WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I'm Johnny Xbox so I'm pre-ordering Series X on Tuesday but the PS5 pandemonium has me panicked a bit. But I'll also be getting my boy the Series S as well as he doesn't have a 4k telly and I almost always need his help to play any games I like these days...

8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I've seen a couple of reviews on YouTube. Unsurprisingly it's micro transaction full. They say 70 wrestlers at launch but you actually get 20 and have to buy the others or earn points to buy. Wrestlers fall into groups such as brawlers, high flyer, technical and all rounder and all wrestlers in each group fall are basically just a skin change. Storyline is done via comic panels rather than any cut scenes. 

In case anyone's arsed, just jumping in to confirm all of this. There are 6 or 7 classes (brawlers, high flyers etc) and everyone in each class shares the same identical moveset apart from a single signature and finisher, and the movesets themselves are extremely limited. Like, in the main 2K games, each wrestler might have 20 or so options from a standing grapple position, but here you get less than 10, along with 3 diving attacks, 3 running attacks and a single submission. It feels like there are half a dozen different characters and the other 60 or so lads are nothing more than re-skins. I get that the idea was to make something that's easy to pick up and play, but it's limited to the point where you've seen pretty much everything after an hour or so and there's very little motivation to work through the story mode to unlock the rest of the roster. 

There's loads of slowdown too, at least on a standard Xbone. It's locked up a couple of times and when it unfreezes itself everyone's in a completely different place to where they were when it first froze up. And there's some sort of wacky move that starts from an airplane spin position and the person taking the move always disappears completely for a second whenever he's first lifted onto the other lad's shoulder. And the commentary's still shit, but this time it's Jerry Lawler screaming and yelping all over the place and Mauro Ranallo turning up with an overenthusiastic "WOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW" now and again. 

So yeah. Not boss.

• Paid Members

I'm loving it so far, but then I play through 64 every few years anyway much as I do with World. 

All I'm after is a chance to play it handheld with controls that aren't shite, so I'm happy. Save states would have been nice though. 

Having never played Sunshine I'm interested to try it, but it's galaxy I'm now wondering most about, I loved it at the time but can't remember enough to know if it'll stand up still or if I'm blinded by nostalgia. I'll give it a go proper over the weekend. 

• Paid Members

Add me to the disappointed list for Mario 3D Allstars. Even the original Mario All Stars offered remastered graphics. An option to have original or HD graphics would have been appreciated. Right now it feels like I’ve paid for a Virtual Console/Rom. Also, it’s my first time playing 64 since the early 00’s. Maybe because I just finished Odyssey, but it’s not aged well, especially the controls and camera. Feels a lot for £50

6 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Add me to the disappointed list for Mario 3D Allstars. Even the original Mario All Stars offered remastered graphics. An option to have original or HD graphics would have been appreciated. Right now it feels like I’ve paid for a Virtual Console/Rom. Also, it’s my first time playing 64 since the early 00’s. Maybe because I just finished Odyssey, but it’s not aged well, especially the controls and camera. Feels a lot for £50

Probably is but Nintendo marketed that 'limited edition' to it and knew people wouldn't wait for reviews. They had to put no effort into improving it and people bought it anyway. If Nintendo were going to remaster 64 they would sell it for £45 because Nintendo are as tight as a gnat's khyber. 

This may be of use to someone: Football Manager 2020 (PC) is a free download from Epic Games (Ends 24th September).

First FM game I have played since the 2012 version and I have found it a bit overwhelming.

Also got Mario 3D all stars, not played it yet but looking forward to it.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

2 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

First FM game I have played since the 2012 version and I have found it a bit overwhelming.

I wondered about this. Would you say it's pretty much bewildering to someone who's never touched the series before?

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

But look how brilliant it clearly is...

It does look good fun. The character model for Andre is great.

Does Takers hat stay glued to his head?

@CAREBEAR LUVVA mentioned that the game suffers from slowdown.  Is that lazy programming? Or is this game really pushing the current gen systems that hard?

Edited by BigJag