Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
5 hours ago, mim731 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiMn2ige-9gFO3zF6omf_

I saw MOTU at the pictures and we left pretty quickly after for my dad to buy me a figure from Woolworths. Then it came out on a video months later and my mom hired it for my mate and I to watch. I went for a shit as soon as the credits rolled and minutes later heard my mate shouting "COME BACK DOWNSTAIRS!" while my mom stopped the video and rewound it a bit so we could see this secret ending.

And I wiped first.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just watched the new Masters Of The Universe. Jared Leto was pretty terrible. If Tim Curry had been well enough he'd have been great doing the voice while somebody else did the physical side. I like how it evoked the feel of the TV show. It tried to be a bit too clever for its own good in places, I think but definitely just felt like a two and a quarter hour build to the ten minute nostalgia fest at the end. 

Spoiler

The Dolph Lundgren cameo was fun. 

There's a live action She-Ra show and possibly movie in the works, which is why she turned up in the mid credits scene

It had its moments. I think the Kevin Smith series and Princesses Of Power were better, but it was an enjoyable enough romp. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm still thinking about the pigs.

I can't believe that it was all done with VFX rather than CGI. It was so gross

Posted

It was interesting as well that they had Samantha Morton play Circe as she's gotten to that age where she still resembles how she looked when she was in Band of Gold and Cracker and the like but also has could fit in with little work as one of the witches from Polanski's Macbeth. Totally believable as this troubled but malicious witch.

Posted

Watched The Long Walk again last night as I hadn't seen it since the cinema. Wasn't really sure what I was in the mood for. Simple but really effective.

Obviously the world was trying to tell me something as they then announced David Jonsson as the new Black Panther. I won't clog this topic up too much with comic book stuff but what an incredible opportunity for the guy and a real recognition of his talent. I'm really happy for him. Just hope he still gets a chance to do some other projects as he has a great range.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Odyssey

I mostly liked it. The main issues were it was just a tad too long, the ending fight was pretty silly and Tom Holland is an absolutely fucking shite actor who actively dragged the film down every time he was in it. Anne Hathaway was brilliant in it I thought. Some of the sequences were film making at its finest - the cyclops scene in particular was as good as film gets. I saw it in an IMAX and the scale of the thing was incredible. Sound design and score also top notch. Every aspect of film making was the height of the profession, you can't see a single crack in this film.

However I find with Christopher Nolan's films there's always a bit of a disconnect. I enjoy them and deeply admire the craft of his films but they never really truly engage me emotionally. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I watched Duel on Prime yesterday. Really enjoyed it. The way you only ever see the truck driver's arms and feet so briefly. Watching Dennis Weaver becoming more and more unhinged as the movie goes on. 

I didn't realise that they'd used some of the footage from it in the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk series. Spielberg saw it, and immediately added a clause into future contracts that prevented that from happening again. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

I watched Duel on Prime yesterday. Really enjoyed it. The way you only ever see the truck driver's arms and feet so briefly. Watching Dennis Weaver becoming more and more unhinged as the movie goes on. 

I didn't realise that they'd used some of the footage from it in the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk series. Spielberg saw it, and immediately added a clause into future contracts that prevented that from happening again. 

How did WWF get away with footage from Lost World: Jurassic Park being in DX’s Tron video if that were the case? Or do we reckon Steve just couldn’t be arsed to pursue it

Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

How did WWF get away with footage from Lost World: Jurassic Park being in DX’s Tron video if that were the case? Or do we reckon Steve just couldn’t be arsed to pursue it

Spielberg is actually a massive HHH fan. That's why Paul refers to himself as "the Spielberg of wrestling" and calls everything cinema.

Steve actually shares a lot with HHH. In response to some of the critics of Schindlers List SS was quoted as saying "people should just have fun with it."

Also little known fact - the game that HHH built his persona around was the 1993 SNES version of Jurassic Park. Edge magazine described it as "with slightly improved game design it could have been the best." Ironically a quote Edge the wrestler would use about Hunter in later years.

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Steve actually shares a lot with HHH. In response to some of the critics of Schindlers List SS was quoted as saying "people should just have fun with it."

“Spielberg loves to have fun!”

Posted

Just watched Dead To Rights (2025) and wow, what a harrowing and unflinching depiction of Japan's massacre of Nanjing. It's from the perspective of Chinese civilians who managed to find ways to survive, be it hiding or becoming a traitor or the main character who ends up developing photos despite previously having no knowledge of it. 

Not an easy watch but it is a very impressive modern Chinese film, took a few minutes to get used to it being 60 frames per second though.

Posted

Her Private Hell might just be one of the worst films I've ever watched, it's like the worlds biggest fucking idiot has been handed a bunch of money and great actors then decided to try and make a David Lynch dream logic film mixed in with the camp of Showgirls but zero of the charm. It's ugly too, some of the sets look nice but it's filmed like a cheap perfume advert which I'm sure some sycophants will try to say is the point, somethign about hollywood being vapid or whatever.

Posted

The Dink 

Kind of like Happy Gilmore, but with pickleball. Jake Johnson does his best to carry this movie with his Poundshop Kenny Powers from Eastbound & Down, but it doesn't really raise more than a couple of chuckles. Fair play to him though - Mary Steenburgen and Ed Harris couldn't have put less effort in if they tried. Surprisingly good turn from Andy Roddick too in his cameo. 

It's fine for a straight-to-streaming comedy.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Royal Tenenbaums - I still don't know whether I like Wes Anderson films or not, but it wasn't bad. Beautiful shots etc. 

 

Footloose - absolute nonsense but somewhat enjoyable. Hardest thing to believe was that Kevin Bacon was considered attractive.

 

Nightcrawler - holy shit what a film. Very well done, and the scene(s) around the Chinese restaurant were some of the most tense scenes I've watched in ages. Actually holding my breath during them. 

  • Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Hardest thing to believe was that Kevin Bacon was considered attractive

Very harsh! He may not have been Hollywood handsome, but cousin Kevin definitely had something about him.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...