Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Wild Things - Ridiculous, at least 3 too many twists, but great cast and lots of people having a lot of fun acting in this. Some very sexy shit going down in this too. If I'd have had this on video as a teenager, I never would have left the house. Underratedly funny Bill Murray performance. Contains the most 90s sequence I've ever seen; Matt Dillon is giving a ride to Denise Richards, they're listening to Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind. They stop to offer a lift to Neve Campbell. It cuts to them driving again listening to the Why Can't We Be Friends cover by Smashmouth. 

Edited by gmoney
Posted

Coyote vs Acme is absolutely brilliant, a straight up Looney tunes that is somehow also an incredible deconstruction of the American legal and corporate system, with both hilarious and heartbreaking moments.

  • Paid Members
Posted
9 hours ago, poetofthedeed said:

Coyote vs Acme is absolutely brilliant, a straight up Looney tunes that is somehow also an incredible deconstruction of the American legal and corporate system, with both hilarious and heartbreaking moments.

That sounds exactly how Id imagine Cena to describe it.

  • Members
Posted

Thought I'd let the crap films thread "inspire" me and just watch some shit on Netflix without thinking too much about the choices.

Firstly, Don't Say Good Luck which actually turned out to be quite decent. Yeah, it's about a musical which is obviously shit,  but it has Melanie Lynskey and Sunny Sandler is really good. Steve Buscemi also turns up but I genuinely thought it was John Waters until I looked up the cast. Above average Netflix original. 7/10

Going The Distance I watched because it had Charlie Day, and you know what again this was quite sweet and nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. I'm a big sucker for Drew Barrymore, will watch anything with Christina Applegate and Day and Jason Sudekis were good supports for Justin Long. 6/10

Party Girl was just terrible. I don't know why I put this on, and I never ever quit on films, but I was really tempted. Brendan Filone and more thrillingly Awww-thoooor Bucco from The Sopranos turn up and the 2 marks are for them, and a brief mention of Gang Starr. 2/10

The Sweetest Thing? The SHITTEST Thing. An absolutely awful film that features 3 really fit leads and even that couldn't save it, and again I'll watch Applegate in any old shit. At one point Selma Blair fucks someone in a (I think) Chuck E Cheese costume. 1/10 

Features ones of the worst scenes I've ever seen in film. Honestly horrific.

I also rewatched Go which is just such a fun film and that balanced my mood.

  • Paid Members
Posted
25 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Sweetest Thing? The SHITTEST Thing. An absolutely awful film that features 3 really fit leads and even that couldn't save it, and again I'll watch Applegate in any old shit. At one point Selma Blair fucks someone in a (I think) Chuck E Cheese costume. 1/10 

A truly abysmal film. A girl at my uni halls tried to sell it as a hilarious chick flick, but it’s just so irredeemably shit. I was initially baffled, then bored, then distraught I’d wasted my life watching it. (Strange how the precise emotions are still so clear after almost 25 years). It’s not funny under any circumstances. I don’t know if I’d put below Argylle at the bottom of my shittest film pile but it’s got to be close. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

The Bay (2026)

A new shark film! And do you know what, it was pretty good! 

More about the suspense than silly effects and despite the hammy acting/obvious outcomes for some of the cast, it was as well-paced and didn’t just end as most shark films do. I particularly liked a few scenes where a load of sharks were bouncing around without attacking for no reason. You know, like actual sharks do.

Only about 90 mins and an easy watch. Worth a go. 

Posted

Violets are Blue

Sissy Spacek leaves her small, coastal Maryland town and travels the world, becoming a famous photographer of wars and other historical events. She finally comes home and rekindles her high school romance with Kevin Kline, who runs the local newspaper and has since gotten married and had a kid. There's a problem, there.

I've seen this film before - not this actual film, but this sort of story done in this sort of style - but I'm a sucker for it and Sissy Spacek is just wonderful to watch. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a nice enough 85 minutes. The sort of thing Hollywood just doesn't do anymore, sadly.

Posted

Rhinestone

This was last night's Dolly Parton Tribute Watch. 

Should I have watched it? Perhaps not. Would Straight Talk have been better instead? Probably, yes. Is Rhinestone a good movie? Not really, no.

But I can't bring myself to hate it. I just can't. I watched it for Dolly and she was as good as she ever was. Lit up the screen. Incredible charisma. And any film that has so many of her songs on the soundtrack can't be half bad, can it?

Stallone isn't great in this because he's clearly uneasy about doing so much silly comedy stuff (hard to blame him), but it's not an evil film or anything and I found myself enjoying aspects of it, as ridiculous as it is. 

Also liked reading afterwards about how everyone knew it was a turkey, but they all - especially Dolly and Sly - had so much fun working on it that they had great memories of making it, despite it flopping critically and commercially. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah I watch it a few years ago, and it just isn't as fun as you'd think a movie with Dolly Parton and Sly would be,. 

Posted
Just now, gmoney said:

Yeah I watch it a few years ago, and it just isn't as fun as you'd think a movie with Dolly Parton and Sly would be,. 

This is the thing, isn't it? I love Dolly. I have a lot of time for Stallone. I fucking love me some country music. So a film about that, starring them and made at the height of their powers, should be a winner. It just never gets there, for some reason. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Rhinestone

This was last night's Dolly Parton Tribute Watch. 

9 to 5 is right there!

Posted

I watched Dolly Parton: Here I am. More of a documentary than a film but very much enjoyed it, an extraordinary human being.

Posted
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

9 to 5 is right there!

I know, but I've already seen it! And The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas! And even some made-for-TV stuff like Wild Texas Wind!

I chose Rhinestone because I've been curious about it for a while and always put it off due to its reputation. Felt like her passing gave me the excuse to finally get it over with.

Oh, and I should probably rewatch 9 to 5. It's been awhile.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Coyote vs Acme

What a joyous movie. Timeless looney tunes slapstick, Coyote an absolute star of a character without speaking, inventive and delightful action scenes and Cena perfectly cast as suited representative of evil corporation. Loved it. 
 

Spoiler

Senator Fudd made me so happy, Cena chewing out Tweety Pie was flawless, I’d maybe want more Porky Pig but perhaps it was the right amount. Perfect utilisation of Pepe Le Pew. Luis Guzman as the judge was great as well and I was genuinely a bit moved my Roadrunner’s testimony. 

 

Edited by JLM
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Raksha Bhandan(2022)

Language:Hindi

Subtitles available 

YouTube 

Akshay Kumar stars as a brother to four sisters. He does whatever he can to ensure they are happy. Bound by a promise to his parents that he wouldn't settle until the girls were married. A tale of Indian family culture. Exploring the responsibility of a brother in that environment. The affect on his personal life and that of those around him. 

Recommended. Bollywood does these films right. 

Edited by BigJag

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...