Merzbow Posted June 26 Posted June 26 Carolina Caroline I didn't care so much for the quality when it's Samara Weaving and Kyle Gallner starring, they could have done anything together and I'd watch but this is a genuinrly good little film. It's not about to win any awards but it takes the Bonnie & Clyde formula, adds the hottest people alive and a surprising amount of heart and sweetness to the bank robbing mix. I Love Boosters Where to even start? It's a miracle this has even gotten made as such a bluntly Marxist piece of art with a genuine goal to push class solidarity. It's also one of the best looking and funny films I've watched in a long time, I still prefer Boot's other film Sorry To Bother You on the whole but can see this resonating far more as it's much more accessible while still being surreal as fuck, I can't even single out a performance as everyone nails it. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 26 Posted June 26 14 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Carolina Caroline I didn't care so much for the quality when it's Samara Weaving and Kyle Gallner starring, they could have done anything together and I'd watch but this is a genuinrly good little film. It's not about to win any awards but it takes the Bonnie & Clyde formula, adds the hottest people alive and a surprising amount of heart and sweetness to the bank robbing mix. Did it come out in the cinema? I feel like I missed it. Quote
Merzbow Posted June 26 Posted June 26 1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said: Did it come out in the cinema? I feel like I missed it. I don't think so, looks like it was straight to digital. It's on NOW TV but I got a dodgy copy. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 26 Posted June 26 7 minutes ago, Merzbow said: I don't think so, looks like it was straight to digital. It's on NOW TV but I got a dodgy copy. Ah thank you, been looking out for it for a while. Love both of them. I'll definitely find it.. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 26 Posted June 26 Double post but who cares. So I went super off horror when my kids were born for some reason so like 10 years ago. But after watching Obsession and Backrooms I've got a taste for it again. I think the only others I've seen recently are the Ready or Not ones, Send Help and They Will Kill You. So what have I missed? Would love some recommendations. Probably anything 2015 or later. Quote
Merzbow Posted June 26 Posted June 26 (edited) Maybe not all conventional horror but I thought 2024 was a very high year for it even outside of the big hyped films like Longlegs and The Substance, personal favourites included Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person, Strange Darling, Red Rooms, I Saw the TV Glow, In a Violent Nature and Oddity. Edited June 26 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted June 26 Paid Members Posted June 26 41 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said: Double post but who cares. So I went super off horror when my kids were born for some reason so like 10 years ago. But after watching Obsession and Backrooms I've got a taste for it again. I think the only others I've seen recently are the Ready or Not ones, Send Help and They Will Kill You. So what have I missed? Would love some recommendations. Probably anything 2015 or later. I second all the ones @Merzbow listed. Sinners, Weapons, It Follows, Noseferatu and Titane are essential too. Dangerous Animals, Primate, The Monkey, Companion, The Gorge, Heretic, Under Paris, Abigail, Sting, Lisa Frankenstein, No-One Will Save You, Talk to Me and Megan are all a great time, too. But there are loads more and I've not even listed the foreign language arthouse ones I love. Quote
Merzbow Posted June 26 Posted June 26 6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Titane are essential I'd add Julia's other two films Raw and Alpha, I think I liked them a bit more than you but I also feel like shes one of those directors where all her films are important to each other. Quote
TheHighlightReel Posted June 26 Posted June 26 When Evil Lurks, Barbarian, Aterrados, Hell House LLC, The Sadness, The Dark And The Wicked all ones I’ve enjoyed from the last decade that I don’t think have been mentioned yet. Quote
Paid Members Chris B Posted June 26 Paid Members Posted June 26 1 hour ago, TheHighlightReel said: The Sadness, Watched this last night and good fucking lord. It's basically The Crossed and was impressively nasty (and smart in places). Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted June 26 Paid Members Posted June 26 Yeah, The Sadness is one for the whole family! Really good. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted June 27 Paid Members Posted June 27 (edited) Lots of good recommendations (and also some absolute shite). I'd start with - It Follows, Talk To Me, Weapons, Sinners and Nosferatu - as a good mix of modern horror and a guaranteed good time and take it from there. Edited June 27 by LaGoosh Quote
DavidB6937 Posted June 27 Posted June 27 Sinners! Shame on me for forgetting I'd seen that. Everything else is going on the list where I'll have fun trying to work out which of the bazillion streaming services to use. Thanks everyone! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted June 27 Paid Members Posted June 27 (edited) I was looking down my Letterboxd ratings and these are the horror films, since 2015, I gave 3.5 stars or more to. 2015: 4.5: Green Room, The Witch / 4: The Nightmare (superb weird German film), The Blackcoat's Daughter, Bone Tomahawk, The Final Girls / 3.5: Into the Grizzly Maze, I Am Not a Hero (good little Japanese zombie film), They Look Like People, Ava's Possessions, The Devil's Candy 2016: 4.5: Creepy (but I am a Kiyoshi Kurosawa mark), The Untamed (very weird Mexican arthouse live action hentai) / 4: Under the Shadow (Iranian haunted house film), Train to Busan, Morgan (nobody liked this but me) / 3.5: I Am Not a Serial Killer, Another Evil, The Girl with All the Gifts, Ouija: Origin of Evil, The Wailing (Korean and extremely long), Hush (the Mike Flanagan one) 2017: 4.5: Get Out, One Cut of the Dead (ingenious Japanese zombie film), Hagazussa (extremely depressing Austrian folk horror - a lot like The Witch though) / 4: November (Estonian folk horror!), The Cured, Mayhem (the Samara Weaving one), The Babysitter / 3.5: Ravenous (Quebecois horror!), Happy Death Day, Double Date, Cult of Chucky 2018: 4.5: Possum, In Fabric (these two are both hugely underseen), Annihilation / 4: The Perfection, Cam, Overlord, Halloween, The Domestics, The Meg!, Hereditary / 3.5: The Dead Center, Luz (another weirdo German one), Hell Fest, The Pool (Thai horror about a couple trapped in an empty pool by a massive crocodile), The Night Eats the World (French zombie film), Goosebumps 2 (no, really), The House with the Clock in its Walls, A Quiet Place 2019: 5: Us / 4.5: Saint Maud, La Llarona (Guatemalan!), The Lighthouse / 4: Doctor Sleep, Extra Ordinary, Ready or Not, Crawl, Happy Death Day 2 U / 3.5: Impetigore (Indonesian), The Deeper You Dig, Blood Vessel, Villains, Little Monsters, Sea Fever, Color Out of Space, Zombieland: Double Tap, Child's Play, Ma 2020: 4.5: The Invisible Man / 4: Kill It and Leave This Town (animated Polish horror), A Quiet Place: Part Two, Lucky, The Stylist, Shadow in the Cloud, Run, Possessor, Alone / 3.5: My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It To, The Last Matinee (Uruguayan slasher), A Ghost Waits, Boys from County Hell, Hunter Hunter, Come True, Freaky, Unhinged, The Block Island Sound, Black Box, His House, Vampires vs. the Bronx, #Alive (Korean zombie film), Gretel & Hansel, Sputnik (Russian sci-fi horror), Relic 2021: 4.5: Saloum (Senegalese horror-thriller), The Medium (Thai found footage), Censor / 4: Medusa (Portuguese horror), Hellbender, The Feast (Welsh language!), We're All Going to the World's Fair, The Sadness (as mentioned above), The Grandmother (Spanish haunted house), Titane, The Trip (Norwegian horror-comedy - just been remade as Over Your Dead Body), Lamb (surreal Icelandic black comedy horror), Malignant / 3.5: The Cursed, Antlers, You Are Not My Mother, Knocking (Swedish psychological horror), Coming Home in the Dark, Blood Red Sky, Werewolves Within, Oxygen 2022: 4: Huesera: The Bone Woman (Spanish body horror), You Won't Be Alone (Macedonian folk horror!), Sick, Talk to Me, M3GAN, The Menu, Watcher, Barbarian, Flux Gourmet, Deadstream, Hatching (Finnish black comedy body horror), Nope / 3.5: We Might Hurt Each Other (Lithuanian slasher!), Baby Ruby, Day Shift, Incantation (Taiwanese found footage), Sissy, Master 2023: 4.5: Strange Darling / 4: Humanist Vampire Seeking Consenting Suicidal Person (French-Canadian coming-of-age black comedy horror), Birth/Rebirth. Sleep (Korean), When Evil Lurks (Argentinian foilk horror), No-One Will Save You / 3.5: Vermines (French spider invasion horror), Totally Killer, The Conference (Swedish slasher comedy), The Pope's Exorcist, The Meg 2! 2024: 4.5: Longlegs, I Saw the TV Glow, Nosferatu / 4: We Bury the Dead, Dead Talents Society (Taiwanese horror comedy), A Desert, The Devil's Bath (another depressing Austrian folk horror), Lisa Frankenstein, Chime (Japanese and Kiyoshi Kurosawa again), Oddity, Heretic, The Substance, Abigail, Exhuma (Korean folk horror), Strange Harvest / 3.5: Presence, Seeds, Your Monster, In a Violent Nature, Under Paris, Cuckoo, A Quiet Place: Day One, Sting 2025: 4.5: Weapons / 4: Obsession, Exit 8 (Japanese timeloop film based on the game), The Virgin of the Quarry Lake (Spanish thriller), Hallow Road, Companion, Sinners / 3.5: Primitive War, Primate, Alpha, The Long Walk, Beast of War, Keeper, Together, Dangerous Animals, Wolf Man, The Monkey 2026: 4: Backrooms, Send Help / 3.5: Hokum Edited June 27 by Devon Malcolm william prunier Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.