Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I read that there’s hope for Masters of the Universe despite its shit box office. Something about them building out the universe. Some bloke in work watched it and was really pissed off that it was a comedy aimed at kids and how they missed an opportunity to make it gory. Not sure how he arrived at those expectations for a film based on a cartoon created to sell toys to kids like.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I've seen the figures in the middle aisle at my local Aldi. 

I was going to watch it last night but thought it was going to be a bit long so stuck the almost as long Superman 3 on, un wisely followed by Superman 4. At which point I immediately wished I'd just watched Masters Of The Universe instead. Superman 3 has its moments but Richard Prior is wasted in it, literally and figuratively. On the other hand there's nothing Superman 4 does that hasn't been done better in any of the other films preceding it. Thank goodness Golan-Globus decided to trim 45 minutes from it including Clive Mantle as a proto Nuclear Man who's played a little more like Bizarro. 135 minutes of that movie would have been about two hours too much. 

Posted

Enjoyed Masters of the Universe as a daft bit of fluff. It does feel like 3 movies spliced clumsily together (Let's make a Marvel Movie!/ Let's remake Flash Gordon!/ Let's make Barbie for boys!), but it was silly fun. 

Little Brody hated it though, but I suspect that was as much to do with wanting to rewatch the last episode of Amazing Digital Circus as anything else.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

They're not gonna do a sequel to that. It tanked. Nobody really cares about Masters of the Universe anymore even though it was fairly well received. Similar to what the Dungeons & Dragons film went through.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
Posted
On 7/22/2026 at 11:42 PM, Mr_Danger said:

I read that there’s hope for Masters of the Universe despite its shit box office. Something about them building out the universe. Some bloke in work watched it and was really pissed off that it was a comedy aimed at kids and how they missed an opportunity to make it gory. Not sure how he arrived at those expectations for a film based on a cartoon created to sell toys to kids like.

People love the idea of a gory version of the thing they watched when they were kids. Ninja Turtles was always brought up in those conversations as well, Power Rangers too.

Posted
1 hour ago, abucalves said:

People love the idea of a gory version of the thing they watched when they were kids. Ninja Turtles was always brought up in those conversations as well, Power Rangers too.

To be fair, as absurd as it seems to want a He-Man film with limbs getting chopped off in gruesome fashion the fact that the majority audience for the film was older blokes on a nostalgia fest it probably wouldn’t have performed any worse and would have saved them a ton of cash in production. Amazon obviously (and rightly) had bigger plans though, they just didn’t account for the fact no bastard kids know who He-Man is. Doesn’t have the same resonance as Barbie does with both old and young.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 7/22/2026 at 10:33 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

the post credit scenes hinting at a sequel that definitely won’t be happening 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiMn2ige-9gFO3zF6omf_

Posted
34 minutes ago, mim731 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiMn2ige-9gFO3zF6omf_

Memory unlocked of me telling my brother that after the credits you see loads of flowers and nice things and this bit scaring the shit out of him and him crying. It was especially gutting for him because our mum confirmed what I told him as the truth and he felt betrayed. Good times.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Memory unlocked of me telling my brother that after the credits you see loads of flowers and nice things and this bit scaring the shit out of him and him crying. It was especially gutting for him because our mum confirmed what I told him as the truth and he felt betrayed. Good times.

Hahaha that's brilliant. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Thought Project Hail Mary was ultimately really good, but fuck me that first hour is a slog when you watch it at home. It feels like a tech demo for cinema screens. 
Brilliant film but does not need to be nearly 3 hours long.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Watched The Odyssey

 

It was incredible. I went into it with decent expectations but I found it surpassed them. I knew most of the story, but I thought it did a good job at including all the important parts. Most of the casting was good too, and it was both beautifully shot and great soundtrack. The only criticism I had was Telemachus calling his parents "mom" and "dad" - there was a scene near the end where he referred to Odysseus as 'dad' where 'father' would've probably been more appropriate. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

Watched The Odyssey

 

It was incredible. I went into it with decent expectations but I found it surpassed them. I knew most of the story, but I thought it did a good job at including all the important parts. Most of the casting was good too, and it was both beautifully shot and great soundtrack. The only criticism I had was Telemachus calling his parents "mom" and "dad" - there was a scene near the end where he referred to Odysseus as 'dad' where 'father' would've probably been more appropriate. 

The mom and dad thing was the only thing that really took me out at any point. I literally leaned over and grumpily told the Mrs “he should have said father”. She obviously gave me the eye rolling I deserved but it didn’t make me wrong! Other than that I think Nolan got everything right in terms of casting and interpretations (although I’m glad I found out who was playing Agamemnon after the film as that would have distracted me too).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...