WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

10 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

So who has the hands-on opinions for THPS? I'm still feeling weary about the franchise, stemming from the THPS5 debacle so i don't want to throw my cash down just yet, but I trust most (okay, some) of the voices on this board. I'm really wanting it to be great but I also realise that it's modern gaming and has every chance to be sabotaged and shite.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is fantastic. 

I'd recommend treating yourself to THPS. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, gmoney said:

I don't know, what the fuck is is? Can we put a moratorium on abbreviations if you haven't said what it stands for in the first sentence, to help out thickos like me? This isn't the Transformers thread. 

I mean, THPS is a very common online abbreviation for Tony Hawk games, but if this were real life I'd definitely be referring to it as "Skatey skate ska-punk".

7 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is fantastic. 

I'd recommend treating yourself to THPS. 

Cheers! Saturday night is sorted then. Phat air.

It definitely takes some getting used to.

I'd use the d-pad if I was on PlayStation but I'm using an Xbox controller with my PC so its nubby little stick - which I find too small anyway - is still better than its negligible d-pad. 

I'm pretty much used to it now, but I did find that I was only busting tricks in the four main directions quite a lot. 

My only minor gripe is that they included the revert - which wasn't introduced until 3 - but didn't really tool up the classic maps enough to make vert skating that useful. 

But virtually everything else about it feels fantastic. I'm doing what I done in the old days, just booting up a map to free skate and then realising I've been hypnotically doing lines around it for the better part of an hour. I feel like getting a bit of green to round out the nostalgia. 

5 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

It definitely takes some getting used to.

I'd use the d-pad if I was on PlayStation but I'm using an Xbox controller with my PC so its nubby little stick - which I find too small anyway - is still better than its negligible d-pad. 

I'm pretty much used to it now, but I did find that I was only busting tricks in the four main directions quite a lot. 

My only minor gripe is that they included the revert - which wasn't introduced until 3 - but didn't really tool up the classic maps enough to make vert skating that useful. 

But virtually everything else about it feels fantastic. I'm doing what I done in the old days, just booting up a map to free skate and then realising I've been hypnotically doing lines around it for the better part of an hour. I feel like getting a bit of green to round out the nostalgia. 

There's a setting that limits the moves to THPS 1 or 2 moves, so you can play it in a much more old school fashion. Otherwise it's pretty much the engine from 4.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

There's a setting that limits the moves to THPS 1 or 2 moves, so you can play it in a much more old school fashion. Otherwise it's pretty much the engine from 4.

You're right, I guess it's just a convenience like fast travel, one that you will invariably use. It's not a huge deal, to be honest. You can still work it into street lines etc. It only got ridiculous from 4 on where spine transfers made it possible to defy gravity from virtually any airspace and ensure you landed cleanly on something sloped!

Just had a peek at the create a skatepark, too. This isn't your PS1 create a skatepark! Can't wait to see what people come up with on it. 

Yeah, I'm loving this. 

I think I’ve broken Dark Souls. I’m on my march towards the final boss soul before I can go fuck Gwyn up and everything is a one or two hit kill with my one hand wielding upgraded Dragon Tooth or Black Knight sword that has served me from the Undead Burg. Every boss is 2/3 tries max and my biggest killer is ledges and janky lock on (get to fuck Crystal Cave).

It’s been a blast and I’m definitely going to give Bloodborne another go at some point but I think it’s been playing it on handheld that’s really enhanced it. The bad movement (which is somewhat deliberate you’d think) and dated look don’t stand out on the Switch and being able to grind for souls whilst shitting is great.

One thing I didn’t realise was how much GoW and BotW took from the game. It’s wild that two of my favourite games both ripped off the mechanics and combat of this game and it’s taken me this long to get in to it. Great game.