Paid Members Chris B Posted June 29 Paid Members Posted June 29 Electric Boogaloo is on YouTube, btw: Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted June 29 Paid Members Posted June 29 On 6/28/2026 at 8:17 PM, Supremo said: Might finish the trilogy and watch Superman 4. I thought, is this as bad as I remember it from watching it as a kid? I stuck it on tonight to discover that, no, it's probably worse. I always found Reeve's Superman a bit twee, but at least he was sincere in the OG Trilogy. It feels like he lost interest in this after the opening scene. Some of the sfx would have looked wank in the 1930s let alone after we all believed that a man could fly. Some good did come out of it. There's a fun article from the BBC about how Milton Keynes stood in for New York/Metropolis. Now it's obviously not New York, but I wouldn't have twigged that some of it was Argos' head office https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn5k65r7nvxo https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-36881560 The video mentioned in the second article where people recreate scenes in the MK locations is infinitely more fun than the actual film. It warms my heart that the venues were up for it at the time. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted July 3 Paid Members Posted July 3 I can't remember the last time a film completely lost me in the third act as much as Backrooms did. I would've much preferred an entire film of found footage, with them exploring. All that stuff was amazing. Super gripping and engaging. Not so much when it turned into Stranger Things and tried to be a psychodrama. The more they tried to explain the unexplainable, the less satisfying it became. They shouldn't have bothered. I've since watched a few of Kane Parson's shorts on YouTube and it's very much the same. Found footage is endlessly fascinating, but the moment he tries to add lore the more I can't be bothered. Just show me more weird shit. By contrast, Obsession was an absolute fucking blast from the first second to the very last. It took me so long to catch this, I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but am happy to report it's as great as everyone says. The actress who played Nikki should rightly become a huge star after this. I'm still terrified days later. Best film I've seen all year. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted July 3 Paid Members Posted July 3 1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said: Project Hail Mary. Second viewing. Cried. Again. Just an FYI it’s now streaming on Amazon Prime instead of just MGM+ (no, I’d never heard of it either). Now more of you can experience one of this years movie highlights. Oh and The Sheep Detectives is on their too. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 4 Posted July 4 Minions and Monsters was far better than I expected. All the old school Hollywood references were a real joy and obviously completely missed by all the kids. A great family movie. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted July 4 Paid Members Posted July 4 1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said: Minions and Monsters was far better than I expected. All the old school Hollywood references were a real joy and obviously completely missed by all the kids. A great family movie. Absolutely loved it, kept me laughing all the way to, and during, the credits. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted July 5 Posted July 5 Haven't been watching any films since being diagnosed with World Cup Fever, but I managed to get a few in recently... Teenage Bonnie & Klepto Clyde Early 90s indie version of Bonnie and Clyde. Low-budget, not exactly great, but enough good stuff in there to keep you engaged for however many minutes. The two leads at least have decent chemistry. A typical Tubi watch. Miss Congeniality My wife wanted to watch this and then proceeded to fall asleep about half an hour into it. Cannot confirm whether or not I watched the rest of the film because I was actually enjoying it, mind. Also cannot confirm whether or not there are plans to one day watch the sequel. The Fan The 1996 Tony Scott baseball thriller one with De Niro and Wesley Snipes. I expected this to be better and the very mid-90s editing and soundtrack started to get on my nerves, but this was entertaining nonsense and De Niro plays a brilliant asshole/psychopath. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 6 Posted July 6 A couple I missed out on at the cinema: Mother Mary Really didn't get on with this one which is disappointing considering it's mostly Anne Hathaway and Michaela Coel. It just didn't click for me. Felt like it would've been better suited to a stage and tightened up a bit. Somewhat like a mishmash of ideas that didn't quite come together in any way. The dialogue and relationship never felt genuine or something I was invested in. I don't know. It just never grabbed me to the point where I was clock watching and just wanting it to be over. There's a good idea in there somewhere but it almost felt a bit too pretentious in its presentation as if it thought it was cleverer than it was. Hokum In stark contrast to the above, this had me from start to finish completely. Absolutely loved everything about it. I know the jump scare style of horror isn't to everyone's tastes but some of the most fun for me is knowing something's coming but not quite when or what. I'm not sure it necessarily needed the backstory as it didn't particularly feel like it added a massive amount from a psychological perspective and it would've easily worked just as scarily without it, but I can't complain too much. I loved the cinematography, the sound design and score, and just the general setting of it all. They did a lot with so little. And obviously I love Adam Scott so that made it even better, although there's so much to love about the movie beyond him. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 7 Members Posted July 7 On 7/5/2026 at 9:01 AM, SaitoRyo said: The Fan The 1996 Tony Scott baseball thriller one with De Niro and Wesley Snipes. I expected this to be better and the very mid-90s editing and soundtrack started to get on my nerves, but this was entertaining nonsense and De Niro plays a brilliant asshole/psychopath. I rewatched this and loved it again. I saw it in the cinema with my old man when it came out and me and him love our mid 90s mid budget thrillers of the time (your Daylights, your Vertical Limits, your Copycats) De Niro and Snipes are on top form, and always have time for Ellen Barkin. I also watched Little Brother which is the new John Cena and Eric Andre film. Both people I very much enjoy, and this is 5/10 Netflix shit if you want something on in the background. They give Cena a very NXT name, Rudd Landy, and both him and Andre are good, but it's not funny enough or weird enough in that The Cable Guy vein they're going for. If you ever wanted to see (small spoiler) Spoiler What Cenas face would be like if he was rimmed by Michelle Monahan, this is for you. I get it though, she's well fit. Quote
SaitoRyo Posted July 7 Posted July 7 3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: De Niro and Snipes are on top form, and always have time for Ellen Barkin. Agree with all of this and it wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping given who was in it and who directed. I read that Tony Scott had already signed on to do Enemy of the State and basically used The Fan as something to experiment with new editing and visual styles. I wish he hadn't. I really do miss the days of the mid-budget 90s thriller, mind. Quote
Paid Members Gus Mears Posted July 8 Paid Members Posted July 8 Enola Holmes 3. God, what a load of shite this was. Thought the first two were passable. Even in the context of Holmes media, which is mostly terrible, this interpretation of Moriarty was breathtakingly awful and acted like bad panto. Helena Bonham Carter player the same shit character she's played in everything since Harry Potter. The laziest actress on earth. Henry Cavill got paid millions of quid to sit on his arse and murmur occasionally (good on him, still somehow less lazy than Bonham-Carter). There's a Maltese guerilla fighter character who might genuinely be the most pointless character in any form of recorded media. This felt like it went on longer than my marriage did and I think I actually preferred my marriage. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted July 8 Posted July 8 1 hour ago, Gus Mears said: Enola Holmes 3. God, what a load of shite this was. Thought the first two were passable. Even in the context of Holmes media, which is mostly terrible, this interpretation of Moriarty was breathtakingly awful and acted like bad panto. Helena Bonham Carter player the same shit character she's played in everything since Harry Potter. The laziest actress on earth. Henry Cavill got paid millions of quid to sit on his arse and murmur occasionally (good on him, still somehow less lazy than Bonham-Carter). There's a Maltese guerilla fighter character who might genuinely be the most pointless character in any form of recorded media. This felt like it went on longer than my marriage did and I think I actually preferred my marriage. Just looked this movie up. Written by Jack Thorne and directed by Philip Barantini (as well as the cinematographer) who made Adolescence and Boiling Point. What a strange left turn after those two TV shows/movies. Quote
Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz Posted July 8 Posted July 8 On 7/5/2026 at 9:01 AM, SaitoRyo said: The Fan The 1996 Tony Scott baseball thriller one with De Niro and Wesley Snipes. I expected this to be better and the very mid-90s editing and soundtrack started to get on my nerves, but this was entertaining nonsense and De Niro plays a brilliant asshole/psychopath. I remember watching The Fan when it premiered on SKY Movies, loved it back then, not seen it for years. DeNiro was probably at his most scariest since Cape Fear I’m actually going to rewatch it at weekend Quote
Paid Members John Matrix Posted July 9 Paid Members Posted July 9 Glad to see some love for The Fan in here. Absolute belter and boasts the greatest end credits song of all time by Terence Trent D’Arby. “It was little league, we were 12 years old” Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.