little shit who's fucked up because of his own selfishness.

  • Paid Members
Posted

You're not meant to like him, no, and they were clear about that. I still didn't like it though and the Safdies have proven conclusively they have one idea and they're not shifting from it.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Although I didn't see it in IMAX (as Nolan intended) I thought that The Odyssey was very good and the diabolical online discourse about the casting can get in the bin.  An absolute shift by Damon.

I do feel like Ulysses 31 needs a rewatch now.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

 

I do feel like Ulysses 31 needs a rewatch now.

 

Ha, I'm doing exactly that.

"No one else can do the things you do-oo"

Edited by gmoney
  • Paid Members
Posted

Doom Asylum

I don't think I've already mentioned watching this one. It was shit. The most surprising thing is that it wasn't Italian; it really has the vibe of a low-budget Italian slasher, where nobody acts like a real human being because they're delivering dialogue written in someone's second language, being directed by someone who barely speaks English so can't recognise a good take. 

It's late '80s, bloke and his girlfriend get in a car accident. The bloke wakes up in the morgue and kills the medical examiners. His face is really disfigured and all exposed muscle, despite not looking remotely like that after the accident. Ten years later, a group of teenagers go to an abandoned asylum for reasons that are never clear, and a female punk band are rehearsing there. One of the teenagers is the daughter of the killer's dead girlfriend - is she his daughter? Not clear, never really explored at all. Oh, for some reason the disfigured killer now lives in the abandoned asylum. Why? Who knows. He spends most of his time there watching TV, so they can pad out the run-time (79 minutes) with extended clips of public domain TV and movie footage. The jokes aren't funny, the horror isn't scary, and the premise is hopelessly cobbled together. Shit.

 

Pacific Heights

Forgotten 1990 thriller that knocked Goodfellas off the top spot on release. Matthew Modine and Melanie Griffith buy a massive house in San Francisco that they can't really afford, and have to sub-let two apartments downstairs to make the rent. Psychopath Michael Keaton rents one of them, and immediately begins either being weird or outright terrorising the couple, antagonising Modine into acting against him so the authorities consistently take Keaton's side.

I don't know how this played in 1990, but in 2026 it's difficult to have sympathy for the yuppy couple who, when we first meet them, are advised that it's not a good idea to buy the house, who then do buy the house, and for Modine who is practically as mental as Keaton - he constantly snaps at his wife over everything, is racist about one of their prospective tenants, and is so easily manipulated into doing everything Keaton wants him to that he just comes out as completely unlikeable. 

Roughly halfway through, it forgets what movie it is, and has Griffith creeping around following Keaton trying to figure out his history and what he's up to, and it was never particularly clear what he was actually trying to do. Completely lost its way at that point, because it stopped being what it should have been - a claustrophobic thriller about being terrorised in your own home and having nowhere to turn - and became a half-arsed detective story, and lost any sight of where the tension was supposed to be coming from. 

I was amazed this came out before the Cape Fear remake, as it all feels budget Max Cady. The film can't work out whether he's this master manipulator genius criminal undetectably committing white collar crime before disappearing into the night, expertly turning people's fears and worst instincts against them, or if he's a cartoon supervillain - in one scene he's a Catch Me If You Can charming con artist, but in the next he's staring blankly into space playing with a razorblade and cockroaches, or sitting in his car smoking and staring at the girlfriend character, constantly drawing attention to the fact that he's a weird freak. It doesn't really work for your villain to be both. 

I'll buy a pint for anyone who can satisfactorily explain what Matthew Modine's job is actually supposed to be in this.

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 hours ago, gmoney said:

Ha, I'm doing exactly that.

"No one else can do the things you do-oo"

Amazing show. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 7/19/2026 at 10:44 PM, DavidB6937 said:

Really needed a wee after though.

THIS. Hotfooted it out of the screen as soon as I saw "By Christopher Nolan" to join the queue of 20 other men desperate to wee. 

Saw it on a local monster screen that-isnt-IMAX-but-lets-brand-it-IMAX anyway. It really deserves a big screen viewing. Once I saw them following a sheep I had sudden flashbacks to GCSE Classical Civilisation and dug my fingernails into my knee. I wasn't disappointed. 

Posted
12 hours ago, BomberPat said:

 

 

Pacific Heights

Forgotten 1990 thriller that knocked Goodfellas off the top spot on release.

Felt like every other film in the 90’s was cut from this cloth. Sleeping With The Enemy, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Single White Female, Cape Fear, Fear. The 90’s was a big decade for the secretly crazy person thriller genre.

Posted (edited)

Masters of the Universe (Prime)

As this is distributed by Amazon MGM, it’s on Prime already only 7 weeks after its cinematic release.

Very enjoyable for the most part. While it stays just about on the right side of silly, the comedy quality varies throughout. They are some very good laughs, as well as some comedy that seems very forced. As I’ve not seen the show since I was a kid, there was probably a lot of fan service/references to things that I’ve either forgotten about or just plain don’t know, but it did a decent enough job of setting everyone up and their respective roles.

Probably the biggest none shock of the entire film was that Jared Leto was bloody awful as Skeletor. If you’re going to try and be silly Skeletor, you need to ham it up and have a laugh with it, something which Leto didn’t do here. His voice isn’t as daft as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but it’s also not daft enough to get any giggles. 
I really enjoyed the score throughout it, although there was one recurring theme that sounded like ‘We Are Sailing’ by Rod Stewart which took the edge off of things slightly 

As this has been a box office disaster ($114m worldwide to date against a $170m production budget) the post credit scenes hinting at a sequel that definitely won’t be happening ended up being their own type of funny, which is a shame as I did enjoy it and it probably did deserve to do better, but what do you expect to happen if something goes from cinema to home viewing in under 2 months.
Its far too long as well (2hrs 24mins). There’s a sequence in the middle of the film that goes on way too long, as does the final act

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...