Paid Members LaGoosh Posted June 27 Paid Members Posted June 27 Is I Saw The TV Glow considered a horror then? I enjoyed it but I don’t remember it having anything remotely scary or creepy at all. More of a fantasy/drama. Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted June 27 Paid Members Posted June 27 3 hours ago, LaGoosh said: Is I Saw The TV Glow considered a horror then? I enjoyed it but I don’t remember it having anything remotely scary or creepy at all. More of a fantasy/drama. I think it's horrifying, but I wouldn't call it a horror really. It's only scary existentially. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 28 Posted June 28 How many times you watched Voicemails for Isabelle so far @SuperBacon? Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 28 Members Posted June 28 9 hours ago, Mr_Danger said: How many times you watched Voicemails for Isabelle so far @SuperBacon? Never even heard of it, might pop it on later. I did watch The Running Man (2025) yesterday though and thought it was a right old romp. Distinct enough from the original not to annoy fans of Arnie, and some good old violence. Powell is great. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted June 28 Posted June 28 6 hours ago, SuperBacon said: I did watch The Running Man (2025) yesterday though and thought it was a right old romp. Distinct enough from the original not to annoy fans of Arnie, and some good old violence. Powell is great. It was better than I thought it was going to be, but I doubt I’d ever watch it again. I do love how David Zayas got his name in the opening credits for what must’ve amounted to a whole hours work though. Easiest pay day he’s ever had Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted June 28 Members Posted June 28 15 hours ago, Mr_Danger said: How many times you watched Voicemails for Isabelle so far @SuperBacon? This was very sweet, watched it with my eldest. Zoey Deutch has enough charisma and charm to carry any old shit, but this is a decent film, with a good concept. Wept a few tears throughout (I cry at pet insurance commercials so nothing new) but there's enough laughs to combat the sadness, especially Nick Offerman who's a treat. Solid 7/10 Quote
Mr_Danger Posted June 28 Posted June 28 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: This was very sweet, watched it with my eldest. Zoey Deutch has enough charisma and charm to carry any old shit, but this is a decent film, with a good concept. Wept a few tears throughout (I cry at pet insurance commercials so nothing new) but there's enough laughs to combat the sadness, especially Nick Offerman who's a treat. Solid 7/10 Surprisingly high end for Netflix algorithm fodder. As you say Zoey Deutch is as good as you’d expect but the material doesn’t need that much lifting to be fair. A lot closer to classic 90’s romcom than Lacey Chabert movie of the week anyway. Nick Robinson is a very handsome bastard with unreasonably good hair too. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted June 28 Paid Members Posted June 28 Out of morbid curiosity before watching this year’s remakes, I watched Supergirl (1984) and Masters of the Universe (1987). I can confirm that as an idiot child in the nineties, with limited access to films on VHS, I must have developed an amazing ability to enjoy anything. I watched these all the time and thought they were great. They are not. They’re complete rubbish. Not even in a so-bad-it’s-good-way. It’s in a how-did-anyone-ever-work-again way. Might finish the trilogy and watch Superman 4. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted June 28 Moderators Posted June 28 Good to know. I watched that Supergirl movie so much as a kid I was planning to do the same. I'll give it a miss then... Quote
Merzbow Posted June 28 Posted June 28 Didn't Masters of The Universe have like 3/4 of the film be on planet Earth shite? Barely being a He-Man film at all because they didn't have the budget or skill to make Eternia. Quote
Paid Members John Matrix Posted June 28 Paid Members Posted June 28 1 hour ago, Supremo said: Out of morbid curiosity before watching this year’s remakes, I watched Supergirl (1984) and Masters of the Universe (1987). I can confirm that as an idiot child in the nineties, with limited access to films on VHS, I must have developed an amazing ability to enjoy anything. I watched these all the time and thought they were great. They are not. They’re complete rubbish. Not even in a so-bad-it’s-good-way. It’s in a how-did-anyone-ever-work-again way. Might finish the trilogy and watch Superman 4. As an unashamed He-Man mark (textbook demographic) I have vivid memories of only my second ever trip to the cinema to watch Dolph do his thing - sitting with a bunch of other equally enthusiastic, feral six year olds on the floor between the front row of seats and the screen, wondering about 20 minutes in whether they were showing the right film. Where the fuck was Orko? Naturally I dragged my kids to see the new one and save for some overly jarring comedy in the first third, I actually really enjoyed it. Could have done without Adam being quite such a dipshit and I imagine like most raised on the original combo of He-Man and 80’s WWF, I couldn’t help but feel the actor was too gassed to play Adam, and nowhere near gassed enough to play He-Man. But from the Snake Mountain fight onwards, it really finds its rhythm with Jared Leto proving it is impossible to be a shit Skeletor. As always with these nostalgia trips, some lovely Easter eggs - I got a good kick out of the hands on hips belly laugh at the end, and a special twitch when the original theme kicked in. Would be well up for a sequel all things considered, as an origin story of sorts, there’s plenty of ground to cover still. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted June 28 Paid Members Posted June 28 1 hour ago, Supremo said: They’re complete rubbish. Not even in a so-bad-it’s-good-way. It’s in a how-did-anyone-ever-work-again way. Langella's performance as Skeletor is worth the cost of the anniversary edition blu-ray. "I. AM. A. GOD." 45 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Barely being a He-Man film at all because they didn't have the budget or skill to make Eternia They didn't even have the money to finish the film. They guerilla filmed the final battle so that they had a finished product. He-Man fighting Skeletor in the dark with a single light wasn't entirely an artistic choice. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted June 28 Paid Members Posted June 28 17 minutes ago, johnnyboy said: Langella's performance as Skeletor is worth the cost of the anniversary edition blu-ray. "I. AM. A. GOD." They didn't even have the money to finish the film. They guerilla filmed the final battle so that they had a finished product. He-Man fighting Skeletor in the dark with a single light wasn't entirely an artistic choice. Yep. They couldn't afford to keep renting the studio and were locked out, so they broke in and filmed it under that red light. @Chris B told me about the documentary of Cannon Films, who made it - they were a bunch of chancers who decided they would make their money by making sequels, like Death Wish 2, 3, & 4, and Superman IV. Quote
Paid Members johnnyboy Posted June 29 Paid Members Posted June 29 (edited) 8 hours ago, Carbomb said: @Chris B told me about the documentary of Cannon Films, who made it - they were a bunch of chancers who decided they would make their money by making sequels, like Death Wish 2, 3, & 4, and Superman IV. There are a couple of documentaries. Electric Boogaloo, which is the good one, and then in true Cannon films style there's The Go-Go Boys which was about Golan and Globus which was a rush job seemingly to compete with and ride on the coat-tails of Electric Boogaloo. If anyone wants to watch one Electric Boogaloo is highly recommended. GGB only if you're a weird completest/want to see an Israeli cinema puff piece. Edited June 29 by johnnyboy Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted June 29 Paid Members Posted June 29 Hokum I liked it a lot! I enjoyed the directors previous film Oddity but that film also felt like a low budget film with some lower quality production and acting that brought it down a little bit. However Hokum didn't have those issues and felt like an improvement on every level. Great jump scares (that didn't feel like shortcuts), wonderful creepy folk horror vibe throughout with plenty of twists and turns and I was fully invested in the characters. With this, Obsession and Backrooms it's been a great year for horror. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.